Finally found a car - any issues with Foresters?

Page 1 / 2
jane310567, Oct 4, 10:04am
I reckon they look a bit naf but work on most levels, motor is 2000cc so should be able to tow trailer - seems reasonably economical - not too big, can get manual. I have no experience with Subarus so is the servicing expensive or anything else weird as the 2 cars I am looking at seem to have been listed months ago!

greta29, Oct 4, 10:31am
stay away from them they s#*t

greta29, Oct 4, 10:34am
get a toyota rav 4 they better but i not a fan of anything japa so yea just see what other people think

serf407, Oct 4, 10:36am
It helps if you have a look at the vin.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html
The vin can be useful if researching for model specific faults.
Servicing can be more expensive on a subaru if there are faults that require the boxer 'engine out' to remedy, versus jobs which can be done less expensively 'engine in place' in a 'conventional longitudinal or transverse' engined car.
Have a look at Subaru specific online forums to see what the common issues are.

n1smo_gtir, Oct 4, 10:44am
What yr we talking here, turbo or non turbo. a lot of them share the ej20 with or without t for turbo. Overheating, blown head gaskets seems very common if not properly maintained through its entire life. 80 % woulda taken good thrashing in the past sadly.

icemans1, Oct 4, 3:21pm
Top Stolen Cars from AA Insurance

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1111/S00254/top-stolen-cars-from-aa-insurance.htm

foresters rank 4th. people steal them - no problem

barrylarry, Oct 4, 3:30pm
subarus are sweet. they just have a really complicated valvetrain. Having to do with boxer engine. their cambelts tend to need replacing more often than other models.

jane310567, Oct 4, 7:41pm
this is a 2005 non-turbo.

desmodave, Oct 4, 7:56pm
cambelts tend to need replacing more often than other models.
What are these other models you speak of !
Are you saying cambelts wear out quicker if they are fitted to a subaru !

gedo1, Oct 4, 8:04pm
Two reasons why Subaru is one of the most stolen vehicles.First because the are stolen to be used for parts in a damaged one; second because they are a known quick vehicle and are fun to drive.But mostly the first reason which would tend to indicate they are thrashed and broken easily.

kcf, Oct 4, 8:13pm
Had a non turbo Legacy as a work wagon.Drunk all the petrol you could ever throw at it, the synchro's buggered themselves.Ghastly car.Mechanically the same as a Forester.Wouldn't go near one personally.

mike92, Oct 4, 8:13pm
I Like mine. It's not so big to be a tank, doesn't look like a family station wagon and I can take it down onto the rocks at the river without scrapping the bottom of it. It's great to handle. Go for it.

tazcsv, Oct 4, 8:27pm
Being a later model it prob hasnt had the boy ricer treatment so as long as its been looked after it will be a great car. I think subarus are great but you do need to keep up the servicing.

jane310567, Oct 4, 8:32pm
man what divided opinions! Seems to have good reviews on google - will do the test drive thing today. I always service my cars every 6 mths so thats not an issue. Just hope they are not too dear to service - will call the subaru branch today to ask. Cambelt is around 100000kms!

jane310567, Oct 4, 8:33pm
Oh and I apprec your time answering as I don't buy cars very often so is out of my comfort zone!

n1smo_gtir, Oct 4, 8:49pm
remember to give it a good look over, in and under, don't be afraid to check under the oil cap, radiator cap, oil dipstick. rev the engine and listen to the engine. best advice be to take a mechanic friend who knows his stuff with you.

shakespeare6, Oct 4, 10:08pm
Don't get put off by plenty of un informed in here. you will get alot of motoring out of an 05 most have heard horror stories from the pre 2000 stuff and rightly so they are getting on. I have owned many and still own 2.
They don't drink fuel you will find them surprising economical . my 01 legacy turbo uses less fuel them my old 96 2l legacy.

You've got to compair apples with apples be like saying I would never own a commodore what an unreliable heap of gas guzzlingshit - yep owned a VK once so all commodores are crap.
Normally you find this site is full of over opinionated people who really have no knowledge but there are a few on here who actually know what they are talking about you need to work out who they are
My advice buy the car that you want not what some one else thinks you need .Take it to a mechanic who can give you an honest opinion.

chebry, Oct 5, 12:59am
Maintenance is the key to Subaru survival the cooling system in particular most die from being overheated.

supernova2, Oct 5, 1:08am
I don't profess to be a subby expert but do know 3 people who own (or have owned) various subbies.The only common statement is they are thirsty.If that is true then I would think it would be worse towing.

All in all from what I know i don't think a subby would be top of my option list for your application.

ducatiss, Oct 5, 2:06am
My 2litre Non Turbo Subaru was very economical.Easy to service and reliable though did have the 5th gear synchro done at an early millage but no trouble since. Like everything else, get it serviced regularly, don't abuse it and it will be fine. If buying used, look for evidence the previous owner has done likewise.

ceedoubleyou, Oct 5, 2:31am
Subaru do tend to have been thrashed, I'm onto my second one, first one was a twin turbo Legacy, did 60k in it without a problem, now had a 3.0R for 2 years without a hitch, touch wood. One of the best handling car I've ever owned. Just do your homework.

jane310567, Oct 5, 2:38am
OMG, one of them looks brand new - it's amazing how some ppl must care for their cars - love it - hubby will test drive tmrw.I won't know myself after sitting in Estima for 10 yrs!

dingo011, Oct 5, 2:39am
My god some on here talk a lot of tosh! There is nothing at all wrong with Subaru. service every 10,000k and cam belts every 100,000 km. Have it checked carefully pre purchase and you will have a great car. The great thing is the ignorant have made them very good value for money! We are on our third Forrester ( TURBO! ) and have had no problems apart from a seized air con compressor ( not a Subaru branded part ) I think they have continued to get better in the later models so 2005 will be a great car for what you need.

doctor_evil99, Oct 5, 3:41am
ummm. When you drive the car, will you wear jean that is two or three side larger than it should be, showing you multi colour boxer. with a baseball cap sideway.!

jason18, Oct 5, 4:04am
When you type will you type in english!