White light on rear of trailer?

squeaking, Aug 24, 8:03am
can you Legally use a LED number plate light(which shines down and not out), on the rear of your trailer to light up a sighn!

modie61, Aug 24, 8:16am
Why not !

monaro17, Aug 24, 8:18am
It is illegal to have a white light shining backwards.

m16d, Aug 24, 8:25am
To light up a sign. No. you'll get a ticket as soon as someone complains.

gammelvind, Aug 24, 8:28am
Don't use a white light, use an amber LED light to do the job.

modie61, Aug 24, 8:29am
Whats the difference between lighting up a number plate and lighting up a sign !

squeaking, Aug 24, 8:36am
what would the ticket be for as it is not a danger to drivers eg, shinning in your eye's, it just letting you see whats there easier without driving up someones bum to get a better look.

cowlover, Aug 24, 8:38am
So how do the trucks etc with the red/white rear reflector strips get away with white light (reflections) to rear!

squeaking, Aug 24, 8:42am
Yeah i thought of that, even red but not as effective, but is there actually a law against it!

squeaking, Aug 24, 8:45am
I suppose its not shinning at you(in the eye's) but my light wont be either!

grangies, Aug 24, 8:49am
What about reverse lights!

squeaking, Aug 24, 8:53am
I think you would be in a hole heap of shit if you saw reversing lights comming your way at night and not from the law either lol!

mugenb20b, Aug 24, 10:05am
They are not allowed to be on when the vehicle is moving forward.

studio1, Aug 25, 5:30am
A reflection is not the same as a light source. You can have reflectors of any colour on your vehicle, you just can't have certain light sources visible in certain directions.
A white light (source) is allowable to illuminate a number plate on the rear of a vehicle providing the light does not primarily shine in the rearwards direction.
As for lighting up a sign on the rear of a trailer, I would talk to Land Transport about it as it's bit of a grey area. There are probably restrictions on sign illumination on vehicles - mainly due to the distraction it would cause to other drivers and the potential to cause an accident.

mrfxit, Aug 25, 9:03am
Been thereseen that had it done to me . almost soils the undies really fast till you realise the blimin reverse lights are stuck on, on the car in front

mrfxit, Aug 25, 9:08am
In the 1st instance .Basically

#1: Source of the light is NOT allowed to be visible.
#2: Not shining on a reflective surface
#3 : Not directly visiblefrom the side or back (refer #1)
#4: Of low brightness
Not flashing
White / red or amber

modie61, Aug 25, 9:38am
The number plates are reflectorised ! Therefore a reflective surface.

supernova2, Aug 25, 1:41pm
So therefore as long as the sign is not reflective it should be perfectly ok

supernova2, Aug 25, 1:44pm
So if you mount the light on a braket so that the beam shines onto the sign you could use a searchlight as there is no light shining (pointing) to the rear, it would be no different to the headlight of a following car

poppajn, Aug 25, 9:13pm
Tractors are bad for this as well, they drive with their rear work lights on, it,s unnerveingif you come up behind them.

mrfxit, Aug 26, 1:26am
It is a bit tricky to set up legally but I have seen it done on some trucks & bus's.
THo . not seen it recently

squeaking, Aug 26, 9:32am
Looks like i could be in for a fun time with the LTSA 2moro, it will be a battle of interpretation of the law! lol! thanks Guy's