Help with outboard motor

typhoon666, Aug 18, 9:23am
30 hp suzuki been sitting for 10 years what is the best way to fire it up.will i have to pull the carb to bits,put oil down the cylinders!Its around 1993 era looks good cond.

mm12345, Aug 18, 9:30am
If it turns over, then I'd just whack some petrol in it, perhaps with an extra dosh of 2 stroke for good measure, and try to fire it up.
If it doesn't turn over, spray CRC down the plug holes and try it in the morning.
It might need anything from new spark plugs to a full strip-down and rebuild - little point trying to pre-guess.
The impeller is probably rooted, so if it starts but doesn't pump water in a few seconds, turn it off.Even if it does run and pump water, put a new impeller in #1 position on your parts list.

johnf_456, Aug 18, 9:54am
I would let some crc soak down the spark plug holes, leave it over night preferably a day or 2. With re spraying it again later on.Then wind it over by hand to clean off any surface rust etc. Dump all the old fuel and get fresh stuff, put some new plugs in it. Standard NGK copper plugs are not that expensive and see what happens.

xs1100, Aug 18, 8:07pm
best advise and i would change the impellor before starting it as it will either been buggered or could bind to wall and not a hard job

intrade, Aug 18, 8:09pm
i got the same engine whack it in a barrel of water and connect fuel and start it up . My one started ok ps its oilinjection well my one is and the float thingy is loose for the oil warner

intrade, Aug 18, 8:12pm
you wont need the impeller for 40 secounds , by that time you know if it runs right or not. dont give it to mutch throttle as it was parked for that long and if its mint it will start kicking in the barrel when you give it a quick rev
you also see if the impellor works when water squirts out once it runs make sure the pickup is submergedand its not in gear so prop wont rotate

johnf_456, Aug 18, 9:25pm
I woud'nt worry about the impeller until I know the engine is worth fixing or not. A short burst start up will not fry it if it does start, but yes not a hard job to do.

flack88, Aug 18, 9:36pm
Yes it does,the impeller will be stuck to the housing,we are working on outboard at mo,if the leg securing bolts have not been off for awhile good luck !we had too hacksaw last bolt through and drill bolt out,make sure you get any bits of old impeller out of intake as well!

intrade, Aug 18, 9:38pm
yea well if no water comes out then he know the impeller is a goner . if he pulled the cord a few times then a stuck impeller would have stripped allready ps my engine squirted water fine

flack88, Aug 18, 9:52pm
Thats rite intrade,old outboards can be steep learning curve,look alrite on the outside ,but a bag of s. when you get in their.Thats abit like some other things.!

elect70, Aug 18, 11:31pm
Bewarethey corrode out between exaust & water galleryif left long time. Centrestud is SS whichcauses electrolisis with the cast alloyaround the stud & leaks water in to engine .If it doesnt turn overon starterprobably stuffed . either way pull manifold off beforeusing . Common on oldsuzukis

typhoon666, Aug 19, 7:33am
Thanks for your advice I will go pour sum wurth down the bores tomorrow.Whats the best way to drop the impeller out.The motor looks to be in very good nick.was brought from auctions 10 yrs ago or so.