New bumper - paint job bubbling up/flaking off

sjm17, Oct 8, 4:04am
We had some crash damage repaired 1 year ago.We got a new bumper, new light and some minor panelling.I've just noticed that the paint is bubbling up and flaking off in a major way around some minor scratches and stone chips on the bumper.Whole sections of the bumper now have no paint at all.None of the paint on the rest of the car reacts this way to scratches/stone chips.What would cause this!Could they have used a cheap bumper material, or cheap paint, or would it have just been a crap job of painting it!TIA.

gunhand, Oct 8, 4:08am
It probably wasnt prepped properlyin the first place. There is correct ways of painting new plastics, assuming it was new new, not 2nd hand new.

jason18, Oct 8, 6:58am
Sounds like they didn't rough the plastic then plastic etch it. I did a plastic bumper a while ago for wifes friend. Used an etch made for plastic and that thing takes a beating on gravel roads and still looks mint

gammelvind, Oct 8, 7:03am
Guessing no plastic prime used or adhesion promoter. Take it back to the paint shop and talk to them politely about there appears to be a fault in the paint. You may be pleasantly surprised that they may fix it or come to an arrangement that suits you both. No harm in asking.

ceebee2, Oct 8, 7:16am
I have resprayed many new / second hand bumpers and never had a problem.obviously a cheap spray n pray job. They haven't used the correct plastic etch primer and more importantly haven't sanded the primer the new ones come with correctly OR used cheap crap paint.

rob_man, Oct 8, 7:19am
Do you do everything twice!

motorboy2011, Oct 8, 7:46am
I do, but only one night a week

sjm17, Oct 8, 9:35am
Thanks very much all!