Trailer load towing

Page 1 / 2
tnt423, Sep 25, 8:01am
I need to pick up some steel that is 6.5m long will I be able to fit this on a 6x4 trailer if I have the steel right up close to the tow bar. Can I have 4meters hanging out the back from the rear wheels!

monaro17, Sep 25, 8:04am
I wouldn't think so no- I could be wrong though

tnt423, Sep 25, 8:08am
Yea even if it is legal I think I might still chop some off the back.

eajo1mbwass, Sep 25, 8:14am
can you put the front of the trailer down put the steel further up along the towbar so you do not have so much out the back , and you must put a flag on anything hanging out the back

trader_84, Sep 25, 8:17am
I always thought you were allowed up to a meter or something sticking out the arse end! I use my tandem car trailer for picking up steel and the lengths of 6.5m fit no problem but I end up having a meter or something hanging over when the lengths are the 8m ones. Cut some off mate and have no more than a meter hanging over. Have an old Hi-Vis vest available to tie on the overhang . have your strops ready to use . and have a roll of cheap brown packing tape ready to secure the Hi-Vis and the loose ends of the strops. I'm picking up steel if not every week - then every second week most times. You get into a routine. Oh yeah . if you are going to get them to cut your lengths . then have a figure in your head that you want them to cut at that won't have you wishing you had a longer piece. You know what I mean. Anyway . go well.

newtec1, Sep 25, 8:58am
No way,I can't recall the regs,but 4 mtrs is a no no. 1 1/2 would be the max.

pauldw, Sep 25, 9:16am
You are allowed a maximum of 4m behind the rear trailer axle. "If the load extends more than 1 metre behind the trailer, you must tie on a white flag, or a red, orange or yellow fluorescent flag. The flag must be at least 40 centimetres by 30 centimetres in size. The load must be tied on firmly and must not touch the ground." http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-your-vehicle/light-trailer-requirements.html

mrfxit, Sep 25, 9:20am
Simple answer . NO.
A simpler solution would be a combo 3 rack system on a ute
(tail rack/ roof rack /front bumper rack)

tnt423, Sep 25, 9:36am
Link below says I can hang no more than 4m from the back axle, seems like a crazy amount I reckon it would be about 2.5-3m off the back.

tnt423, Sep 25, 9:40am
Yea I normally just get them to deliver it, but I only need a couple of lengths for a small job. I think Ill have to get them to cut it down.

tnt423, Sep 25, 9:41am
Don't have a Ute.

tnt423, Sep 25, 9:42am
Thanks for the link, I searched for a bit but couldn't find it.

bashfulbro, Sep 25, 10:55am
Paul dw is correct, you are allowed 4 metres behind the rear axis, which is the middle of the two axles, if a tandem, or the middle of the single axle, if a single.you can load it as far forward, as you can , allowing room for turning.You must have an orange yellow, or red flag at least 400 x300m on if more than 1 metre out the back ( which it will be)

solarboy, Sep 25, 12:03pm
I run sheep so have a crate for the trailer which came in handy when I bought some 8 metre lengths of steel. I angled the steel over the car roofwith it resting on top of the crate at the front and on the trailer deck at the rear.Of course a sawhorse or a pallet on it's side at the front of the trailer would do the job as well.

skin1235, Sep 25, 12:24pm
why do I have a mental image of the next hiway cops series showing someone with a wee short single trailer behind his subby and tied on the trailer is a sawhorse at the front with an 8mt lenght of box angled upwards from the back of the trailer at approx 60 degrees festooned with every cable that hung across the previous 4 km of suburban streets

newtec1, Sep 25, 6:27pm
Yep crazy,no way would i tow 4mts over the back of the trailer.

the-lada-dude, Sep 25, 7:24pm
can you not fit the steel thru the back window of your tow car !+

tnt423, Sep 25, 9:33pm
Lol it will be hanging out the back and it will be a Safari not a Subby, but don't worry ill put a wheel on the steel to stop it wrecking the road when it drags

tnt423, Sep 25, 9:34pm
Just checked and it won't clear the roof on my Safari.

supernova2, Sep 26, 11:59am
That then becomes another problem the regs state the load must not drag on the road.

trader_84, Sep 26, 6:31pm
But it won't though . because he would have converted his trailer to a tandem and would be using the engineering principle of 'chassis flex' to dampen road shock instead of conventional springing convention. Giddyup.

supernova2, Sep 26, 8:26pm
Good point!But is it an acceptable engineering practice to use bailing twine as structual fixing!

trader_84, Sep 26, 8:37pm
Mate . you are asking the guy who mooted earthing a trailer light system through the tow hitch if bailing twine is acceptable for structural fixing, lol! . only the green stuff is up to spec.

tnt423, Sep 26, 9:55pm
No it's not but cable ties are.

skin1235, Sep 26, 10:08pm
couple of years ago we cleared a gully of gorse and manuka, running along the gully was a line of the old telephone poles, the double railway iron type, about 8 or 9mt long each
pulled those poles out and dropped them down by the road fence
was up there a few days later, just on dusk, came round the corner and in the paddock sits an old hilux, couple of guys looking sheepish, they'd cut the fence to get in, used the hilux to pull about 6 poles away from the fence, then straddled them with the hilux, they'd then jacked the ends of the poles up to meet thediffs and tied the poles to the chassis rails with a good wrap of no8 wire each
all good in theory, but the extra 3 tonne of steel had already sunk the hilux into the soft paddock - they were bellied on their illegal haul

cut the wires and pulled them out, told them don't come back

the prospect of them driving 35km back to town with those poles sticking a good 3 mt out each end, in the dark, was a bit disturbing