Galvanising trailer springs

mykl, Sep 15, 9:04am
A couple of years ago when I got a WOF for my boat trailer the inspector said the axle was showing signs of corrosion and suggested I take to it with a rotary wire brush and zinc paint. I did this, but now 2 years later the rust is showing through again. I intend to remove the axle and get it sent to Chch for re-galvanising (nobody does it in Blenheim) and was wondering if I can do the springs as well, (they are the single leaf type). Would the galvanising process affect the temper in the springs!

969pnz, Sep 15, 9:25am
Have you considered thermal arc coating! Can be done in Blenheim.

mykl, Sep 15, 9:50am
Never heard of it until I just 'googled' it. What coating would you suggest and how much would it cost! And, of course, who does it!

brokebloke1, Sep 15, 7:54pm
you cant gavl the springs as the heat of the gavl bath will take the temper out of the springs making them useless, what ive done in the past with boat trailer springs is to wire brush as much of the flaky rust off thencoat them with a thin layer of grease.

ceebee2, Sep 15, 8:07pm
2 Years is a good run by the sea, I would simply repeat the process and save $$'s. I have tried many ways to reduce rust on boat trailer springs and I conclude there isn't a remedy, although you can minimise rust by removing / complete de-scaling (Be thorough) spray a 75% zinc coat on followed by 2 coats metal primer followed by2 coats paint and lastly spray several coats of "CRC softseal" At least this will last longer than what you are doing now.

mrfxit, Sep 15, 8:56pm
You can galv spring steel (apparently)
Theres a few for sale from various places, just do a simple Google search to see what I mean

Greasing multi leaf springs isn't a good idea as they flex to far & end up snapping.
Seen it happen a few times on truck front springs.
Single leaf no worrys

There are different levels & types of galving/zinc coating available

ralphdog1, Sep 15, 10:26pm
What about using single leaf parabolic galv trailer springs, they are available and it fixes the problem.