Registering a scooter/ moped

onion5, Sep 24, 7:36am
Help, i have an electric scooter/moped and VTNZ tell me the law changed in 2011 when you now need to show a copy of the compliance standards and a copy of the predelivery inspection. etc etc I got this scooter off my brother and when he bought it in 2005 none of that was required apparently.the problem now is he has lost all the papers for it and without them i can't comply it or register it. I am trying to sell it but my chances are greatly reduced as not regd.for the road. has any one else had a similar problem and any ideas would be appreciated. thanks nb ;it has never been registered

cowlover, Sep 24, 8:17am
Brand/model etc might be helpful.

onion5, Sep 24, 9:07am
Hi,
i can't even find that, no brand model any thing on it only a series of numbers on the frame not a vin number.i will try and post a photo on thread, some one might recognise it .sounding like only a few came into country.

r15, Sep 24, 10:18am
tell them its home made., mopeds are allowed to be anyway

pebbles61, Sep 24, 10:25am
Gonna be fun when you need spares lol

nzfatie, Sep 25, 7:32am
That doesn't work anymore since they changed the rules in July 2011. All mopeds now have to meet NZ braking and lighting standards before they can be registered.
BUT if it's under 600W power it can be ridden on the footpath, no rego required.LOL

onion5, Sep 25, 9:10am
i think there are bike shops which comply brakes and i imagine lights but it is the compliance standards paper work which is the hold up, you would think imported cars would need some thing , wot with all the rhetoric of saving the planet they have made it nigh on impossible for me . Not lol

onion5, Sep 25, 9:20am
i have included a photo of it if any one is keen to look , some one may know the make which could be very helpful. I don't know wattage although i think there is a calculation with voltage and amps if i recall !Has 4 12 volt batteries with 18amphr ratings.

solarboy, Sep 25, 11:37am
If the batteries are are connected in series ie -ve to +ve to -ve to +ve and so on you have a 48 volt 18 A/hr( or 864 watt )battery but that doesn't tell you what the motor wattage is.There will be a small plate or sticker on the motor with a voltage figure and another for amps or watts. If it's amps multiply that by 48 and you'll have the watts rating for the motor which if it's less than 600 you don't - or didn't used to need to licence it.

onion5, Sep 25, 9:13pm
Thanks il'l see if i can find it.

noswalg, Sep 25, 10:03pm
The only things that can be registered as AB class vehicles are power assisted bikes which have to be less than 300W in total everything else is classed as a moped or motorcycle, in saying that there are loopholes my scoot is 90cc, does 100 kmh but is registered as a moped.