Building a drag car finally

Page 1 / 2
quickstitch, Aug 29, 8:14am
my mates have talked me into it. after owning/building many fast street cars and never taken one down the strip, Have been a keen drag photographer for years, and helped two mates with their drag cars for years also.i have decided to build one. i have a XE falcon body in my garage and enough parts to build a stout motor so its a good a time as any. Any idea on cost for a 6 point rollcage and who does it locally, im in Onehunga, and depending on cost, chromoly. Will start out as a street/strip car but if it doesn't consume too much money then i might make it a competition car only. Got a sponsor already so that a good start.

attitudedesignz, Aug 29, 8:17am
Sorry quick', nothing to add except.hahahahah-
aha at above hopeful thinking comment. (been there done that)

morrisman1, Aug 29, 8:21am
I would think it will be cheaper to make it a competition car only rather than a street/strip car. That way you arent spending as much on making it road legal too and all the compromises which go with that.

quickstitch, Aug 29, 8:22am
I'm am realistic, i have built many cars before so i know what to expect there. it just the racing and breaking side of things that may suck too much money. If there is minimal breaking (or crashing) then all should be good.

morrisman1, Aug 29, 8:24am
Precisely why my project doesn't have a turbocharger lol. They turn money into boost and metal shrapnel.

quickstitch, Aug 29, 8:24am
I just like the idea of being able to race all year round. Competition cars only run for 5-6 months and streeet cars get to use the track all year round.

splinter67, Aug 29, 8:30am
I like the consume too much money bit Id love to put up how much its cost me but the wife looks on here occasionally and what she dosent know wont hurther

andrewrender, Aug 29, 8:42am
Hey QS

I am a crew member for Adam Wigg with the Thrill Performance Skyline. The entire car was built by Adam and his Dad, Frank. Frank has been building cars for a good number of years and is still doing it. I have contact details if you would like them. I have seen his handy work in detail first hand as I been involved with the car right from the pile of chromoloy sitting on the garage floor to what you see now. He is currently based in Henderson.

whqqsh, Aug 29, 8:55am
always amazed how many fast cars out there havent been on a strip. hell I even ran an worn out old stock VN V6 Calais to see what she'd do (didnt think 16.4 was too bad). Club days are great for a quick look & most clubs are happy for visitors to boost the numbers.
Surprised how many performance cars advertised on here quote how much spent & projected/estimated performance figures but not actual dyno sheets or 1/4 mile times

quickstitch, Aug 29, 8:58am
cheers Andrew, sounds like a good start but was hoping for somewhere closer as i don't have a car trailer and will probably drive there on open headers. I s'pose i can do the exhaust before the rollcage. thinking about it, i can do without a rollcage if i only run it as a street car, don't think i will be breaking into the 10s bracket in the first season, but it would be nice if i did.

quickstitch, Aug 29, 9:01am
i did sell one of my falcons to a guy who took it to the strip and ran a 12.4. And all he did was change the diff ratio.

andrewrender, Aug 29, 9:10am
You will soon get the bug and be hooked - I have never actually been down the strip but just being there at the track and been part of a race team is an awesome feeling. The 6 months between the end of the season and start of the next seem to drag on - pardon the pun. You can't beat the smell of methanol and VHT in the morning.

quickstitch, Aug 29, 9:13am
I don't use digital, i'm more old school, 35mm SLR camera. I'm prepared to spend more than 10K, my motor will cost at least 12k, have spent $4000 on parts so far, another $3500 for a set of heads, i could do it cheaper using a strong motor i already have but a 13 second time slip just won't do.

clark20, Aug 29, 10:01am
Close to you but not cheap

http://www.namsport.co.nz/classic-fabrication/

And

Road Race & Rally Ltd
+64 9 525 7366
Unit 18
10 Olive Road
Auckland

74nova, Aug 29, 6:33pm
What times are you hoping to run! Any thing over 11 sec don't need a cage. If your looking quicker than 11 sec then it gets expensive.

gadgit3, Aug 29, 7:20pm
Have you thought about looking out for a cheap NZV8! with the class changing next season there will be a few coming up. This would give you a good brake package, hubs and stubs, drive line (ditch the motor) seating/belts, usable cage if you wanted to cut it up, fuel pumps/lines/fittings ect dash and switchs. most of the bits and spares for a fraction of the cost to go into the XE.Just a thought

xpfairmont, Aug 29, 9:05pm
I done it once, but just a street car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=616Z6Z1W7Js&feature=youtu.be

quickstitch, Aug 30, 7:06am
in the 10's would be nice but i think ii will in the 12 sec range, and hopefully 11's after a bit of sorting and $$$$ thrown at it.10's are what i expect if all goes well. So far i have got a eagle 393 stroker kit, and i think i will get either AFR or CHI alloy heads, I think my 4Vs will limit me to around 550 HP whereas the CHI heads are 600 out of the box. I would like to use the 4Vs as i have a nice twin tunnelram, and i dont think CHI heads work with 4V intake manifolds. I have to do some research on the AFR heads, as i think they make a head that takes 4V intakes, just got to see what sort of power they create.

fordkiwi27, Aug 30, 7:15am
my next car will be a ford torino cobra. 69. with 428. then get another 428 crate motor and drag it.

quickstitch, Aug 30, 7:25am
have you given up on the cabbage tree slalom racing !

sw20, Aug 30, 8:11am
Wow. Spending how much for 12 second passes!

quickstitch, Aug 30, 8:51am
probably $25000, and that should get me 11s

fordkiwi27, Aug 30, 11:23am
fark thats the domain of my old63.good car that one

cuda.340, Aug 30, 11:23am
hey ahh Quickstitch, it might be a bit out of your league but it's right up your alley, i just heard the Tullys who had the XF Falcon, just bought the ex Keys Mercedes. kinda think a certain falcon might be up for sale soon! as a guess! good strong body & chassis for what you want, race proven 7! sec chassis there. just saying.
also you need an 8 point cage if you want to put any decent power thru a falcon, you need to tie the front into the back, the chassis will soak up nearly half a second if it's not tied in.

fordkiwi27, Aug 30, 11:24am
7s! with 2000hp!