Who can put in car stereos?

Page 1 / 2
jacqui248, Sep 20, 11:16pm
anyone! not me .

saxman99, Sep 20, 11:26pm
Lots of people can.

jacqui248, Sep 20, 11:48pm
like who do i ring! i f i bought one from repco say, how do i get it installed! can repco do it!

splinter67, Sep 20, 11:51pm
auto sparky mechanic some handy person

thunderbolt, Sep 20, 11:59pm
Repco can't install, but they can recommend a local installer

intrade, Sep 21, 12:04am
most new cars are nightmare especially when the client wants to not pay anything and thinks of fitting some warhouse crap radio. I tell everyone that i cant install radios end of story .

intrade, Sep 21, 12:06am
that said if you got a radio you can get adaptors from supercheap auto to match the wiring loom to the radio convertor plug in job thats all i would ever use if i do install.

greta29, Sep 21, 3:24am
Its so easy to do give it a try once you done you always know how to it .not much can go wrong maybe a few fuses will pop

n1smo_gtir, Sep 21, 4:47am
Keep wirings tidy n connections secure and insulated properly is most important. Take your time n don't rush

compchick, Sep 21, 5:52am
We had a supposed auto electrical business install our headunit, speakers, 2 amps and a sub into our ute, cost was around $700.After driving home I noticed a high pitched sound coming over the speakers, I rang him back to try and sort it out.All I got was "oh yeah I heard that too, couldn't do anything about it so when you come back in to get your new amps installed I'll see what I can do".We had told him we were going to get new amps the next year (the ones we put in then were secondhand).There was nothing wrong with the amps installed, the installation on the other hand was sh*t to say the least.Wiring miles too long, two holes left open to the road underneath the amps (I found this out when I came to make an adjustment to an amp and found water under it soaked through the carpet etc they were installed under back passenger seat) he had earthed the amps to a painted surface, the list goes on.Now the front speakers are intermittant, needless to say he won't be getting anymore business from us.

extrayda, Sep 21, 7:42am
Modern cars not too hard - using the adapter as intrade says.The only thing to watch out for is that the new unit is the same size as the old (e.g. double din headunits in some Toyotas are wider than standard, so you have to get fillers for the sides). Getting some of the trims off can also be a challenge.Older cars are much easier to get behind the dash and such, but you generally have to do the wiring yourself from scratch (by older I mean 70's !).Neither job is that hard, just takes a bit of time.

johnf_456, Sep 21, 8:25am
Give it a go yourself it may be easier than you think. Do you know anyone who is mechanically and electrical savvy.

xs1100, Sep 21, 8:47am
get the adaptors from repco also not a hard job these days and just think of the acheivement factor

siobhan41, Sep 21, 8:54am
I had one installed today in a Toyota so needed the spacers and a tray underneath as original was a double din.
Cost $95 from a auto sparky which I was happy enough to pay.

aktow, Sep 21, 3:07pm
i went to a car stereo installer,, far cheaper than a auto electrician.,, i had a thick jensen unit so they had to remove a tray and cut out a fewbrackets to fit the stereo in. all up cost me $35

incar., Sep 22, 12:32am
without knowing the type of vehicle you wouldn't say something like this considering the complicated installs i have done on late model cars, but then again she wants a $35 unit so i'll eat my words and assume its just the run of the mill car

vtecintegra, Sep 22, 12:38am
Most modern cars have stereos built into the dashboard, and or other functionality like air con or cameras tied into the stereo.

It's not possible to change these without getting some kind of aftermarket panel with a DIN slot, and even then you might lose functionality

patiki1, Sep 22, 1:10am
Who can put in car stereos!Anyone with arms.

40wav, Sep 22, 3:04am
Even with no hands!

n3d4sp3d, Sep 22, 4:42am
make sure car doesn't haveCAN communication to the radio you'll have all sorts of fun and games if you mess with that

extrayda, Sep 22, 7:39am
hhmm should have qualified my statement - my 97 cefiro was just a harness and some time messing about getting the dash fascia off (didn't enjoy that bit).2001 Estima was a double din factory unit, which had the camera built in (but stereo didn't work well, and only sometimes played cd's).That was where I discovered you needed the spacers on the sides!

I'm getting old, cos modern to me is stuff after mid 90's !
Really modern stuff yes, all integrated, which would make me nervous, as when something craps out (e.g. cd loading mechanism) it's a much bigger hassle.
I grew up with cars where putting in a stereo meant wiring everything from scratch (even + feed from battery).That did take a bit longer.

granada, Sep 22, 7:55am
Agree, I gave up on stereos when they started going Doof,doof, doof.Customers expect you to install speakers ,subs amps and head units for $100.and everyones an expert on them including the client.I have easier methoids of making money.Pulled a 2012 Hilux apart yesterday to tap into the speed sensor wire connected to the stereo,s volume.The faster you drive ,it increases the volume to compensate for road noise.Is it really necessary.

bigfatmat1, Sep 22, 8:17am
Lke a skyline the power supply for the heater is in the radio

jacqui248, Sep 22, 8:22am
well this is a very old vehicle . 92. and it has a great gaping hole where stereo used to be, i see wires behind there! maybe i can do this myself after all!

scoobeey, Sep 22, 9:16am
The milkman can do it i think