Holden Astra 2001 cambelt query

donz01, Jul 23, 9:45am
My wife drives an 1800 cc 2001 Astra that quietly died today. Investigations so far reveal the cam belt tensioner had come off due to the retaining bolt breaking off level with the block. Do the valves hit the pistons on these engines if the belt breaks etc! I know the 2.0 vectra pistons hit and bends the valves etc but dont know if the Astra engine does the same. Its a twin cam model and I assume that they will hit, just wanting to know for certain.

carmedic, Jul 23, 9:52am
Yes they do bend valves, that bolt comes with the tensioner/kit was it replaced and correctly tightened (only 20Nm) when the last belt was done!

donz01, Jul 23, 10:02am
Cheers for that. An ex work mate has a complete motor that is siezed and is happy to help me out with another head if it all checks out ok. Does anyone know the engine code for the motor. It is a 2001 ecotech twin cam 1800cc.

carmedic, Jul 23, 10:17am
Probably Z18XE, look for a sticker on the timing belt cover, otherwise where the gearbox joins onto the block there??

thejazzpianoma, Jul 23, 11:53am
Quick tip,
Before you stick the head on, replace the exhaust manifold studs with new ones (just grab a bag of them from an engineering shop, they are cheap). They tend to snap and can be nearly impossible to drill out and replace with the head on the engine. So great chance to save some pain later.
Not unusual to see several broken on those.

donz01, Jul 24, 8:43am
x1
Cheers carmedic, just went and checked for the code and it is the Z18XE like you said. Its starting to look like I will order all the bits (complete head gasket set, all new head bolts, valves and valve guides etc) from the UK for 125 pound and rebuild our head. NZ $243 including postage from the UK to NZ seem like a good start to rebuild our head.

treachug, Jul 24, 8:52am
donz01, I have purchased several Astra head rebuild kits from the UK before, I used seller trechii on ebay. Good quality product & excellent service. Also like mentioned above you MUST use a new bolt to hold on the tensioner - maybe that was the issue with the old one .the bolt was reused!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 24, 10:25am
Totally the way to go. I have imported Vauxhall/Opal parts from the U.K with great success. Vaux world (if I remember correctly) is one I have dealt with in past and got on really well.

If you order on Monday the parts are just about here by Friday. The savings are huge. Don't forget to include other bits like a set of spark plugs, timing belt kit etc as even those will be a fraction of the price and well worth getting sent in the pack.

Just remember to keep your order below $400 NZD excluding postage to avoid GST and a delay with customs.

donz01, Jul 24, 10:44am
Yes I got them coming from Trechii, can only get the complete head rebuild kit. Would have also liked to have got a new bolt and water pump how ever none are listed so will buy them locally.The original bolt was replaced with another used bolt as half the thread was gone in the block. Some where along the line it may have been loctited in. The block now has a helicoil in it and now we will remove the head etc while we wait for the parts to arrive.

treachug, Jul 24, 7:25pm
If anyone cannot supply a bolt locally, I have a genuine new one tucked away, you know how to get hold of me.

donz01, Jul 25, 8:59am
Cheers Treachug, 1 arrives tomorrow. I remember and all worked out well with those Gemini weather seals from your place in Aussie. The man there did not know if they would fit. Let him know they are the same. 1 bag was labelled wrong but luckily I only had to cut about 300mm of it.

guest, Feb 14, 8:09am
Looking for used block for 99 Opel Astra 1.6 (X16XEL engine).