Motorbike brake sticking.

howgoodisit, Aug 13, 11:53pm
Hey, getting my bike ready for summer. been sitting for about a year. the last thing on my list is getting the front dick brake sorted.

It was stuck to the point of not even being able to turn the wheel by hand. pulled it off sanded the discs and worked the pistons and cleaned etc. now it spins but still quite a lot of drag, took it for a spin and gets worse as it heats from the drag.

The pistons are retracting but obviously not quite enough. any tips!

bitsy_boffin, Aug 14, 12:34am
Start simple.Change the brake fluid.

kazbanz, Aug 14, 1:12am
lube the slides/pistons. slides with mob disulphate and the piston seals with rubberlube. -By cleaned the pistons--did you remove them and polish them!
Also dont rule out the lever being sticky

howgoodisit, Aug 14, 5:48am
Cheers for the tips guys, replaced brake fluid and is a lot better now. quite a bit of gunk came out.
Still a tiny drag but im guessing that will rub off as i ride.
Wish me luck for new warrant tomorrow : )

1coppertone, Aug 14, 5:55am
good luck!let us know how you get on with your wof!

gedo1, Aug 14, 7:10am
Kazbanz is spot on with his idea. Also note that the caliper is usually mounted on a couple of bolts. At least one will thread into the caliper itself with the extension on the bolt sliding in the mount. This needs to be kept clean and lubed. Easy enough to do. The other bolt may be in a "tube" that slides within the caliper and will have two rubber boots each side.You should also lube this tube (not just where the bolt passes through it) which may involve easing the boot off one end. There's a bit of a trick to getting the boot back but patience will do it.You can get the lube from Supercheap if you tell them what you want.I do this on all the bikes I restore and the result is "amazing".Take your time, keep everything clean and you should solve your problem.Cheers

redmouse, Aug 14, 9:32am
Front dick brake!sorrycouldnt help it, sounds like a contraceptive.

intrade, Aug 14, 9:35am
caliper brakes remove caliper and pop the pistons out then remove clean under hot water and reassemble with vasiline on rubbers then change brake fluid , you probably want to use some wood and vicegrips to stop the brake fluid empty it self while caliper is off the bike. its the same as on cars 24 month the fluid should be fully replaced

vat69, Aug 14, 6:49pm
in the top master cylinder there is 2 pin holes(one is smaller than the otherand quite hard to see)
.one is for feedthe other is for returni had the same problems myself .when you squeeze the brake lever you notice some fluid bubbles !get a small diameter pin and gently get the gunk moving you should notice some whitish gunk shoot up so make sure your tank and fenders are covered with a dropsheetonce you have cleared the passages use clean brake fluid and re bleed your brakes.good luck

kazbanz, Aug 15, 8:05am
Intrade-vasiline on brake components!Do wot!

kaymay88, Aug 15, 10:27am
replace the seals in the calipers. if you have already cleaned it, Id say they are shagged, and are holding on to the pistons.