Buying a new car

Page 1 / 2
susannah3, Sep 26, 6:52am
We have decided to buy a new car, so after having a look around hubby likes the holden cruze Sri v. Last night he rang a dealer in Hamilton and asked what he could do for a cash buyer, his answer.well we should be able to do free mats! Think we might be looking in a different town.

r15, Sep 26, 6:54am
where they will offer you a similar package

vtecintegra, Sep 26, 6:55am
Why do you think cash is an advantage!

gammelvind, Sep 26, 6:59am
Most dealers would prefer you to finance, much more in it for them than taking cash.

3tomany, Sep 26, 7:05am
shop around most new cars have a discount of some sort, dont lose any sleep cruze isnt the best car out there anyway. costs you nothing to get quotes

susannah3, Sep 26, 7:21am
Wow, so cash isn't preferred anymore. I am surprised at that, oh well , mats may have to be it then.

gammelvind, Sep 26, 7:27am
I worked in car sales new and used in the late 90's, finance was the prefered method then. The car sales gets a kick back from the finance company.

susannah3, Sep 26, 7:28am
ahh we'll I guess that makes sense then

trdbzr, Sep 26, 7:40am
Give Moyes a call. They can do some good deals.

susannah3, Sep 26, 8:58pm
Thanks will do.

doctor_evil99, Sep 26, 10:30pm
It's a well known fact that putting car on finance, both the sales person and dealer will get kick back from Finance company.whenw e bought our new car years ago - I was told that the sales person will get $500 if we chose finance.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 26, 10:34pm
You should ask yourself whether you want to be dealing with the same attitude when it comes to servicing.

I won't go to our local Holden dealership for anything. I have seen them completely ignore the fair trading and consumer guarantees act, instead of correcting the situation when this was pointed out they just brow beat the customer and told lies.

Also, be aware that when you buy one of these GM/Daewoo sub par vehicles you are going to be tied in to Holden's absurd parts pricing as there is very little in the way of 3rd party parts importers to keep costs fair and reasonable.

You could buy something a LOT better.

shelleigh, Sep 26, 11:29pm
I bought a brand new Fiesta in April and was happy with the discount I got for paying cash.
The Fiesta mats were already in the car and it also had mudflaps on it which were bonuses. Especially the mudflaps as they are not cheap to by and have put on.
OP there is no way I would have bought from the dealer if they had not given me a cash discount.

doctor_evil99, Sep 26, 11:49pm
With online shopping these days - you don't have to rely on dealership to supply genuine parts.My Holden Astra coil pack gave in - Holden quoted $610 - Gone into ebay and got new one from the UK for $190 and it arrived in four days.My last car, Peugeot 407 - ABS sensor from continental car $215 each - got all four from a Peugeot dealer in the UK (via eBay) $187 all up- ordered on Monday, the stuffs arrived on friday!

kazbanz, Sep 27, 12:12am
Snorts his coffee--do what!

trdbzr, Sep 27, 12:20am
Last I heard they do give better deals compared to other Holden dealers. A friend of mine bought a Captiva and VE Commie off them and another one bought a new Swift off them.

kazbanz, Sep 27, 12:25am
You are telling only half the story. -questions to ask yourselves
What price was the car at!
What price are they at elsewhere!
Its possible that the car has already been discounted so that really is the price.

I had EXACTLY this conversation with a "customer" on sunday.
Young guy with his girlfreind.
Walks straight to a car leans on it and says "so whats the cash price for this car!"
My reply was that in fact that car was on special and the price on the window really was the very best price I could do.
He went on to say that he "never pays window price for a car" "theres always a discount for cash"
I then told him that the car was the lowest priced example in the country (it really was) so there was no room to move.
To be honest I was getting a bit pissed off by this stage as he had implied I was lying to him.
I said-"tell you what--find another one -same year/similar milage for sale at a cheaper price. Get the price in wrighting and I will match it.
He came back later saying he would take the car.
For once I enjoyed saying it was already sold.-to someone who had done their homework before coming in

doctor_evil99, Sep 27, 3:01am
try Honda - you'd be lucky to get a set of mats

tuttyclan, Sep 27, 3:53am
Dont call Moyes and definatly dont leave the car you may be trading with them while you are test driving,they are known to pretend to loose your car just to get a sale.I can explain in full if you want me too(personal experiance),did not buy a car off them because of this.

susannah3, Sep 27, 4:33am
We don't have a carto trade as we giving the land cruiser to our daughter as she is moving out and needs it to tow her horse around, and keeping our other car as its only 2 years old, just need another mid range for a second car, according to holden website the cruze is $40,400 plus on road costs.

doctor_evil99, Sep 27, 4:38am
Avoid the 1.8 and go for the 1.4 turbo petrol.I am working in Aus, the cruze is a very popular but the 1.4 has very good resale value very well due to its sportiness and free reving engine.

susannah3, Sep 27, 5:12am
Yep it is the 1.4 Sri-v sedan that we are going to get.

doctor_evil99, Sep 27, 5:18am
nice car

tuttyclan, Sep 27, 6:09am
Wow 40k for a car with only a 1400 cc motor even if its turbo.

vtecintegra, Sep 27, 6:17am
Get used to it, many manufacturers are going the same way

The Focus is available starts with a 1.0l turbo with either 100 or 125hp in Europe, VW has the 1.2 TSI models, Renault does a 1.2 turbo, Fiat has a 900cc in the 500 etc etc