Great recommendation for VW (and the mechanic!).

rpvr, Aug 29, 2:42am
Take a look at this listing: 508690400 . 130,000k and needs a new engine! Seriously, this is surely just a case of a very incompetent mechanic.

splinter67, Aug 29, 2:46am
Youve done it now Im sure I can hear those keys tapping away from here

rpvr, Aug 29, 2:49am
Mind you, if it was serviced at Midas, anything is possible.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 29, 3:05am
1. Those old Polo's are pretty poo. I wouldn't have one. The MK4 Golf, hang yes!, Polo, no.

2. That said, if the mechanic can't diagnose the fault on a simple little car like that chances are they should not be trusted to work on a lawnmower. (That age Polo may have its niggly faults and the odd access issue but its a fundamentally simple vehicle by any standard of the time)

I suggest people actually look at the listing to see what we are talking about.

saxman99, Aug 29, 3:09am
Do I read this right!

The car was running, but stalling at idle.

It was taken to a "mechanic" who couldn't diagnose the fault.

Lots of money spent on new bits it may or may not have needed.

The car now doesnt run at all.Nobody knows why.

The owner says "oh well, time to sell it as is".

!

splinter67, Aug 29, 3:23am
And mechanics wonder why the average joe blogs have trust issues with them with clowns like this about its no wonder

rpvr, Aug 29, 3:48am
You sound as amazed as I was when I read it. I would be getting another opinion from a (hopefully) competent mechanic, and looking for reimbursement for any work done unnecessarily.

msigg, Aug 29, 9:15am
Best thing is to get rid of it, nothing worse than an unreliable car.

mantagsi, Aug 29, 9:18am
One fault does not an unreliable car make. Granted, the merits of these polos are highly debateable, and there is a very high chance your advice is dead on, but it could be something utterly stupid and easy to fix. I would be keen to have a play with it but not for 22 notes, meh

bex25388, Aug 29, 9:22am
Needs a new fuel pump! boom im a mechanic and i didn't even know it.

morrisman1, Aug 29, 9:50am
or a cambelt lol, why would a cambelt stop it from idling unless timing was out. I dont believe that you couldn't verify the timing without replacing the belt.

franc123, Aug 29, 9:51am
LMAO theres one critical component that isn't on that list, and I'd put money on it that its the problem, its a trap if you don't know about it, how it should be tested and the symptoms it gives. Most Veetroubleu gurus know about it, as do the more clued up AA roadservice staff, as its common on Polos of the era. Now that its died outright it won't be hard to diagnose, and the recent bout of extremely wet weather would have accelerated its gradual death. Any bright spark should be able to work it out.

clark20, Aug 29, 9:53am
It was a "full" service, Oil AND filter.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 29, 10:02am
O.K I'll bite. coil pack!
Those are pretty common on older VW's. Can't tell you about the Polo's for certain because I avoid them but Golf/Passat etc its pretty common.

incar., Aug 29, 1:03pm
lols fit a new engine and it still wont start

kazbanz, Aug 29, 3:04pm
Its so common that you can't buy a second hand one for love or money.
Never never never wash the engine bay of a polo of this age-its that common

whqqsh, Aug 29, 4:45pm
I fixed a jappa on the roadside for a guy once, had same issue but a bit of lecky tape fixed the split in his air hose right before a sensor

slarty45, Aug 29, 7:07pm

franc123, Aug 30, 12:44am
You're on to it. Whats even more funny is that if you are very lucky,and the car belongs to a female who's got a bottle of nail polish handy it is possible to fix it, well at least temporarily. It can get you out of trouble if you are stuck somewhere.

supernova2, Aug 30, 12:51am
Some sort of electrical shortcuirct!But why would that cause it to not idle but run!Obviously now it wont run so is it the same fault or is there now 2 problems!Never found the need to work on a Polo so have no idea what this well known fault is.

annrob, Aug 30, 9:16am
This is why I love my mechanic, not always right, but always honest.
And my car is going, and going and going. Actually, maybe I need to find the VW mechanic, want a new car!