Motorbike Basic Handling Test, is it pretty easy?

disco_super_fly, Oct 4, 3:18am
I've been riding round carparks a fair bit. Got my gear changes perfect, steering down pretty well, can stop safely using both breaks and use the foot break pretty whilst riding. I'm pretty confident I can pass the test - however I tried to book it and the lady asked me if i was super sure I was confident enough and didn't need practise. Is it a fairly easy to pass test, or should I book the next level up which gives me a half hour or so of 1 on 1, i get to practise the test first etc! I'm super tight on money at the moment, so $80 for the test only is preferable to $120 for test+practise

jmma, Oct 4, 3:20am
Test and practice, what is your life worth!

gj0502, Oct 4, 3:27am
Just did it and I had been off a bike for about 3 years, would suggest going for just the test considering what you have said about car park practice etc.

disco_super_fly, Oct 4, 4:30am
Sweet - so in other words it's pretty straight forward! I've practised weaving round carpark lines and riding straight, seems pretty easy to me. apparently theres a part in the test where you have to come to a complete stop around a curve! How tight is this curve!

gj0502, Oct 4, 4:45am
Yeah pretty straight forward, the curve is quite big and is one of the easiest parts of the test.

Just had a thought, I think the test changed from the 1st of October so maybe just make sure there arn't any hidden surprises.

disco_super_fly, Oct 4, 4:53am
I think it's changing on the 1st November :) Yay i'm glad thats one of the easiest parts. Did they let you have a little play on their bike to get used to it first! I ride a gn250, not sure what kinda bike they usually provide for your use

gj0502, Oct 4, 4:55am
Oh that's handy then! I actually got given a gn250 to do the test on, my instructor was very friendly and like I said hadn't driven a motorbike for years and did everything first time (Even though they were counted as practices since I booked for longer time.)

jrd78, Oct 4, 5:12am
The test is super easy,good that you have been practicing,as long as you feel comfortable on your bike,good balance at walking pace and can weave through some obstacles,brake using both brakes and not to heavy on the front brake you will be fine,best of luck

pollymay, Oct 4, 5:19am
I have to do mine yet, I would happily demonstrate my ability to pop a mad skid.

kaymay88, Oct 4, 5:25am
the test isnt easy, its a joke. If youve spent more than ten minutes pootling around a carpark on a bike, you will smoke the test.

mantagsi, Oct 4, 5:45am
I remember when I did mine, yes the test was easy but the instructor was very pedantic about odd things, but passed no worries. From watching the other couple of workmates who came with me to do the test, it helps a lot if you don't go around acting like you are the next Casey Stoner, and that the test is beneath you :) I am surprised the instructor didn't fail the chap in question, but as the test is so easy it would have been damned hard to justify!

disco_super_fly, Oct 4, 6:57am
HAHAHAHA yay this makes me happy!

sifty, Oct 4, 8:58pm
just practice stopping and starting and slow speed manouvres and you'll be fine. Don't stress about it they are only really checking to see you have mastered the basic controls etc.
Good luck and ride safe

otay, Oct 6, 1:21pm
Thanks for that advice guys- I am up for mine soon, and like GJ0502 above used to ride on the farm years ago. Was a bit nervous about it too.

plasticboys, Oct 6, 11:16pm
$120 holy cow

nztona, Oct 8, 3:02am
They are looking at how much you know you know your surroundings, u turns, correct indicating, head turning looking down intersections, and also keeping to the speed limit. Girlfriend did her test last week and a lady illegally passed her, and she got a mark against because she should have seen her coming. Still passed though.

princesspossum, Oct 8, 3:15am
Yes, very easy. I passed mine and had ridden for about 20 minutes all up - never exceeding maybe 15kph.

woodstockblu, Oct 8, 8:15am
I did mine 3 days before the 1st October. I am so glad that the 2nd instructor i booked in with had a bike available to do the test. Reason being the cone test was the hardest they were set at 3.5mtrs apart and offset at 0.5mtrs.
If i had to do this on my bike i would have failed bigtime (so would have my partner on his bike)

Instructor had a 250 Suzuki that he had throttle bumped up'd & he told us to go around the cones with foot brake on at all times and just idle around them. Well after a few attempts I & Partner cracked it.

If we had to do this that slow honestly our bikes would have stalled.or would have to ride the clutch.

The 3.5mtrs isint the problem its the 0.5mtrs offset that is the problem.

OP Get lots of practice on this one, the rest was easy. From what i have read the new basic handling skills doesnt come in till 1st November.which is a twice a longer list than now.

Good Luck :-)

pico42, Oct 8, 8:17am
Which test are you talking about!

midis, Oct 8, 8:50am
are you thinking bout doing the one over the shore in the albany uni carpark! definately get the $80 one, no need to pay more. did the test a couple weekends back, too easy.