Anyone know what this light on my car means?

Page 1 / 2
goodsdirect2u, Sep 8, 10:19am

scotthurst01, Sep 8, 10:21am
Pie warmer is turned on.

therafter1, Sep 8, 10:22am
You have 2519 feedbacks . don't you know how to upload pics thru My Trade Me

extrayda, Sep 8, 10:22am
catalytic converter is radioactive.

a.woodrow, Sep 8, 10:23am
Cat convertor light

goodsdirect2u, Sep 8, 10:24am
Cool soo if it comes on what does that mean!

neville48, Sep 8, 10:24am
the censor on yur catalytic converter is either knackered or is doing its job and telling you you have a fault at that point. check in the glovebox for the burning pie first tho huh just in case.

extrayda, Sep 8, 10:29am
Replace radioactive imminent meltdown cat converter with environmentally friendly tree hugging straight pipe.This of course *may* result in unpleasant side effects, and possible WOF failure.(don't really know, never had to remove/replace a cat).

extrayda, Sep 8, 10:31am
I doubt it would do any harm, but I'm ***not a mechanic***.I expect the light is saying that the converter needs attention rather than imminent disaster.

therafter1, Sep 8, 10:32am
Amazing, who would have thought, especially when the process is zachery the same as when you list lol . yeah I know, I'm a grouchy bustard .its the weather lol

goodsdirect2u, Sep 8, 10:33am
Haha well your half way here you might as well explain :P

morrisman1, Sep 8, 10:35am
Catalytic converter getting too hot, usually a sign of other problems like running rich from bad air flow meter for example. Ive put out a fire on a subaru SVX where the cat got so hot that it put the underbody on fire. The owner had pulled over and was just wandering around oblivious to the fact his car was on fire lol.

It could also be a faulty sensor on the catalytic converter. I would proceed with caution. If the light is still on after the car has been sitting a while then its probably a faulty sensor. If the light turns of after a period of driving its probably a genuine fault.

therafter1, Sep 8, 10:37am
Yep, they are right, I risked the link seeing as how no one else struck any problems . its your cat light, yep you have to have it scanned and seen too lol, oh, and yep, he/she can keep driving lol . but you already know all of that now lol

goodsdirect2u, Sep 8, 10:40am
He said it does go off when hes driving. so does that mean he should'nt drive!

morrisman1, Sep 8, 10:41am
sorry, I meant the light turns on after a period of driving.

goodsdirect2u, Sep 8, 10:43am
mmm he said he smells something burning.lol

morrisman1, Sep 8, 11:07am
ok. so having the light on and burning smell is not good. Car could be driven short distances and allowed to cool down in between. Get it to a mechanic asap. Remember the fault is probably not with the catalytic converter itself, this is just a symptom of another fault.

icemans1, Sep 8, 12:05pm
there's a fault with the flux capacitor

bellky, Sep 8, 9:11pm
You're showing how little clue you have there. What OP has done is far easier than loading onto TM.

therafter1, Sep 8, 10:18pm
Nothing whatsoever to do with which process is quickest, easiest or whatever, and everything to do with ME PERSONALLY preferring not to click on wog looking links posted on internet message boards.

Is MY PERSONAL preference O/K with you oh great internet wise one, or would you prefer that I alter MY PERSONAL preferences to YOUR more clued up preferences in order to suit YOU instead of ME oh great internet wise one !

whqqsh, Sep 8, 11:00pm
your hot dog is ready!

johnf_456, Sep 8, 11:12pm
#8 Carefully with that language, you wouldn't want to get banned.

rod-zone, Sep 9, 12:08am
Your Cat converter is more than likley blocked.Todays fuels are absolute rubbish and the fine ceramic gauze block that the cat converter is made from (inside) blocks up with carbon and other junk,you can drive the car as the air flow over it will keep it cool for a little while,when the light comes on then stop and let it cool,if you get the cat cut out then make sure you have it done by someone who knows what there doing,the sensor cant be cut and needs to be re attached to the replacement pipe otherwise the car can run rough.Oh and a RICH mixture doesnt cause heat.a LEAN mixture does.Useless info really

johnf_456, Sep 9, 12:10am
Good advice, get the cat removed and make sure the sensor is re attached if it has one. This gives the ECU feedback if the mixture is too lean or rich.

studio1, Sep 9, 12:54am
LOL . too funny