How come no one hotrods a modern car?

Page 1 / 2
kiwikidd77, Sep 30, 9:11am
All they seem to use is vintage cars.

sparkyz, Sep 30, 9:18am
If hot rodders did modern cars they would be called boy racers.

a.woodrow, Sep 30, 9:19am
What "modern" vehicle would be suitable hot rodded!

intrade, Sep 30, 9:21am
some of them nissan sports cars had a full chassy cant recall what one.@3

mrfxit, Sep 30, 9:21am
Hot Rodders don't often use OEM engines/ gearbox's/diff's etc. . inthe same brand body.
Ooopss theres a point "Diff's" = separate

mrfxit, Sep 30, 9:23am
PT Cruiser

extrayda, Sep 30, 9:28am
whats a modern car exactly.
To me they might be called 'customs', but not Hot Rods.
As aboce, often become 'rice', but can be done nicely.

mm12345, Sep 30, 9:28am
Possibly called "datsun" in those days:
http://digitaljournal.com/article/325264

intrade, Sep 30, 9:38am
na it was more like 2000 onwards , i was thinking finaly a propper sports car again. it looked similar to the nissan z but not sure if that is the one its a while since i did read it was just out then.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 30, 10:14am
Some fairly modern TVR's have a separate chassis.

sr2, Sep 30, 10:20am
Most of the hotrod community are very resistant to change. Although they trace their origins to an anti-establishment ???rebel without a cause??? movement they have become a conservative elderly automotive lobby group intent on preserving their antiquated version of the status quo. The thought of someone building a ???Hotrod??

mm12345, Sep 30, 10:23am
Would you hotrod a TVR with a VW 1.2 litre sequential turbo donk mated toa DSG trans!

hyphen, Sep 30, 7:16pm

tgray, Sep 30, 7:43pm
Plymouth Prowler!

timmo1, Sep 30, 8:15pm
A lot of it is due to tighter standards/requirements for modification and the move to unibody car construction

kwkbrk, Sep 30, 8:43pm
Which is exactly what an awful lot of hot rodders used to be.

supernova2, Sep 30, 9:01pm
I think the big problem with modern is the unitary construction and FWD.

intrade, Sep 30, 9:04pm
and you cant chop a roof of anew car they all collaps and sag instantly , its why i try to remember what ones had solid chassys . its a bit like the to hard to do basket as the only true new hotrod could be made out of the pt-cruiser.
other then this its as posted boyracers are the hotrodders of today.

bill-robinson, Sep 30, 9:11pm
you must remember that hot rods are old,old performance cars,60 -70 year old in design. Ladder chassis, cart,sorry beam axles, big engines, auto trans in a lot of cases. They are quick in a straight line, but most people have got used to modern handling,braking and comfort.As mentioned by another poster the so called boy racer is the modern hot rodder.

socram, Sep 30, 9:17pm
Although some would call my V8 repower a hot rod, I don't.Quoted poster is correct.A true Hot Rod needs a chassis.

Currently wading through the certification processes with mine and as has been mentioned before, rules have been changing faster than builders can keep up, so long term projects (which many are) face too many hurdles.
I was so down about mine a few weeks ago, after 8 years work and many thousands of dollars, I very nearly scrapped it.Having to have most of the suspension and steering redesigned and rebuilt having spent thousands on that aspect alone, is frustrating to say the least.You hand your car over to professionals, but some are less professional than others.

intrade, Sep 30, 9:18pm
the closest it coms to hotrodding is from a bangladeshian guy called lipu he had a series in the uk where they choppednew cars and made it something else , but non where ever road legal as it was all done rough in fast time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=l0XFXbhXej4&playnext=1&list=PLCCBC2AFAFC2300A4&feature=results_main

ceebee2, Oct 1, 12:59am
That was an awesome series.making something out of nothing,with next to no tools when he was building in Indi.

xpfairmont, Oct 1, 1:06am
because if you hot up their (modern cars) rods. they melt.

and I'm not sure a modern car would look very good or be very safe with no fenders on it.

xpfairmont, Oct 1, 1:47am
So. what is a Hodrod!

.goes makes popcorn.

trader_84, Oct 1, 1:49am
Wish I could afford newer cars but I'm stuck old stuff, damn!