Motorbike Help please

gypsy271, Sep 19, 4:00am
Hi there I want to get my motorbike licence and need to get myself a bike 250cc and under, I'm only 5ft 3 so has anyone got any ideas of brands of bikes I could look into that would suit a short/learner!

pollymay, Sep 19, 4:10am
GN250 and the likes are popular. What exactly kind of bikes are you into!

There are cruisers, sports bikes, dirtbikes, dual purpose. 2 stroke, 4 stroke. Some are better on long distance trips, others are better for the twisties. Depends what you want to do, personally I went for a honda 4 stroke sports bike. Cheap and doesn't matter too much if I lay it down.

kazbanz, Sep 19, 4:34am
Op --you need to get out there and swing a leg over a few bikes. Keep in mind that the learner laws change oct 1
My favorite for learners is the Honda spada 250. The srv250 is another one.
But with the new laws a GS500 might be good
Without wanting to sound overpersonal or crudeits not your overall height thats the issue withing yourself. Its your inside leg measurement that matters.
With bikes. One might on paper have a lower seat height than another but end up seeming tallerbecause its seat is wider or the footpegs are positioned to make it hard to put your foot straight down.

countrypete, Sep 19, 4:37am
Don't forget the new laws coming into effect on 1 Oct will allow learners to ride a bigger range of motorcycles, including many with engines up to 650cc.An example is a Suzuki Boulevard S40 / LS650 which have a very low seat height, low weight, yet are more than capable of keeping up with open road motoring.Another eg would be a large capacity scooter like a Yamaha Majesty or Suzuki Burgman.Again, easy to ride and ample power.

desmodave, Sep 19, 5:07am
Do you ride already ! go to a dealer and see what fits you for a start .

gypsy271, Sep 19, 5:14am
I love the chrome and black look lol, love Suzuki intruders, keewaysand boulevards. At the moment I ride a Zip50cc and love it, it goes 70km 2 up but it is a 4 stroke and find it's very slow on take off. I have been told 2 stroke is quicker over all. I was going to buy another scooter but figure if I'm going to pay out over $3000 I think I'd rather put it to getting something a bit more hmmmmmm grown up lol sick of the traffic thinking I'm a Nana on a scooter and pulling out in front of me. With not having my licence yet it makes it hard because I can't test ride anything.and I can't go for my licence until I learn this gears thing on a proper bike.

desmodave, Sep 19, 5:36am
sick of the traffic thinking I'm a Nana on a scooter and pulling out in front of me.
Thats 1 of the joys of motorcycling. It dont matter what you ride cars will still try run ya over. Thats why having abit of power is handy , you can get out the way quicker.I like dirt type bikes for learners because there is less to damage when ya drop it but short leggs are gunna limit choice so you will have to see what fits. Good luck

motorboy2011, Sep 19, 5:38am
Suzuki Fx125 or fxr150

bitsy_boffin, Sep 19, 5:56am
My first suggestion is that you should head over to kiwibiker.co.nz and post an introduction in the Biker Angels forum, I'll bet there's a few ladies there who can speak from direct experience about bikes for the leggedly challenged.

Apart from that I'll +1 on kazbanz' suggestion of a Spada, although at 5'3, you're going to have to try for size.

I think you'd be fine on any of the (many) 250 cruisers, there are plenty to choose from these days and all are quite low-slung.I'd probably steer clear of "Lifan" personally, but the other large brands, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and to an extent Hyosung, are all good and have offerings in the small cruiser market.

As others have mentioned, on October 1st a lot more bikes become available to learner/restricted riders, here's the list:
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/approved-motorcycles.html#approved
But that said, you'd usually find that as capacity increases, the general size does too so probably not that helpful.

Nothing wrong with a 250, especially in NZ with our lack of long straight highways and plenty of short twisty roads.

berg, Sep 19, 6:04am
Mrs Berg started on a GN250, then to a Kawasaki ER6n and is now on a GSR750. She said the GN was a fantastic learner for a complete novice but you may want to wait until Oct and look for a Suzuki s40 or simular being that you already ride

m16d, Sep 19, 6:10am
No need to go and sit on any bikes.
Try this.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

desmodave, Sep 19, 6:20am
By golly what will they think of next

m16d, Sep 19, 6:26am
Put your height in as 9ft and see how it looks.

gypsy271, Sep 19, 6:45am
Hey thanks for all this info!

kaymay88, Sep 19, 7:07am
oh for god sakes, slow, ugly, awful handling, below average brakes, terrible suspension and tyres that may as well be made of wood. many many many many many superior bikes out there, and with lams upon us, you might as well take a look at the wider variety of options now available to learners.

sifty, Sep 19, 7:27am
They all have the same tyres.!

gunhand, Sep 19, 7:29am
Thats bloody awesome.

motorboy2011, Sep 19, 9:29am
agree, although it had neither exact bike I have, it had a different model for both that have the same frame as mine

watson79, Sep 25, 7:53am
I started on a Honda vtr 250, was good to get out there to sit license etc but out grew it very quick, fast enough round town thou, and cost very littleto run, not a big deal if you drop either as there's no fairings to damage

mantagsi, Sep 25, 7:55am
Damn, looks like I won't be getting that scooter after all

gunhand, Sep 25, 8:16am
LOL, had all my ones. Some the same colour.

plasticboys, Sep 26, 2:25am
monkey bike

singing1, Sep 26, 3:46am
Go down to the bike shop and sit your arse on a few different bikes.some say the GN's are ugly.some like them.they are bloody cheap and pretty reliable and have a nice low seat. Cant do 200k's but you are learning right/