Motorcycle as commute. Newbie

Page 1 / 2
tamsim, Sep 9, 6:04am
Hi,

I am thinking about getting m/bike as a fast/cheaper means of transport, but I have no idea about the pros and cons.

I did ride when I was younger, and I did ride a motorbike across India a couple of years ago, so I do have some experience.but NZr's are notoriously BAD drivers IMO, esp when it comes to watching out for motorbikes. I am wanting to get an idea from people with experience, to see if it is a good idea. Or if it is just to deadly!

Also, what are the broad costs involved Rego, servicing etc.

Thanks Heaps

trogedon, Sep 9, 6:11am
I commuted by motorbike from West Akld for years.
You'd want some other form of commuting method on wet days - bus or car. Motorcycling in the wet is unsafe. I wore as much protective gear as someone roadracing would have. Work back from a worst case senario. Most (Jap) bikes servicing costs are low - oil and filter a couple of times a year, tyres can be pricey.

kaymay88, Sep 9, 6:18am
as for costs, it might not be that much cheaper than you think, depending on what you buy and how you use it. weekend jaunts eat up tyres quickly, especially if you are looking at a sporty bike of 600+ cc, and the rego can sting somewhat too. You can filter through traffic easier though if you wish to, and there can be some bonuses when it comes to parking etc as well.

as for safety, basically as long as you are always attentive when you are riding, and you always assume that everyone else on the road is out to kill you, and act accordingly, then you should be safe as. bikes arent dangerous, but are unforgiving of inattention, idiots, and risky behaviour

fryan1962, Sep 9, 10:38am
get a bike with good sitting position.sports bikes are hard on wrists. I have tall skinny bike good for lane splitting

trogedon, Sep 9, 10:40am
Sports bikes maybe hard on YOUR wrists.

fryan1962, Sep 9, 11:54am
I meant that in the nicest possible way.I am very tall and with my weight on my zx7.I did get sore wrists riding long distance

skiff1, Sep 10, 2:38am
If your trying to save money, resist the temptation to get something big. Small is cheap and will commute as well as a bigger bike. Don't scrimp on helmets and leathers, but it works best if you never get hit. To this end, always have your lights on, and consider extra lighting. You will look like a dingus, but a live dingus!

mantagsi, Sep 10, 5:39am
+1 for safe gear and good attitude. Unfortunately (as I have found out the hard way in the past) it doesn't matter how careful you are, you are taking a gamble that the car drivers around you are paying attention too. I've been pretty lucky, I've had one drunk driver pull out on me on a 100kph road which was damn scary, and a sober driver on a roundabout. All I can say is DON'T ride if you haven't got the right safety gear on, both times it made all the difference for me! :)

trogedon, Sep 10, 5:48am
Agree on the lighting - I put extra yellow lights on the front of my last two bikes. They could be seen from a good distance away - even on a sunny day.

safteystv, Sep 10, 6:26am
Motorcycle
Private passengerPetrol driven - 0 - 60cc incl246.26443.97
Petrol driven - 61cc ??

turton, Sep 10, 6:53am
tyres are rego are expensive, other than that bikes are great

berg, Sep 10, 8:03am
Mrs Berg commutes 130 odd kms every day. Started on a GN250, then to a Kawasaki ER6n (fantastic commuter) and is now on a GSR750 Suzuki. The GSR is probably not as nice a commuter as the Kawasaki was but its more versitile for weekend riding and the odd bit of geared up touring. She takes the bike rain, hail or shine and loves it. Just be careful and think of your own safety.

gunhand, Sep 10, 8:08am
Always have your lights on! Its a requirement unless its 100 years old. Most bikes you would commute will have there lights on all the time anyway. There are still plenty about that you can switch off and on of course but all new and late model sstuff have no off on switch.
But you could a stripper on a pole naked on ya pillion seat and people would still look straight at you and run you over anyway.

berg, Sep 10, 8:16am
Bright orange bike, fluro yellow Teknics jacket, red helmet and a nice loud "look at me" pipe and pedestrians still walk out in front of me every now and then

kazbanz, Sep 10, 8:52am
Hiya tamsin--I feel qualified to reply here as I spent 25 years commuting the great auckland carpark (motorway) from south auckland to the city.west auckland to the cit and west auckland to devonport.
To be honest auckland COMMUTER drivers are the most arrogant,ignorant and often just plain dangerous drivers I've every encountered,
But if you go out there amongst them knowing this and riding accordingly then you'll be fine.
Gear wise my advise is to buy a decent pair of gloves and boots,cudura jacket and trousers and a reasonable helmet. -All the gear excepth the Helmet you can buy second hand but budget for $1500 in gear to be safe price wise.
Bike wise. Hmm. My personal favorite as a commuter is the suzuki GS500
Ok handling,easy on the gas,easy on tyres,cheap to service,enough power to do a trip to wellington and outrun the cars at the lights,Not enough power to get a newbee rider a lot of issues , Light weight for parking,good brakes,cheap to fix if you have a parking bingle.

tamsim, Sep 10, 9:31am
Thanks mate, appreciate it (and all the replies). its a big toss up, I get all the safety stuff, but it just comes down to NZ drivers. They are just so bad,(esp out West). Great advice though, will def think it through.

Do you reckon its best to totally avoid wet weather/darkness!

trogedon, Sep 10, 9:38am
You think West Akd drivers are bad, try South Akd. Darkness is fine. Wetness is not (fine!). Try doing a panic stop on a bike in the wet. There will also be oil residue on the roads as well to make it more slippery. Of course you'll get caught out by the weather at times then increase your following distances and look for escape routes!

gunhand, Sep 10, 9:41am
Wet weather isnt a problem, its the bloody shonky roads that can make it dangerous. The way they repair them is pathetic. So what you end up with is.
Rough grippy surface that drains, smooth slick surface, pot hole, lump, gravel and a groove or two. And thats all in one corner. I never used to mind wet weather riding but these days its a gamble for sure.
The only prob with night riding in summer anyway is the death on your visor. And useually without thinking you rub it with a glove.oops.

skiff1, Sep 10, 9:41am
true I had I guy pull out in front of me on a main road. Only problem was, I had my lights on, and a flashing beacon on the roof of the ute I was in. Thank god for airbags. Ripped the front axle right out of a brand new ranger

kazbanz, Sep 10, 10:08am
I just can;t answer that question for you.
I don't know where you are at on your bike learning curve.
I generally found evening commuting easier than morning only because the car drivers saw the headlight "easier" -thanks to all the cars with a headlight not working.
Wet weather mmm well the only place Ive really had any issues is on the steel plates on the beginning of the nippon clipons. the back wheel always gave a lil spin.
Id probably ease into it. Do some weekend rides to get used to the bike then see how you go

safteystv, Sep 10, 11:36am
you could find a cheapish shaft drive bike lower the running costs. have seen those stupidly bright led running lights put on bikes these days. sad fact i used an old mini one summer had bike crash . didn't go as fast as the 750 was as cold on wet days but dryer the thing that pissed me off the most used less fuel butr only an 850 mini

fryan1962, Sep 10, 11:32pm
I used to ride rain or hail didn't bother me
tram tracks in the wet are interesting

I had a bike cl250 so it was Honda white It had big screen I had a white helmet with blue star on it,i have tinted glasses, no one ever pulled out in front of me

helmet was gift from father inlaw at the time.it was not intentional to look like a cop

elect70, Sep 10, 11:39pm
Did it for5 years as apprentice& 50 K to tech 2 nights a weekall weather no optionhad all thegearstill got cold, cou;dnt wait to get a car .

skiff1, Sep 11, 3:59am
did you have the beige "tight" pants like chips! Awesome

kazbanz, Sep 11, 5:47am
Actually I at one stage bought 7 ex HP xj750 yamaha's
They "civilianised" quite easilly. Dual seat/tail unit from the xz400,rer footpegs bolted on. lower bars and rip off the panniers and crash bars. A coat of yamaha blue of burgandy paint and you had a nice bike.
But I kept the best one for myself. Left it in white but chopped all the crash bars right back -lower bars etc.It was a heap of fun seeing the look on car drivers faces as they realised first they pulled out in front of a cop then that look like they just had a looooong pee as they realised it wasn't