Can anyone tell me how to detune a F20A motor?

mr_lovebug, Aug 26, 6:31am
The car is a 92 ascot invona and it runs on 98 octane.

I would like to get it to run on 91 octane,how do you so that so that the car will run & not be slug/pig to drive!

Any thoughts are welcome,thanks.

unbeatabull, Aug 26, 6:32am
Retard the timing. Probably around 7-8 degrees advance, but you won't know whats best without trial and error.

NZTools, Aug 26, 6:34am
If you are doing it to save money by running it on a cheaper fuel, it doesnt work, as you will use more fuel t get the same distance.

mr_lovebug, Aug 26, 6:36am
Okay,thanks for that.

I am wanting to use the cheaper gas,but if i use more and not save anything is it worth it!

NZTools, Aug 26, 6:38am
Short answer no. long answer, by detuneing the engine, you are reducing the power output, which means you have to have the foot down further to acheive the same result

stevexc, Aug 26, 7:12am
Is it a SOHC or DOHC F20A!The SOHC is fine on 91 and I'd be suprised if the DOHC even needed 95 let alone 98.

It's the DOHC vtec F20B in the Accord SiR-T that kinda needs 98, although I had no problems with mine on 95.

morrisman1, Aug 26, 7:39am
your car will need 98 because its high compression. High compression means more bang per squirt of fuel. Its a waste of time going to 91 fuel. I would try it on 95 octane and if you can hear it pinging then go back to 98. a couple dollars per tank for the good juice is far cheaper than replacing your pistons and head due to detonation damage.

ruaphu, Aug 26, 7:46am
we've had an ascot innova for the last ten years. We only run it 95 (no 98 locally) and had no issues with performance. when we initally bought the car we ran it on 91 as we did not know better and had issues with poor starting and performance. Our mechanic advised us to run 95 as a minimum, never had an issue since, now covered 240000k's and still runs like clockwork. Oh it's the SOHC F20A. Cheers