VW Golf '98 bonnet won't open

karlo, Aug 28, 8:46am
I went to open the bonnet on my 1998 Golf GL and it wouldn't unlatch from inside. I've pulled really hard on the cable but it seems stuck and nothing is happening. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do!

mugenb20b, Aug 28, 8:49am
Pull the cable and thump the bonnet with your fist at the same time.

karlo, Aug 28, 8:55am
thanks but have already tried that several times

extrayda, Aug 28, 8:59am
get someone to push down on the front of the bonnet while you pull the cable.If it still works the way bonnets used to, that may free it up.If it opens make sure to find out what the problem is and fix it before you close it again ;-)

extrayda, Aug 28, 9:00am
oops to clarify.
1/. Get someone to push down on the bonnet and keep pushing.
2/. Pull release lever and hold out
3/. Release bonnet.

Good luck ;-)

intrade, Aug 28, 9:02am
you have to tell if it is a mk 3 or the mk4 golf. secoundly hitting the bonnet wont do nothing apart from a dent. you need 1 person pushing the bonnet down with both hands for maximum distribution of the force and the other person pulls the leaver inside and while the inside person pulls the person pushing the bonnet lets go of the bonnet abbruptly and it should pop open.
Otherwise you will have to know what it is mk3 or 4 and how the locking mechanism works , usually with some messing thru the grill and a hoock like screwdriver.

intrade, Aug 28, 9:03am
snap and then lube the mechanism and find out why it was stuck

karlo, Aug 28, 9:06am
I took off the bonnet release handle to expose the cable and pulled hard with a claw hammer while someone was pushing the bonnet down - the cable came out maybe 20cm but still won't release.

skiff1, Aug 28, 9:08am
x1
dont bother, drive it till it blows up and then abandon it on the side of the road. one less VW, you would be doing gods work

karlo, Aug 28, 9:12am
I believe its Mk 3

intrade, Aug 28, 9:16am
if it came out 20 cm that means you ripped it apart and you have to open the mechanism now thru the grill . You want to study the mechanism of a other same car and see how you can open it from outside.then you need to replace the release cable with a new one.

intrade, Aug 28, 9:24am
that is the mk2 usually the cable pulls a leaver to one side you will need a bright torch and home made tools to pull the leaver thru the grill. meaning shift it from one side towards the headlight, doing the job the cable would do , somtimesyou can grab the cable and pull it out of the grill and open it that way after repair of cable or replacment is required depending where it snapped.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php!5395341-Post-your-home-made-parts&p=73059839

extrayda, Aug 28, 10:34am
sorry to hijack thread. intrade, was it you that owns an Integrale!
I saw two of them in Auckland the other day, unusual to see any.

mugenb20b, Aug 28, 7:33pm
This worked for me on every single car that had a sticky catch, and I haven't dented any bonnets yet. You only need to give it a light hit on the corner of the bonnet near the driver's door. If it doesn't work, then plan B.

karlo, Aug 28, 8:30pm
What exactly IS plan B!

r15, Aug 28, 8:34pm
sell the car as is where is, $1 res, buy a jappa

intrade, Aug 28, 8:35pm
na i dont own any lancia peteb_2 used to owna hf-turbo integrale 4x4 that he wanted to sell for 24 grandI like cars that dont use much fuel only

mugenb20b, Aug 28, 8:40pm
Post #5.

intrade, Aug 28, 9:04pm
the cable is broken he has to open it thru the grill. if you cant do it pay somone to do it60$ should cover the time to open it as a mechanic should have made some suitable tool within 45 minutes to pop the bonnet thru the grill.

r15, Aug 28, 9:10pm
see #17 - best longterm plan