How come no one hotrods a modern car?

Page 2 / 2
hotrodtodd1, Oct 1, 2:47am
Dont be silly MIke. We were (at various times) V8 boys, hot rodders, bogans, vanners and street machiners. We were never boy racers.

hotrodtodd1, Oct 1, 2:50am
A Hodrod! I think its some make of pop corn maker

hotrodtodd1, Oct 1, 2:59am
You say this like its a bad thing.

Just like there are those who like rugby how it was a generation ago & dont embrace the modern game, so there are hot rodders who choose to stick to their automotive roots.

Our sport has evolved as have most over the past forty years, and with an older demographic (yuk) comes the ability to build or buy what we could not afford when we were young.

So its likely that there will be more early Ford V8s (tupperware and imported tin ones) and less modified Mk3 Zedcars, PAX Vauxhalls and Morry 1000s at events, event tho they were present at the first Street Rod Nats back in Taupo in 1972

supernova2, Oct 1, 3:35am
Mrs Stewert maybe once!

matarautrader, Oct 1, 3:40am
In 1990 at the Ninety Nats in Paihia the hot rodders voted a Mazda into the top 10. Did cause a bit of controversy though.

bjmh, Oct 1, 4:00am
i saw a Chev SSR in Taupo,bit like a modern hot rod.

kwkbrk, Oct 1, 7:30pm
Only because the term had never been invented at that point. And you forgot street racers .

matarautrader, Oct 2, 2:56am
nah we wern't boy racers. We was "them bl**dy young hoons from down the rad"

elect70, Oct 2, 3:03am
Different generation,todaysboys want to spendmore $$ on sounds &flashygear &loud exausts on jappasthan spendthousands of hours building something may notever get on the road > But there is a bit of a revival in old schoolcars .

twink19, Oct 3, 3:14am
if the rules change, why is that the proffesionals fault! it would have been built to spec at the time they worked on it

whqqsh, Oct 3, 3:18am
imagine the rush when you walk up to your mates & say "look what ive done to my Vitz!" oh boy, the excitement. NOT!

socram, Oct 3, 4:06am
Not at all twink. The geometry was all wrong; welded threads (not good practice); welded steering column (not allowed); steering rack way too long; incorrect use of components designed to collapse on impact; excessive bump steer and so on.
http://www.monza.org.nz/temp/212_0919_07b.JPG

grangies, Oct 3, 4:17am
Check out this full chassis Nissan. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=-gzdDrelqSI&feature=related

gunhand, Oct 3, 4:50am
Have you seen a modern car with its front gaurds off!ugly as lol, and you cant really cut the back gaurds off either and make it look right as a fenderless old rod seems to.

cowlover, Oct 3, 9:00am
A 10 year old would do a better job that that.I'm guessing i wont find a review of the maker on no cowboys.

I trust you never paid for that mess.

socram, Oct 3, 8:55pm
Those of us with zero metalworking/mechanical skills are at the mercy of those who profess to know what they are doing.Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but when you take your car to an outfit that claims to know what they are doing and they in turn consult others who also claim to understand suspension design, what can I do about it!

Yes I paid, and paid dearly.The half lap joint was put in because the suspension didn't work at all as concocted by the original two.
Number 3 (who was previously employed by number 1 and not consulted), took two days (at my cost ofcourse) to get it to work at all.

Both 1 & 2 are well known figures in the trade/sport who are good in some areas, but neither seem to fully understand suspension and steering geometry.

Thankfully, it is now with someone who does understand and has impressive metalworking skills, but he wasn't around when I started this project in 2004.He will get it through the LVVT compliancing, of that I am 100% certain.

Do you think that the pic shows professionalism twink!

chebry, Oct 4, 1:20am
A Hot Rod is pre 48

twink19, Oct 4, 4:10am
like you I am not an engineer or fabricator, I rely on others to do the work

3tomany, Oct 4, 5:04am

3tomany, Oct 4, 5:05am

bill-robinson, Oct 4, 6:10am
When was that defined, and by who!

pebbles61, Oct 4, 6:13am
There are rules to Hotrods! =/

chebry, Oct 4, 6:30am
Old skool rodders many moons ago hotrods were pre 48 FORDS of course other makes came in especially here due to lack of material anything newer was a custom