5afe Corolla with blown head gskt

mum2.4, Aug 28, 9:42pm
just bought one dirt cheap with blown head gskt,Do you know if there is anything else we should be weary off! Bought it to do as a homer then am going to gift to my parents at Xmas. I know we need to get the head planed.
Any other suggestions!

intrade, Aug 28, 9:51pm
well find out why it has blowen the gasket. like blocked radiator leaking hosestuffed waterpump . non opening thermostat for a few examples . its got to have had a couse .

intrade, Aug 28, 9:52pm
you dont need to pane the head just checking if its not bent or cracked and if it is bent you need to plane and crack test it.

intrade, Aug 28, 9:54pm
ps head gasket is cheapest from supercheap auto rest from partsmaster like new headbolts etc. radiators from the guy who sells on here A1 or silverdale.

mum2.4, Aug 28, 9:54pm
oh really, i thought i should just get it done. Are you saying do a visual check first! sorry to sound stupid. Im a girl

mum2.4, Aug 28, 9:55pm
im lucky, I work at Toyota so it will be a sweet cheap job. :)

intrade, Aug 28, 9:57pm
you check the head with a straight edge a special one visual check with that tool.probably has a other more fancy name we call it hair-line- edge

intrade, Aug 28, 10:02pm
http://www.feinewerkzeuge.de/haarlineal1.jpg
thats the tool dont know its english name best to have one of the whole lenght of the head and another shorter one . with this you can tell 100% if it is bent or not just by looking should be no air and if the same gap almost all the way . be huge mother gaps of air visible if it is bent.

mum2.4, Aug 28, 10:06pm
thanks intrade.

franc123, Aug 28, 11:49pm
So why ask for advice here if you already know who is doing the work and got instant access to gasket prices via parts!

mum2.4, Aug 28, 11:59pm
duh were does it say Toyota will be doing the job. It doesnt. Never asked for gasket price either!

mum2.4, Aug 29, 12:01am
BOUGHT TO DO AS A HOMER.

pinga08, Aug 30, 8:12pm
firstly i would hardness test the head if ok get it crack tested and surfaced then your up for headset and head bolts then get radiator cleaned and a new waterpump and your on your way.

frank1, Aug 31, 7:58am
As some say on here-check head for straightness-head face AND CAM TUNNELS,--if head is not straight through cam tunnels it will have to be straightened,meaning all valves and seats will have to be refaced,and as said hardness tested and pressure tested for cracks.
Good luck

msigg, Oct 11, 1:16pm
Toyota agents will know what to do with it. Hope the price works out for ya.