Ford exploder wheel bearing

motorboy2011, Sep 13, 7:39pm
mates 2001 for explorer failed wof on a front wheel bearing, and has been told the whole front assembly will need doing as the bearing is not removable, is this true!

a.woodrow, Sep 13, 8:53pm
Don't know offhand, but do you for some reason think the repairer would lie about it! It's fairly common to have to replace whole hubs for wheelbearings.

desmodave, Sep 13, 9:04pm
Socket set and a hammer. (been told the whole front assembly ) what do you call the whole assembly ! .have alook at this and you will realise its not a big deal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=vHzgw8vnYg8

intrade, Sep 13, 9:07pm
i dont know but it seems a bit odd definitely needs investigating including checking if the bearing is actuarly faulty by secound party Sometimes you can just remove the play like most 4x4 hilux isuzu hiace vans by adjjusting the nut on the hub.

intrade, Sep 13, 9:19pm
looks like they change the whole hub thing wont be as cheap as a bearing. i wonder if you could change the bearing on old hub, you would see when you pull it apart.

tnt423, Sep 13, 9:22pm
I was told by a mate that they need the whole hub changing and cost around $800.

desmodave, Sep 13, 9:25pm
They look cheap enough on ebay or 2nd hand on here $75

intrade, Sep 13, 9:32pm
if you can get it for less then 380 nz$ new including shipping then there is no customs and gst over this it be 20% for customs and gst work extra money to be paid befor it gets delivered from the port akl-chch thats for oversees imports. its basically 60$ gst on total summ free over that attracts import tax and gst etc. and 60 smackers = 380$ nz

splinter67, Sep 13, 9:38pm
yet another reason to buy a holden

motorboy2011, Sep 13, 9:53pm
Im just going from what my friend told me she failed wof on and what the mech said to her. No reason to doubt the mech but if I believed everything everyone said i think i'd be the poorer for it!

motorboy2011, Sep 13, 10:06pm
cheers, good info there, not a big deal at all

ceebee2, Sep 13, 10:24pm
Just called Repco and up to 2001 = $678 incl GST. Retail

2001 onwards is 407 incl GST Retail so you will need to supply reg number / chassis number to isolate.

Both are for ABS.

motorboy2011, Sep 13, 11:26pm
Ouch! $$$

mopsy3, Sep 14, 1:46am
Often the halfshaft rusts into the flange and has to be pressed out. Hub assembly retails for $195+ and labour may be 2 hours give or take. Nowhere near $800. Just done two of them last week.

tnt423, Sep 14, 3:40am
Is that genuine Ford parts or stuff from somewhere like Repco!

unbeatabull, Sep 14, 8:29am
Genuine Ford you can buy the bearing seperately. Is a bit of labour involved though, one of the bolts can be a bit of a prick and is common for the bearing to be badly rusted to the hub assembly. We always keep a hub assembly in stock cause we have had them damaged or get damaged from pressing the bearing out.

motorboy2011, Sep 14, 9:03am
You're a workshop! If so, what's the job worth to do!

unbeatabull, Sep 14, 9:17pm
I work in a Ford Workshop actually.

Usually around 2-3 hours labour + parts. If all goes well can do in just over an hour, but quote 2-3 as there is the chance the bearing can be seized or hard to remove or further damage to the hub etc.

Can't remember cost on parts, I think the bearing itself is under $400, whole hub assembly (which comes with bearing) is up around 7-800$ mark.

mrfxit, Sep 14, 11:08pm
= crap factory assembly procedure & crappy designed seals.

I presume you allow for some correction work to stop it happening again so easily.

Pretty sad state when you have to replace a whole hub just because the bearing failed

mrfxit, Sep 14, 11:10pm
So on a good day $500
On a bad day $1100

Fair enough!

unbeatabull, Sep 15, 12:56am
Yup.

To be fair, I've seen on many vehicles from many manufacturers where a badly worn bearing can cause damage to the hub or stub as well. Explorer rear wheel hubs are just as bad for it, and cost more, and take even longer to do. Just another reason really why you don't buy Explorers at all!

Yes, we generally reseal the hub as well, haven't had any come back yet that we've done, but considering they took around 10 years to fail the first time probably won't see them back for a few years yet to see how effective our repair was.