Can motorbike tyres have punctures repaired?

gunhand, Sep 7, 6:33am
Plug and tube would be best idea I guess.Geez what is it in it!

mm12345, Sep 7, 6:36am
Yep - no problem normally - but that's a pretty serious looking hunk of metal, so I'd be wanting to trust the guy repairing it to tell me if it was a gone-burger.

gunhand, Sep 7, 6:40am
Yep, you only have one other tyre to keep you up if it fails. Whats $300 when ya drop ya bike!Annoying though.

mm12345, Sep 7, 6:48am
I wouldn't get too worried.Lack of scuffing in the right places seems to indicate the OP only uses the bike to ride to the supermarket.

therafter1, Sep 7, 7:06am
Lol . I know nothing.

Looks like a fence staple.

Should be repairable with a quill patch as long as it hasn't got stuck into the plies in any way.

ninja_man, Sep 7, 7:12am
yeah i think it was a fence staple. It came lose and popped out after riding it home. And yes it is my daily rider. i dont ride fast

therafter1, Sep 7, 7:18am
We can see that lol.

Should be repairable, it is when long things get in there and they do a u-turn and all sorts,they frequently reach and thrash the plies to bits. Staples are short and strong and usually stay straight.

Good luck with the repair.

kaymay88, Sep 7, 7:29am
yes they can be repaired. my last one was repaired using a process called (I think) vulcansing. they removed the tyre, and got two bits of rubber, heated them up, slapped them either side of the tyre, and clamped it for a short while. The trick is to get the tyre back on the bike and inflate it before it cools. Has served me very well since. better than a dog turd in it - which rightly or wrongly, Ive only ever seen as a temporary fix

gs-e, Sep 7, 9:07am
Use Green Slime . It's great stuff.

kazbanz, Sep 7, 10:43pm
ninja man- is the tyre going flat! looking at the angle of that thing it doesn't look like it got anywhere near the carcase.You might find its only the surface layer thats damaged.

mrfxit, Sep 7, 11:23pm
Not a problem as long as (as above) the plies are ok & the tips of the staple are still within the area of the tread block & not the groove.
Block has lots of support
Groove damage . ok for town bike, not so good for heavy bike ortourer /long distance

slarty45, Sep 7, 11:27pm
I used to fix them on the bike. Used many types but found the best was an orange sticky string type. Poke in and trim off with razor blade. Bought from Motomail but was afew yrs ago, no longer biking.

therafter1, Sep 8, 2:49am
That is a dog turd, as mentioned at # 9

Dog turds (string type) are fine, but on any vehicle (more particularly motorcycles, especially high performance motorcycles) you want to know that the object hasn't turned and frayed the plies in the tyre. If the object is short and straight and nowhere near the sidewalls you can usually take the risk and assume that no major damage has occurred to the ply's and you will probably safely get away with removing the object and inserting a dog turd and it will in all probability safely seal the hole and last for the life of the tyre.

If the object is long and bent when removed, or is in close proximity to the sidewall of the tyre, then it is imperative that the tyre is removed from the rim and inspected. Once the tyre is removed for inspection if all is well the best form of repair is a quill type patch which is an internal repair and less noticeable than a dog turd. Without going looking for the legislation it is my understanding that dog turd repairs are not legal on vehicles that require WOF/COF.

therafter1, Sep 8, 2:59am
Yep, string type (dog turds) are not a legal repair. One assumes that the logic behind that rule is in my previous post. The tyre can be repaired externally without an inspection being carried out on the tyre to ensure no major internal damage has occurred to the plies.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/general/tyres,-wheels-and-hubs/tyres-and-wheels

ninja_man, Sep 8, 6:05am
tyre is completely flat (lost all air in a matter of seconds after i ran over it). i have no idea if the inside is damaged

therafter1, Sep 8, 6:11am
It is unlikely that you rode it flat, that would be a most interesting experience on a road bike. All the same it sounds very much like you are out of your depth and you may have to practice your rear wheel removal skills and take the wheel to those that know what they are doing.

If you do not possess those skills then you may have to trailer the whole kaboodle to those that know what they are doing.

bitsy_boffin, Sep 8, 6:48am
Been there, done that about 10 years ago.Had no option after got a rear flat out in the country.

Rode quite some distance (very slowly) before I came to some civilisation and gave up (left bike at some kind stranger's house on the outskirts of the city and got a taxi home, picked up next day with a trailer).

Not a particularly pleasant experience.Middle of summer, in leather, crawling along the road at a snails pace trying to keep it going in a straight line.

These days I have tubeless tyres and carry a good old dog-turd and CO2 kit under the seat.

kazbanz, Sep 8, 7:31am
Given its location Id say you will be able to do an internal mi=ushroom type repair.
If the hole is that big that the tyre went down fast I would never suggest an externally applied repair

slarty45, Sep 8, 7:33am
legal or not, they worked real good in conjunction with 12v compressor and better than pushing a 285kg Beamer or leaving it at side of road.

therafter1, Sep 8, 10:14am
I agree . that's a nice change from the Watson threads eh Slarty lol