What is the average cost of running a car in 2012?

Page 2 / 2
smac, Aug 20, 9:23pm
That's ok.

msigg, Aug 20, 9:50pm
mm12345 yea that does happen sometimes, can happen at the local garage too, but once you know and trust them and they know you, generaly your ok.

mm12345, Aug 20, 10:13pm
Yes - I changed "local garage" a while ago following a change in ownership/management.That came with a policy change, where a "service manager" came between the mechanics and the customers.That might be a good idea in some cases, but doesn't suit me.
I had another bad experience in a (non-VTNZ) testing station, where the old Safari obviously had a brake fault (seized rear caliper).The tester had the truck on the rollers, and instead of just failing the thing under normal use, he got the idea that he could free it up by using all 140+kg of his bulk, leaning back on the seat, and stamping on the brake pedal so hard that something was bound to break.The master cylinder must have been okay, as the thing which broke was the seat frame.I was standing there watching this happen and screaming "what the "F$%^ are you doing!" but needed a megaphone. They then had the gall to tell me that the seat frame must have already been cracked, so it wasn't their fault, and that I'd have to fix the seat (as well as the brakes) to get a WOF.I don't go there again either.

00quattro00, Aug 20, 11:07pm
1978 mk1 golf, 1.5l diesel, gets 3.5-4l/100k and nothing ever breaks down, starts first try even in the coldest mornings, sounds like a tractor and will hapily cruise at 110km

morrisman1, Aug 20, 11:12pm
and add $800 RUC

smac, Aug 20, 11:18pm
Plus $130 extra licensing compared to petrol.

However that is pretty damn economical.

morrisman1, Aug 21, 12:06am
yea, pretty good going. The only thing is that it has probably taken since it was new in 1978 to reach 100km/h

tuttyclan, Aug 21, 4:31am
1997 Honda Accord running around 6,000 km per year
Fuel $1,200.00 plus
Insurance $250.00
Rego$287.75
WOF $70.00 (for 2)
Oil and filter $60.00
Plus maintainance items eg,antifreeze,brakefluid etc every 2 to 3 years.

$1,865.00 at least plus maintainance.
Not alot of depreciation left in my car,but how many people actually factor in depreciation.10 k a year sounds about right for a late model car with running costs and depreciation.

00quattro00, Aug 21, 4:51am
haha its not that slow, about 17sec to 100k, top speed is 140k and will still be going in another 34 years, I doubt any modern diesel hatch will be

rovercitroen, Aug 21, 5:02am
When calculating running costs many people 'forget' to include the cost of the money to buy the car, including interest in a lot of cases, and with the dearer cars the lost opportunity cost of the money tied up in the car.

countrypete, Aug 21, 5:08am
Parking, if you live in a main centre - 20 years ago I was paying $10 per day in Wgtn central.

johnf_456, Aug 21, 6:04am
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details!id=com.zonewalker.acar&hl=en
If anyone you have smartphones this app is great for tracking fuel use, vehicle expenses. Breaks it down for total ownership costs, running costs.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 21, 6:31am
Some of those posting there running costs are forgetting to add in depreciation or some sort of replacement fund. The figures above are fairly typical allowances as used in various financial circles etc and are fairly accurate for someone driving a new or late model vehicle who does no maintenance themselves.

Of course the mechanically savy who don't mind driving an older vehicle can operate a vehicle on a fraction of that cost. Its even possible to operate a quite late model sports/luxury vehicle for a fraction of that price if you go about it right.

annrob, Aug 21, 8:02am
$1300 petrol - not sure about Ks but a 30-40 minute commute each way and weekend trips.
$260 registration
as for depreciation- over the 11 years I've had it, about $600 a year.
$1000-1200 repairs and maintenance including tires and services.
A 20 year old Toyota 1.3l2 door hatchback rocks! Especially on the motorway.

pebbles61, Aug 21, 8:30am
A year for the car:
$600 Petrol (donno for sure)
$200ish insurance
$120 rego
$60 for WOFs
$countless for other parts etc lol

smac, Aug 21, 8:58am
If somebody is using that little petrol a year, I could almost guarantee you'd be better off not having a car, and using taxis or public transport.

pebbles61, Aug 21, 9:03am
It's a classic car/toy. I use a motorcycle for daily riding.

That's about $1500 a year in gas I guess

I also hate the bus.

bmwnz, Sep 15, 6:36pm
One of my sons lives in Tokyo. He's just paid his wof: $1.720 (last for 2 years).