250cc Motorbike Question :-)

Page 1 / 2
woodstockblu, Sep 23, 7:46am
I have recently purchased a 2008 Keeway Cruiser to get my learners licence on.Question is, I am unable to get it faster than 80ks! Specs for top speed are around 115ks.

Its a V-twin and has only done just over 2000ks. A couple of people have told me that it maybe governed!

Thanks in advanced.

kazbanz, Sep 23, 7:57am
If its a 250cc bike theres something pretty badly wrong if it struggles to do moren 80.
I'd be checking for mechanical issues such as closed up valves or timing out before restrictions

woodstockblu, Sep 23, 8:13am
Thanks kazbanz.

I was wandering about the valves also,in the manual it says at 1000ks to inspect the valve opening. The lady i brought it off didnt have bike for long either as she just had it to get learners on also. Apart from this problem she runs sweet as. So possibly this has not been looked at. Any ideas on how i can check this! Cheers.

fryan1962, Sep 23, 8:22am
Check that you are using all the gears in the box

woodstockblu, Sep 23, 8:37am
Check.Yes 5 speed. I maybe a female but me not that blonde lol.

fryan1962, Sep 23, 8:56am
I did not check your profile lol
Possible air-filter restriction

I promise not to mention anything about carrying capacity ok

woodstockblu, Sep 23, 9:37am
Carrying capacity is 73kgs lol.
I did look at air filter today, gave it a clean. no change. (it was pretty clean anyway)
As for any restriction.! have just read that maybe take air filter out an see if any better!

flockton55, Sep 23, 10:09am
To reduce power, sometimes there is a 'washer' in the intake tract. This would usually be on the engine side of the carburettor. Any mechanic could check it for you, or look with a torch and small mirror into the back of the carburettor. Usually they reduce the size from about an inch, down to half that.
Some learner bikes are supposed to be limited in power-to-weight ratio.

kazbanz, Sep 23, 10:10am
My honest advice would be to book it into a bike shop and have it serviced.
Just use Yamaha XV250 settings for exhaust and inlet valve settings.
The people there will also know if the bikes restricted or just in need of a service. But given the last owner probably diddn't do the 1000k service I bet it will improve a heap.
That said at 2000km a lil air cooled bike is likely still running in so it might improve over time

woodstockblu, Sep 23, 10:36am
Thanks guys :-)

After reading this, Mr is making me book her in to get this sorted :-) Will let you know the outcome.

fryan1962, Sep 24, 3:46am
I has been a while since I was on a 250, I was on motorway doing the 100 klm and the piston melted, It was not to bad the bike came to a gradual halt

5 minutes from home

countrypete, Sep 24, 5:28am
Back in the '70's I used to ride my Honda 250 Motorsport trail bike from Wellington to Napier regularly, cruising at 60 - 65mph.No worries at all.The Hyosung ought to be able to do that easily.

As others have said, it's quite fitted with a restrictorin the inlet or more likely, exhaust.

woodstockblu, Sep 24, 8:17am
Nasty, would of been bummer if you were further away from home.

woodstockblu, Sep 24, 8:20am
Heres hopeing its an easy fix :-) dont have time to get it looked at till end of the week.

thewomble1, Sep 24, 2:47pm
Correct fuel being used! Just a thought

woodstockblu, Sep 24, 7:43pm
I was told it has been running on Premium Unleaded, so this is what i have been using. The whole what petrol to use is confusing for me.!

kazbanz, Sep 25, 1:01am
Fryan melted pistons at 100km/h would be an issue with THAT bike. hardly a common issue

doug207, Sep 25, 3:15am
It's just a copy of a Yamaha XV250 Virago.
They never got restricted as they never made enough power to need to be restricted.
First things first, are you turning the choke off!

Otherwise I'd be doing as Kaz said, valve clearances (if they haven't been done yet, it'll need them as it's being run in)

Does the engine pull cleanly to redline in other gears!
If the clearances are within spec, I'd pull the plugs and check them
Clean/inspect carbs
Replace fuel filter
Sync carbs
Check for exhaust blockages
Check it's getting healthy spark
Check leads and plug caps
Etc

fryan1962, Sep 25, 4:52am
It was a CL 250 honda of course, bit of weird beast, i went through a few of them

fryan1962, Sep 25, 4:56am
No one has touched on your post
I would be just using standard Unleaded,it is hardly performance bike, talk to guys when you get it looked at

woodstockblu, Sep 27, 12:22am
Yea might try this, can i mixed the petrol! or best to use up whats in there first!

kazbanz, Sep 27, 12:28am
Hmm-but thats just a cb250 T or N with a custom tank. I wouldn't a thunk one of them would melt a piston at 100--unless the rings were worn and it was running 4 heat ranges too hot a plug.

woodstockblu, Oct 2, 8:27am
Great news.was a little bit of crap in the fuel that managed to go through with a good thrashing by a friend of mine :-)

Running sweet now.Yay :-)
Thanks guys for you thoughts and help.

purple666, Oct 2, 8:31am
Just needed an old school tune-up, stick it in 2nd gear and give it heaps.
I like stories with happy endings.

woodstockblu, Oct 2, 8:38am
Yep just needed old skool lol. im likeing happy ending also :-) I feel a lot more confident and comfortable now im a learner rider being able to do 100ks on main rd. Glad new rules for learners came in yesterday, 70ks is just a hazard.