Air bag steering wheel vs front mount cert

hijacka, Aug 26, 10:17am
So i put my car in for a wofthe other day as its overdue, I don't often drive it at the mo but thought i'd take in and see. It failed on cert required for front mount because of airbag steering wheel and cert for lower rear adjustment arms.
I don't really want to get a cert just yet as my new turbo setup, adjustable sus etc that i haven't installed yet is going to need certing anyway so want to hold off for another 6months.
So can i put the original arms back on the rear and a aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag on and pass a wof even thou i failed 1st time re fmic!I have no airbag light so thats no a problem. I have a new momo steering wheel and nr-g boss kit and hub in the mail its quick release hub though and not to sure if this will also need cert.
Your thoughts please:)

a.woodrow, Aug 26, 10:25am
No, if the vehicle was fitted with airbags they must be in working condition, so you would need to put it back to original if you weren't prepared to cert it

hijacka, Aug 26, 10:35am
Ok so remove front mount and install top mount intercooler and get wof then replace steering wheel!

stevexc, Aug 26, 10:47am
An airbag might just save your life so it's best to keep them.

However.you can remove them from a car as long as it is 14 years old OR has been modified for a person with a disability OR has been heavily modified for motorsport use.This requires cert.

It's in section 7-6 of the VIRM: In-service certification 2010 manual I've read.Might have changed since then.

unbeatabull, Aug 27, 6:27am
It's not just the airbag it can interfere with. They can also fail you if it interferes with the cars safety/crash crumple zones, bumper bar support etc.

hijacka, Aug 27, 7:37am
No structural part was cut etc. stevexc the airbag steering wheel is a bloody eyesore to say the least and it must go along with other things, i'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it all without having to go for cert twice, Maybe best to park it as i can't be bothered removing the frontmount etc, I do have another trolley car but its a heap lol

unbeatabull, Aug 27, 8:16am
Doesn't have to be cut. Even if it is in front of say the crumple bar or someway that could interfere with it in the event of a crash is enough to fail it on.

hijacka, Aug 27, 8:59am
Yeah,. man that sucks ae! Will park it up then:)

bigfatmat1, Aug 27, 9:01am
you can remove airbag as its supplimentry. You will however need cert

unbeatabull, Aug 27, 9:11am
Im just saying, for a WOF it doesn't take much, WOF's are simply a Safety check . - it will need to be certed.

hijacka, Aug 27, 10:42am
Ok then Thanks;)
Hmm what would be the chances of needing cert for a bigger turbo ecu etc! Because im going to do this swap in the next 6months anyway so if i go for cert now on the current matters i don't really want to go back later and pay another $450 for turbo upgrade etc if i don't have to. there will be many cert plates i think Baha

shuddupowh, Aug 27, 9:41pm
You only get one cert plate. They will just keep replacing them with an updated plate, everytime you pass a cert check.

hopie, Aug 27, 10:13pm
Like said above the front mount is required for frontal impact. Air bag will need to stay in for a WOF now, or out with a cert.

ECU upgrade doesnt require anything, bigger turbo 'may' . if it's going to be making 25% more power than factory then def, but if its not to obvious i.E a T70 on a Gt starlet haha then you should be sweet.

falcon15, Aug 28, 2:09am
your car should have failed for no airbag light if you have taken it out. Hopie aftermarket tunable ecu's do require a cert but not many wof inspectors can tell the differance. Best thing to do would be to do all your mods and remove the airbags then go for a cert check

hopie, Aug 28, 2:57am
I had a Link LEM G3 in 2x cars and a Autronics SMC in another car, but as you said the WOF inspectors didnt even pick it up 99% of the time. The one time it was picked up on was because the 02 sensor wires were cut when using the link, I then pointed out that it never had an AFM as well and was an after market ECU. Still got passed so luck of the draw I guess.

Hijacka, what vehical is that going in! Ive got one off a scania bus that I was given. pretty much brand new, exhaust housing is almost as big as my head haha ill get the code tonight

hijacka, Aug 28, 5:15am
I yep cool, I started with a old H1E holset and was going to mod that because i like the vband but the chra was wornout due it lack of oil. so i bought this hx40 because it shares the same size turbine wheel as the H1E nice and big to match the new pro comp wheel, also have another holset thats massive but need tlc came off a crashed truck god knows what thou, the size of it is epic! would be a great turbo for a big block v8 as its a vgt turbo,
Love the holset turbos for there cheap price and power output, Best kept secret!
Its going on my .Subaru**cough,cough**