Compact/medium sized SUV for towing

jojo76, Jan 23, 11:00pm
right-o, i know this is an old thread, but im going to bump it up as we still have'nt upgraded to an SUV yet, but we are now moving to the south island, we have to travel up a rough gravel road (about 1km) to get to our house and it snows in winter, so 4wd would be the best.
So we have an xr6 (2006) and a rav4 (3 door 1994).So we still have a caravan to tow on occasions. (going to get rid of both as we can't afford to run 2 vehicles)
I liked the look of the outlander 2.4l but that has the CVT gearbox which i have read is no the best for towing.So the X-trail 2.5 took my fancy 2000kg tow rating.only 9.3ltr/100km perfect!Then i found out it also has the CVT gearbox.GGRRR
The suzuki is either 2.7v6 gas guzzler or 2l that probably would tow well.
My budget has been reduced to 20k now, i would rather a later model (2006 and up) with higher KM's - must have a good service record too.
So my question really is about CVT gearboxes.are they relly that bad!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 11:20pm
CVT is not a great idea for towing IMO. You also need to buy one that has a proper changeable filter and that has been service by the book every time for them to be reliable. Basically they don't like to swim in their own filth.

If it were me with 20K doing what you are doing, I would look at a 4WD Passat or Skoda with the 2.0 Diesel engine. Then you have the 6 Speed DSG or manual which is great for towing and easily serviced at home if you wish. Running costs are more akin to a little 1.3 litre Japanese shopping basket than a biggish powerful car, service intervals are long, reliability is great and I am pretty sure most if not all will have a trailer stability program which will save your butt like nothing else if the trailer gets a sway on.

The only disadvantage is ground clearance is lower than an SUV but it should be more than fine for a gravel road and traction is fantastic even on wet grass, ice, snow, mud etc with VW's very clever 4WD technology.

There was a wagon version on here the other day I came across which would have been perfect.

How much does your caravan weigh!

ntalke, Jan 24, 4:44am
As I see it the XR6 would be better than most 4x4 anyway ,have a BF Falcon XR6 an a Maxima and the XR6 has a better turning circleplus a LSD and a ZF 6 speed auto

A diesel 4x4 would cost more to run (rego, maitainance) plus be more of a pig around town

jojo76, Jan 24, 5:10am
How would the xr6 handle gravel roads and snow though!

jojo76, Oct 2, 9:06pm
reommendation please of a medium sized suv suitbale for towning a 15ft caravan ( only gets towed 3 x year, approx 100km max each way).
As this would be a 'around town' vehicle too, nothing big.Thanks

db.price, Oct 2, 9:09pm
Why an SUV!Do you need the 4WD!Perhaps if it is going to be around town you should go for something like a Legacy or an Outback!

jojo76, Oct 2, 9:21pm
Have an XR6 at the moment, it is great to drive on the open road, but hate it on the small roads(we live rurally), and in town.
Want something that can tow when needed, hopefully be more economical than the XR6.
I answer the question above, i like the height of an SUV, but does'nt have to be 4wd, but would be handy as of our rural location.
Budget 25k max

mugenb20b, Oct 2, 11:11pm
Nothing big and has to tow something big 3 times a year! A Mazda Tribute or Suzuki Vitara come to mind. Both will be thirsty vehicles when used on short trips.

merrigj, Oct 3, 12:59am
I have a 2.0L Diesel turbo Capitva.Good on the gas and great for towing.4wd does come in handy towing when starting on slopes etc.

slarty45, Oct 3, 1:17am
My 2.4 manual Vitara tows the boat piece of piss.
Mega traction at the ramp too, the low ratio is handy when reversing.
Chews more gas towing of course 11.7 L/100 km, normally 8.5 L/100 km

monaro17, Oct 3, 1:44am
Mid to late 90s Nissan Terrano with the legendary 3.2 Turbo diesel engine. Do not touch the later 3.0 DI version nor the overly thirsty gutless petrol or underpowered 2.7 diesel. You can get an excellent 3.2 for around $13,000, they are extremely reliable and surprisingly economical, and will tow your 15ft caravan with ease. Failing that- a good Subaru Lancaster will do you well.

socram, Oct 3, 2:46am
Some may laugh, but landrover Freelander 2 diesel.Just batted up the Bombay's with the car on the trailer, slightly over the legal limit in terms of speed.

Under 10L/100km for the whole 30,000kms we have owned it (from new).

The previous Freelander also towed well, but the new one is rated much higher.

mortluby, Oct 3, 8:57am
Wife's 3L tribute isn't all that thirsty (surprised the heck out of me how economic it is), especially compared to the work Commodore or the Jeep.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 9:01am
Whats your budget!
No point in suggesting anything with out knowing that.
A Skoda Yeti 2.0 would be ideal but they are up around 40K for a used one.

a.woodrow, Oct 3, 9:30am
ahem they do mention 25k max. Will that buy them a new punto.!

asa50, Oct 3, 9:40am
For only 3x a year, consider rent ing a 4wd Hilux or similar when you need it.
Last time I got one it was $130 a day,
Make a table of how may kms you will drive normally, and look at what the costs are of owning a SUV are compared to occasional rental

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 11:24pm
Whoops I thought it was 45K for some reason, too many threads open at one time me thinks. Still there are some options for 25K, although its a bit harder to get the perfect every day car as well.