Sonata diesel catalytic light - Gull diesel

shorebee, Aug 24, 3:22am
my dash light comes on only when i use gull diesel and when its gone and i use bp ultimate it goes off. is this bad for my engine

msigg, Aug 24, 7:17am
Well it must be picking up something different from the BP, being a newer diesel I would not be going back to gull because if there is going to be an issue it could get very expensive, just not worth the risk.

intrade, Aug 24, 7:26am
when the light is on then you have to go on the motorway and with warm engine give it plenty to clear the particular filter. should be written in your owners manual depends on what dash light it is of course. engine light means there is a fault detected from incorrect working electronic part

therafter1, Aug 24, 7:51am
If you get caught giving one of those things plenty on the motorway you will probably be walking for 28 days !

moosie_21, Aug 24, 7:53am
Car may not be made for Gull's biofuel!

intrade, Aug 24, 8:03am
read your owner manual. crdi new model injects extra fuel to get 600 degree temperature for clearing the cat convertor. The light could be just indicating that it is in clean mode and you should not stop driving for example. Should be discribed in the owners , older vw t5 for example need to go for a blast when the light comes on

msigg, Aug 24, 8:46am
so whats the point of trying to save fuel buy getting a diesel with all these features if you have to go and waste fuel heating up the cat.This is the trouble with the morern cars, too much bull dust to them. They are too finely tuned.

yellowsubmarine, Aug 24, 11:23am
Its for emissions, not performance msigg.

intrade, Aug 24, 11:35am
yea its fot the greenies and yes its a joke but nz government demands this also euro 4 diesel can only get in the country since a while now

shorebee, Aug 24, 10:09pm
lol, sounds fun, it is a sonata 4 speed auto but im sure its good for 200kph. will take for hell drive today

therafter1, Aug 24, 10:48pm
I haven't driven an auto yet, only manuals, and I was seriously impressed with the performance being produced by 2 litre diesels these days (from any country Jazz).

thejazzpianoma, Aug 24, 10:56pm
They all have the performance (compared to traditional diesels) because they all use the revolutionary new common rail system. Reliability and efficiency is another matter all together.

floscey, Aug 24, 10:56pm
what oil do you use !

thejazzpianoma, Aug 24, 10:57pm
Me!

floscey, Aug 24, 10:59pm
sorry OP . just wondering if they are using CRDI oil .Maybe causing probs with DPF

thejazzpianoma, Aug 24, 11:28pm
Possibly if it is using oil. My money would be on the sulpher content of the Diesel though, that makes a huge difference to the rate at which a DPF cycles. In countries where you can still get high sulpher diesel it will ruin a DPF very quickly if used, it makes that much difference.

Gull is of course using low sulpher diesel but that dosn't mean the sulpher content is actually the same as BP's for example.

I only run BP Ultimate Diesel and always use an additive in our common rail diesel car and have never had a DPF warning come on and fuel economy on the open road drops right down to 3.6 l/100km as it should. It didn't go that well when we bought it though having been a city car and run on goodness knows what.

I no longer trust Gull at all, we have one just down the road but I travel an extra 10km or more to use BP. Gull's supposed expert tried to tell me our other cars could run on their high octane biofuel even though the manufacturer expressly forbid against it. They have not been up front about their biofuel's efficiency and don't warn their customers properly about the risks IMO so I just don't trust them.