Help in Christchurch with trailer wiring

Page 3 / 6
lookoutas, Sep 7, 11:24pm
It's known that attack is the best means of defense.
Eh trader!

shane191, Sep 7, 11:57pm
If the black wire is being used as earth no wonder people are having problems. all the wiring diagrams weather its 5 wire or 7 wire state the white wire is earth. shouldnt all trailers be wired up a standard way so no matter what trailer you hook up to the lights are wired correctly!

trader_84, Sep 8, 12:08am
Do it the old way . simple and cheap. 4 wires and a drop hitch. Never had a problem. Pay someone to wire a trailer. pffft! Whats ur horses name!

djtutty, Sep 8, 12:17am
trailer wiring is probably one of the simplest auto electrical tasks you could possibly think of and theres only one correct way to do it. If you cant figure it out for yourself then just pay somebody. Theres no shame in paying someone

mrfxit, Sep 8, 12:28am
The problem is that car earths are BLACK, it's inconsistent's like that, that get ppl in to trouble.

Car earth = black
Trailer earth = white
House earth = green (mostly)

trader_84, Sep 8, 12:36am
Drawbar = silver.

lookoutas, Sep 8, 12:38am
Exactly - only a bunch of dickheads could set us up with that.
If ya go back to the old days - earth was black. tail-light was green. and stop was red.
They've digressed more than most posters on here do.

mrfxit, Sep 8, 12:45am
Copyrite & job protection = each protecting their own professions.
Had that a lot in teh past & still does happen a lot these days.
Brother working in a freezing works, screws fell out of a hinge on his personal locker, he went to finger screw them back in so he could lock up & go home but nearly got fired for that.
THATS the maintenance mans job, not a floor workers job

mrfxit, Sep 8, 12:46am
Rust brown

trader_84, Sep 8, 12:52am
See, even the pro's can't agree on one 'right' way to do it. Drop hitch . tune in and drop out. How many brindles do you got!

trader_84, Sep 8, 12:58am
What he said.

djtutty, Sep 8, 1:04am
earth black or white depending on which cable you are using
tail is brown
stop is red
left is yellow
green is right
that is standard 5 core wiring code
i would love to fail your drop hitch earth trailer for a wof
i would also love you to get a ticket for flickering trailer lights
It takes bugger all effort to do it properly

trader_84, Sep 8, 1:11am
But here's the thing . you never will . and you'll never get over this fact. You need to relax a little bit . you take yourself way too seriously. Get a dog .

djtutty, Sep 8, 1:17am
No im over it. I dont care at all. Got a dog thanks. Its very insightful of you to be able to tell all this because of one post. Im guessing you think the same of most people! Probably more to do with you than it is the other people. Just disappoints me when somebody asks for advice about something and ends up getting crap advice.

trader_84, Sep 8, 1:19am
Get over it.

djtutty, Sep 8, 1:21am
Ok sorry. pffffftbaahahahaha!

therafter1, Sep 8, 1:21am
Lol . at the end of the day trader you have to hook the tlr up to a plug fitted to a vehicle with a plug connected via wire to the lights on the trailer and the facility, 5 core, plugs etc are all there, why not use them. A number of people have already explained it to you and spent their time explaining their experience/experiences.

I'm an AVI, and you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as there are earth and light problems on a trailer it will be a home made and wired jobbie where they have used the tlr chassis as an earth. It always strikes me as odd that the facility is present in the wiring and plugs but for some reason they decide to not use the logical earth and earth to the chassis instead ! . it is 2012 remember, not 1950.

djtutty, Sep 8, 1:23am
Hey trader84 maybe this guy^^ should get over it too! Im an AVI too and i couldnt agree more with him

don1751, Sep 8, 1:50am
A common problem I have come across when fixing trailer lights is the flat plub on the trailer that connects to the car. These have a split brass connector that sometimes gets squeezes by the car plug and can be spread by inserting a small scewdriver between the split and spread apart to fix the connection. Be gentle tho as if you try to spread it too much it will break and you will have another problem. I remember the old earth threu the towball system . A lat of old caravans still use it.

therafter1, Sep 8, 2:08am
They do, and it is a really simple matter to wire the existing earth into the five/seven core and viola, you have two earths and even less chance that you are going to have an array of xmas lights at the rear end confusing the bejesus out of anyone following that is trying to work out what the hell is going to happen next when the xmas tree lights up . invariably the only one that is unaware that they are showing an array of xmas tree lights to everyone behind them is the driver doing the towing.

You can imagine them arriving at their destination saying, "I was doing everything right, I was travelling at the legal limit, I was pulling over indicating my intention and being courteous and all that stuff, but I kept getting tooted and glared at" . lol

Many people take it for granted that when towing all they have to do is hook up, connect safety chain/s, plug in lights and we are away. I always hook up and before hitting the road I either get someone to physically check that all is as it should be at the rear, or I back up to something that will give me a reflection and go thru the check process from there.

ema1, Sep 8, 2:12am
User name made up from my wife's maiden name initials in actual fact.
Obviously you spouted your crap before checking my profile, perhaps it's a habit of yours to go about with your foot in your mouth!
Trader you are a right plonker! Your profile "occupation" says it all really.

ema1, Sep 8, 2:17am
Was black when I was in the trade but obviously the wiring codes have changed since then and no doub't will change again with time.

ema1, Sep 8, 2:25am
It's really simple as when you use the inline connector plugs as the pin wire colour and designation is clearly marked on them.
Mind you simple really means that with some folks .pity.

ema1, Sep 8, 2:40am
More than likely because like "trader " they think they know better.where as in fact they know bugger all.
Huh, I don't think idiots like "trader" would know what the word facility actually means!

ema1, Sep 8, 3:10am
Most of the 5 & 7 core cable in the days I did wiring work had black as earth, some cable supplied back then had white as earth as well, then I have also used 5 and 7 core flex with a brown earth color too which most likely was European in origin and seen blue used as tail color!
That's still not an issue if you know what you are doing, bugger all effort to do it right as has been mentioned, but it's seen wrong so many times even nowadays which staggers me.

Car earth wiring color varies as well according to maker and electrics manufacturer used and the country the vehicle comes from, not always black, a lot of European makers use brown as earth color some use flat red and some use black/yellow.
Often these even vary within each make over time and can also beused for reference purpose only.