Motorbike restricted.

Page 1 / 2
watson79, Oct 8, 8:28am
Just got my restricted last month, now as 1st of October ya need to be on restricted for 18months full stop, when will these idiots get it right! Tell me this, I can do the 15 min bike test, do the computer learners licence, then go buy a Ducati monster and have no on road experience, no tell me what the point of a learners licence is apart from making money for the nzta

woodstockblu, Oct 8, 8:36am
Are you under 25! I just got my learners last month, haveint had a chance to looked at the new restricted licence for me, but did think its was only 6months! Will check on that one.

watson79, Oct 8, 8:38am
Nope am 32,

pebbles61, Oct 8, 8:39am
A Duc Monster isn't really a super powerful bike aye. the old 250cc law was a bit dated, I had my old 250 at 165km/h and it was still pulling (on the track of course). What we should really be questioning is how come cage drivers get to ride a scooter on a cage licence, but if I want to drive a cage (even a mini) I need a cage licence, how is that fair!

watson79, Oct 8, 8:43am
I have my shiny sv650s sitting in my garage, have restricted licence as of last month, hoping to wait out the 3 months to get my full then I can ride, waiting another 18months coz its not on there lams list ( yeah right)

watson79, Oct 8, 8:43am
Approved advanced driving courses

From 1 October 2012, motorcycle licence applicants are no longer able to present an approved advanced driving course certificate to reduce the minimum time requirement in the restricted licence phase.

Why has this change been made!

Advanced driving courses are classroom-based and few motorcycle-specific skills are taught, so there is less relative benefit to motorcycle riders than to car drivers.

The NZTA will be developing a motorcycle competency based training and assessment course, which will include motorcycle-specific skills. Once available, this will be the only option to reduce minimum time requirements.

Age based time reduction

From 1 October 2012, all motorcycle riders regardless of age have the same minimum time requirement of 18 months in the restricted licence phase.

This gives all riders more time to gain on-road riding experience under restricted licence conditions.

Why has this change been made!

The use of motorcycles has changed since the age distinction was introduced. Motorcycles are more likely to be used recreationally by older motorcyclists, rather than as a cheap form of transport for young people. As a result, the age profile of novice motorcyclists has changed, with the average age of a restricted motorcycle applicant now being 32.5 years old. Age-based distinctions in the motorcycle graduated driver licensing regime are no longer appropriate. All motorcyclists have a significantly higher level of risk of death or injury on the road than car drivers of the same age.

pebbles61, Oct 8, 8:47am
"Motorcycles are more likely to be used recreationally by older motorcyclists, rather than as a cheap form of transport for young people."

What a load of bollocks! far cheaper to commute on a bike than to commute in a cage.

watson79, Oct 8, 8:50am
Lol very true, I unfortunately jumped the gun and bought my bike thinking sv650s was on the list, it's the sv650su grrrr, underpowered version that nobody will buy, and pretty sure only available in Australia anyway

pebbles61, Oct 8, 8:53am
Hold in there mate!

watson79, Oct 8, 8:56am
Maybe should have bought a diff bike, I've worked out power-weight ratio plus 90kgs for rider and think my bike should be on list

woodstockblu, Oct 8, 9:01am
I found SFV650OU is on the list!

watson79, Oct 8, 9:04am
Yes the sv650su is, I own the sv650s, two completely different set ups and power unfortunately

woodstockblu, Oct 8, 9:04am
And SV650SU also on the list!

watson79, Oct 8, 9:06am
Yep the U at the end means underpowered version

woodstockblu, Oct 8, 9:07am
As it says if you are unsure ring the NZTA and find out. Surely yours is up there on the list.whats the diff between them!

watson79, Oct 8, 9:07am
Have learnt all this after buying dam it

watson79, Oct 8, 9:07am
The s is the sports version the su is an underpowered version

bitsy_boffin, Oct 8, 9:11am
The list model codes are *specific* if you have a bike and it's model code is even slightly different from the one listed, then it's not approved.

The reason it's not approved is usually that nobody has filed the paperwork to get it approved.

But in some cases, like this one, one variant of a model is low powered(made specially for learners) while another variant of the model is not.

pebbles61, Oct 8, 9:15am
I'd imagine the one on the list is the restricted version, where as the OP has bought a normal one. I donno why they didn't make the system like the UK where you can own any bike as long as it's restricted.

woodstockblu, Oct 8, 9:16am
Thank you for that :-)

I am only just learning about motorbikes.hense just got my L Plate lol. my brain is just being a sponge :-)

watson79, Oct 8, 9:17am
Yep I agree with Peebles, my bike is restricted to 75hp full noise, goes well but hardly a race machine

pebbles61, Oct 8, 9:18am
75HP, damn that's more than mine lol.

watson79, Oct 8, 9:21am
Lol a step up from my vtr250 with a whopping 32 hp. Sum thing else to think about. My 75 hp sv650s is same rego price as my mates 210hp zx12r I guess that makes total sense Not. Why don't we register the rider instead of the bikes, I have 3 bikes, 3 regos yet I can only ride ne at a time

pebbles61, Oct 8, 9:24am
Simple mate, that knob rash nick smith said straight up that it's because he reckons people who own 600cc+ bikes earn more and thus should pay more.such a fair system.

watson79, Oct 8, 9:26am
Hmmm and they wonder why people don't bother with licences, rego, and insurance, yep pack of knobs.