Auto Transmission Question. Our runabout for the kids dropped the hose transmission hose off the bottom of the radiator and pump

spudster, Sep 16, 8:45am
Our runabout for the kids dropped the hose transmission hose off the bottom of the radiator and pumped the trans dry. I have refilled with fluid and now it is stuck in park. You can shift it in to gear and it seems to pick up the gears but won't drive. Does it sound like the trans has died or is there something that might be an easy fix. The car is worth nothing. Thanks

intrade, Sep 16, 8:48am
where did you fill the fluids and how mutch! if its dumped the lot then there is almost 8 liter fluids missing

spudster, Sep 16, 8:51am
The trans takes 6 litres. Filled mainly through the dipstick.

intrade, Sep 16, 8:53am
shift thru all gears and if it wont drive. then yes it be poked . what car is it out of interest!

spudster, Sep 16, 8:57am
I have put it into all the gears to let the fluid pump and returned to N between each, same as when you replace the trans filter. The Car is a 1987 Mitsi Mirage. A cheap little car that was doing its job until kids start fiddling.

intrade, Sep 16, 9:00am
yup she is poked parts or scrap metal now

spudster, Sep 16, 9:02am
Sweet as.

mazzyz, Sep 16, 9:03am
The car wasn't being driven when trans fluid was dumped! I would've thought in that case it would just need refilling! (Just wondering out loud, could be way off base.) Overfilling will cause trans to not operate correctly too as pressure would be wrong.

petermcg, Sep 17, 6:07am
Losing the transmission fluid will not damage the transmission, the drive stops because there is no oil in the torque converter, keep the motor running and check the fluid on the dip stick,,WITH THE MOTOR RUNNING,, I am certain that these guys are right and you need to put more fluid in. It needs to get pumped around the tarnsmission and fill the tourqe converter with out having any air in it , so keep filling and trying.

intrade, Sep 17, 6:12am
read up he already put 6 liter in to it . its poked for sure.

supernova2, Sep 17, 6:32am
Fluid wont cause that.Is it actually stuck in park or just not driving!

spudster, Sep 17, 9:07am
It seems to be stuck in park as the drive wheels will not turn at all. As I put in the op it shifts into gear but won't drive.

kingfisher21, Sep 17, 9:10am
It's fu#$%ed.

kingfisher21, Sep 17, 9:12am
Eerrrrr, yes it will, what do think lubricates it! Would you run your engine with no oil in it!

dave653, Sep 17, 9:50pm
You can after a dose of Redex or Slick50.

bwg11, Sep 18, 2:05am
Possibly an internal fault in the transmission, like blocked filter or malfunction in the valve body, which caused excessive pressure whichblew the hose off.

usdefault, Sep 18, 6:01am
Of course it's rooted.

OP said it was pumped dry suggesting the hose didn't just fall off when it was parked up.

Pumped dry when driving he'd need the second coming of christ to save the gearbox.

petermcg, Sep 18, 6:14am
No it wont , when the oil runs out there are no moving parts in the transmission any more

splinter67, Sep 18, 6:20am
Hate to tell you this but its an 87 mitsi if its run out of oil its ready to go to the wreckers

kingfisher21, Sep 18, 6:55am
Oh yes there is, but if you believe otherwise then feel free to try it on one of you own vehicles.

elect70, Sep 19, 3:44am
^^ snapdriveshaft is still turningplanetarys will still be rotatingbutclutches wont workstuffed

petermcg, Sep 19, 4:03am
I have seen many automatic transmissions drop there oil through blown of pipe or hole in sump. With the oil pump in the front of them drive stops when the torque converter runs low on oil and ,, the car stops. You would need to leave the engine running for a long time or tow the vehical a long distance to do any real damage to the friction plates. The oil does three things it provides hydraulic pressure,, it lubricates,, and it cools,, A different scenario would be a slow leak as when these three things fail gradually you lose some hydraulic pressure, some cooling and some lubrication,,if you continue driving like this then you are likley to do damage to , bearings, bands, clutches, oil pump, valve body, govenors and torque converter.

monzaman, Sep 19, 4:04am
Wrong, the pump gears are still driven by engine via torque converter and if not damaged by lack of oil trans prob still needs more oil esp if it feels like it is trying to engage drive and reverse there fore pump must be working enough to fill t/c and eventually get a level reading on dip stick.

phillip.weston, Sep 19, 4:15am
6L is not enough - they take close to 10L of fluid if they are pumped bone dry. I say keep refilling it! It could indeed be a damaged oil pump due to being run dry but I would doubt a gradual loss of fluid would cause that.