Towing a trailer. I want to hire a trailer first time to tow a trailer do you need any connections on the car to be able to do t

passionella, Sep 17, 9:29pm
I want to hire a trailer, first time to tow a trailer, do you need any connections on the car to be able to do that.I have a tow bar at the back of my car. But not sure if there is suppose to be another connection somewhere, that connects the car to the trailer to work the indicator and breaklights, have never done it before so unsure, please help .

illusion_, Sep 17, 9:37pm
Simple answer - yes there is

countrypete, Sep 17, 9:42pm
You'll probably find that there is a trailer wiring connector plug fitted either mounted to the towbar itself, or inside on a lead. If it's not on the towbar, look inside the boot, perhaps tucked under or around the spare wheel, or inside one of the plastic side panels in the side of your boot / hatch.

If it's your first time towing a trailer, it may pay to be careful to park so that you don't have to reverse too much - that can be tricky and frustrating if you have not done it before.

jokerboss, Sep 17, 11:52pm
if yo ucan view the car lights/brakes/indicators fine then you might get away without electrical connections (some cars seem to)

serf407, Sep 18, 1:16am
Remember the safety chain when putting the trailer on and when you are taking the trailer off.

intrade, Sep 18, 2:30am
you need on your car a towball and a wire plug if your car has not got a towball then you cant tow a trailer. sometimes the wiring plug is inside the car cheapskate installer do this . You wont need the indiactors on a trailer if the trailer is smaller and they can see your lights passed the trailer.
If you dont have a wiring connector and you intend to tow trailers regularly then its recommended you get a plug wired up on to the towbar.

intrade, Sep 18, 2:32am
also keep in mind not to turn to sharp with a trailer , and reversing is real hard if you never used a trailer befor and if you cant see the trailer then reversing is even harder even for people used to operate trailers.

richms, Sep 18, 9:56am
And if you are front wheel drive expect some fun going up hills if it is loaded to anywhere close to the towing limit of the car.

rob_man, Sep 18, 10:04am
Never run with scissors. Why do you want to break the lights!