Whats the car in front?

Page 2 / 2
bent_ate, Sep 12, 1:04am
Looks like a cross between an E type Fag and a GT40

gooddealz2, Sep 12, 1:17am
SMILEY

fiatracer, Sep 12, 3:40am

texastwo, Sep 12, 3:46am
Yes the really interesting part was that it was a monocoque chassis.

esprit, Sep 12, 4:08am
Well I never, I stand corrected! :) I never knew that some of their models used a wooden semi-monocoque.

clark20, Sep 12, 9:25am
Have not seen Socram for a while (Marcos spelt backwards.) He is a fan

PS Hang on, he also owns a Mini and a Freelander, are you stalking him!

PPS Got a email from Shane Drake today as well

fordcrzy, Sep 12, 9:38am
yup its a marcos.sometimes even fitted with a v6 ford engine. although like the morgan they sometimes were found with fiat twin cams or lotus twin cams in them

sw20, Sep 12, 9:40am
0-100 in 7 seconds!

rob_man, Sep 12, 9:53am
I thought it looked like Ray's one.

noswalg, Sep 12, 8:41pm
yep the splinter supercar project is testament to that, wood laminates are incredibly durable. I haven't seen anything from the finished project though

splinter67, Sep 12, 8:46pm
Hell didn't know I was building a super-car its cool but not a super-car and definitely got no wood in it

pge, Sep 12, 9:00pm
Alrightf-p--

I was the first to get it right

Where's my choccy fish.

bill-robinson, Sep 12, 10:15pm
get him to put the postage in your bank first

drog, Sep 13, 12:02am
I thought they held hands to stop that happening!

pge, Sep 13, 12:58am
You're supposed to be on MY side!

JEEEEEZ, Wayne.

jmma, Sep 13, 1:21am
Hes taking you for a sucker (o:

bill-robinson, Sep 13, 3:21am
OK, put the postage in my account and the same in his account.happy now!

pge, Sep 13, 10:47am
I have decided to pick-up.

socram, Sep 22, 4:23am
Nope, steel space frame chassis.They abandoned the wooden chassis 1969, not due to strength issues.As there were no less than 350 pieces of ply to be cut and glued (aerolite glue), it was more expensive to build than steel.The steel has in fact proved less durable than the ply over time, but is easier to repair, particularly if crash damaged.Marine ply does not suffer from woodworm, but it ischeap joke that we continue to live with.
I think there are 3 or maybe 4 wooden chassis cars in NZ - one of the latest ones to be imported has a plywood chassis and they had great fun with seat belt mounting compliance.They should take a look at the spindly belt mounts on the steel chassis cars.
Most successful on the track in European historic racing is the plywood chassis, Volvo B20 engined car.The B30 (six cylinder - all cast iron) is far too heavy and doesn't breathe very well, as they used the same twin carbs as for the four cylinder, centrally located, so cylinder's 1 & 6 do not get a good amount of fuel.Pity, as with triple carbs, a decent inlet and exhaust manifold and no other mods, it unlocks about 50bhp - which would be nice to have.
Been away so missed this thread.Has FP been banished again!

splinter67, Sep 22, 4:26am
Yup FP has gonehows your steering working out

socram, Sep 22, 4:35am
I take it you mean on the V8!Getting there, but crying at the wasted money so far, getting people involved who were dealing with items beyond their knowledge limits.A little knowledge is a verydangerous thing.