Car Yard $1Res / Whoops Buynow!?

Page 1 / 2
zephyrheaven, Aug 8, 7:04pm
Well, I bet the guy listing it is buying smoko for the month.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/7442603/Dealers-mistake-sees-car-sold-for-1

strobo, Aug 8, 7:13pm
sounds like a promo for the business

fryan1962, Aug 8, 8:44pm
I just read cant believe they went through with the deal,

thejazzpianoma, Aug 8, 9:09pm
I would say they have easily had $3000 worth of good press out of that incident. Its win/win IMO.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 8, 9:10pm
It was a great business decision to do so. Most people reading the article are not only going to feel a little sorry for the business they are going to be impressed that they are honorable enough to follow through with the sale.

You can't buy press like that!

gmphil, Aug 8, 10:12pm
Wow a true real dollar auction on trade me lol no im seeing things

flitt, Aug 8, 10:17pm
There's a pic of the buyer there now. And that appears to be the dealer next to him.

They look like they are brothers. Surely not though.

carlie, Aug 8, 10:26pm
Think about it, the attention the dealer is attracting is worth way more than the money he has lost on the car. And it is positive attention to boot. Very cheap and clever advertising IMO.

desertcolt07, Aug 8, 10:31pm
sounds like advertising stunt

smac, Aug 8, 10:55pm
Ha! Yeah spooky. Happens though. One of the rowing medallists looks like the the twin of my neighbour, but no relation apparently. Weird. Maybe there's only a certain number of different humans out there!

carlie, Aug 8, 11:04pm
Maybe cousins. They do look remarkably alike though.

jason18, Aug 9, 2:23am
Search BIGNZ his apparent username and his account has been closed. Wierd!

pauloc, Aug 9, 3:04am
Wonder how it got into the newspaper!

gwimweeper, Aug 9, 4:23am
One wonders if the Bignz account being closed so soon after the $1 auction was coincidence, or had something to do with the auction.

trdbzr, Aug 9, 4:31am
They do look alike, and it is dodgy how the account was closed right afterwards. Something smells fishy.

mrfxit, Aug 9, 4:37am
As for going ahead with the deal

There are several reasons why a $1 reserve/buynow won't be honored in law.

Rarity/ frequency of the event for that company/person
Total market value /intended asking value of the product
Auction/sale wording that doesn't relate correctly to the $1 sale/buynow
Number of media places involved with the same listing & mistake

Excess's of the above examples will in most cases see you having to honor the deal

supernova2, Aug 9, 4:54am
Just a thought.If you set a $1 reserve would that not mean you are prepared to sell for a $1!So if you then set a buynow (mistake or othwise) of a $1 have you not just confirmed that you actually intended to sell for a $1!If the yard make a habit of offering at $1 reserve then they have established that their normal business is to take the chance of only receiving a $1 for their cars.IMHO they didn't have an option, however I think it was a publicity stunt.

mrfxit, Aug 9, 4:59am
THATS what I just said.
If it's a habit, then you have to honor the deal

poppajn, Aug 9, 5:28am
I think the buyer was themselves and thats why the TM account is now closed.

neal, Aug 9, 6:22am
listened to the saleman on the radio a hour or so again. yes, it was a scam . you could hear it in his voice. he thought the whole thing was a joke

superdave0_13, Aug 9, 6:25am
Might be looking for a new job if the owners weren't in on it.

zephyrheaven, Aug 9, 6:54am
Hey its all Fairfax so no worries, Stadium spend loads on advertising so who loses!
Did lol at the tiny mention in the toilet paper we call "The Press" down here - thought it would be at least page two, but wait - it wasnt full of badly drawn diagrams & some angsty people that dont know how to lodge a claim with EQC so its passe

phillip.weston, Aug 9, 6:54am
turns out the buyer got trademe to remove their account so media and other people could not call them - their phone was going flat out afterwards supposedly.

fordcrzy, Aug 9, 6:55am
how did the press find out! i mean do they keep atrack of every transaction! it was a scam/stunt for sure

zephyrheaven, Aug 9, 6:56am
The Press is owned by Fairfax - so is trademe, wouldnt take a 5 year old to work out the relationship