Help in Christchurch with trailer wiring

Page 2 / 6
therafter1, Sep 7, 8:45pm
426 wind suckers don't like water in their air intake system much lol

See, I know a little about horses as well lol

But what I also know is that knowing a little about a lot can occasionally get you into a lot of trouble lol

bigfatmat1, Sep 7, 8:55pm
Sparky must also refer to some other occupation that does not involve fixing trailer lights.

bigfatmat1, Sep 7, 8:57pm
if both are present white is earth and black is reverse.

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 9:00pm
Or in my trucks case, black is LH indicator.couldn't figure out why the indicator on the trailer wasn't working 'til I put it in reverse.

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 9:01pm
Try tensioning the pins in the trailer plug.

ema1, Sep 7, 9:01pm
You have a ground/earth wire(black usually) via the plug to "positively" ground/earth to the cars wired earth points( via a grounding point in the car itself) if you know anything about wiring vehicles at all, that way you don't get intermittent on/off(mostly off!) of the trailer lights.
All trailer wiring I have done , and that runs into thousands by the way have been done in accordance to recognized wiring practice .

therafter1, Sep 7, 9:03pm
Lol . I wish it was always just a fuse, then I wouldn't have to grovel around underneath them trying to figure out some twits choice of colours or choice of methods of repair, from chock'a'blocks wrapped in two rolls of insulation tape in two directions over the top of shrink wrap to any old wire that they could find to bridge the problem area, with the addition of another roll of insulation tape here and there for a bit of extra confusion lol ! . the friggen things can be a nightmare when they have been dicked with by a dick and it is often quicker easier and cheaper to rewire the bloody things from lights back to plug !

ema1, Sep 7, 9:06pm
Some right tossers who think they know it all eh snoops , sheesh must be Tui drinkers .shhhhh who said that.
Got the makings of a Tui ad though you've got to admit .Yea right!
Bugger me grounding/earthing through the tow ball, gawd no bl##dy wonder there are so many shonky/dodgy wiring jobs around "gods own."

therafter1, Sep 7, 9:10pm
Come on, they get your attention that much better with all of that flickering going on, as for those now you see them, now you don't indicators, they can't be beaten . but the be all to end all of course is everything flashing (crook earth) when the indicator function is selected, that way everyone behind you stops and lets you go cos they haven't got the foggiest idea as to what you are going to do next lol

lookoutas, Sep 7, 9:11pm
My draw bar is yellow - so do I paint it black or white!

ema1, Sep 7, 9:12pm
Been down that track many a time and it's generally more cost effective to run new trailer flex and rewire lighting according to wiring color codes!
Strewth if some of these "dicks" stuffed around with domestic wiring like they do with trailer wiring there would be a lot of house fires me thinks!

ema1, Sep 7, 9:13pm
Ha ha .there's a damn good Tui ad right there

ema1, Sep 7, 9:17pm
Dead right, same with stop lights when braking when you get a display on the trailer like a sick Christmas treesome going some not and some "half" lit sort of thing.That gets the knowledgeable "no nothings" head scratching in a big way Hhhhh Hmmm!

lookoutas, Sep 7, 9:20pm
Yeh - that's what happens when you earth through the draw bar.
You forgot to mention in previous post that it's a good idea to chuck the crappy old lights away and fit LED's, coz that's probably the main reason they're not going.
I don't stuff around with old lights anymore. They're the first thing in the bin.

mrfxit, Sep 7, 9:20pm
These days yep but still happens.

mrfxit, Sep 7, 9:23pm
DING. yep

mrfxit, Sep 7, 9:30pm
LOL yep correct (as in . fixed no earth)

Problem with LED's is mixing between old & new cars
Some problems cropping up between cheap/ expensive led kits / cars that need factory kits & others that don't . led lights . yes , jurys still out on them being good for a universal solution

bigfatmat1, Sep 7, 9:49pm
I once seen a trailer whose lights were earthed to the wooden deck via self tapper. True story

ema1, Sep 7, 10:02pm
Reminds me of Murphy's Law calendars that I have one of in my computer room beside me here!
Any arty type could draw a good cartoon for a sparky's shop smoko room wall, that would be a good taking point I reckon.
B.F.M this episode you saw cracks me up and reminds me of odd things I saw years ago in the trade.

ceebee2, Sep 7, 10:23pm
I have discovered that dozens of times on customers trailer wiring.

lookoutas, Sep 7, 10:34pm
So you've met trader!

ceebee2, Sep 7, 10:34pm
You can trouble shoot yourself so long as you have a test lamp and can use it. Simply connect wiring plugs remove both plug covers and switch on the park lamps. Connect the test lamp to the tail lamp contact on the car plug first and earth the lamp of course. If there is power there connect lamp to the trailer plug park lamp contact (They are labelled on the plastic base)and check for power to that (Trailer side). If good, work your way along the wiring. I bet it is at the rear where the main wire connects to the first park lamp. If no power there simply work back along the loom toward the front looking for damaged wire. How easy and fun is that!

Check out the diagram below for correct wiring of flat and round plugs.

NB = Ensure both the car and trailer wiring matches!

http://www.hella.co.nz/Resources/library/01)_WEBSITE_NEW_IMAGES_2010/01)_Home/03)_Downloads/Catalogue_2010_section_PDFs/Accessories-2-2010.pdf

trader_84, Sep 7, 10:37pm
You got some .

trader_84, Sep 7, 10:40pm
Yehaa!

trader_84, Sep 7, 10:59pm
Never trust a guy who tells you he has done '1000's' of trailer wiring jobs and has a womans name, lol!