New Suzuki petrol or diesel

Page 2 / 3
thejazzpianoma, Oct 14, 10:43pm
Or you could just look at the much more accurate figures I quoted.

Clearly you havn't even bothered to read the original post properly which actually tells you how many km's are traveled, let alone the ones where I took the time and actually worked out the maths for them.

Instead you just came in to beat your chest and confuse everyone with your uninformed nonsense based on a few articles you have read about the Suzuki and some old wives tales.

chebry, Oct 14, 10:48pm
The beauty of a diesel is the torque curve that means constant gearshifting is unneccessary You really dont know how to drive a diesel do you jazz ,revs are a waste of fuel

thejazzpianoma, Oct 14, 10:51pm
Yeah, nah what would I know, I only own one married to a 6 speed automated gearbox specifically matched to that engine. The computer changes just as much as I do if I drive it manually.

Those that actually know these engines (like I don't know, perhaps someone who maybe OWNS one) are very aware of the short powerband of this engine and its tendancy to fall off boost (although the very new remap improves that somewhat).

This is not some big capacity diesel lump that can be dealt with using minimal gear changes. Why you would choose one over a Polo DSG completely escapes me.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 14, 11:03pm
This is just an out dated generalisation and simply not true here. CVT's will give you economy, but if it has no filter it likely won't last. The DSG will give you better economy than a manual AND most of the reliability and low maintenance of one as well.

When facing 30'000km a year with a 1.3 Diesel wearing a big turbo to extract its power serious consideration should be given towards the transmission situation. Sure the Suzuki may not have an auto option, but its another reason to consider the Polo with the fantastic 7 speed DSG.

Again, I say this owning a car with that 1.3 Diesel. I say this having had several DSG's in the family. I say this as a big fan of a good manual transmission as well (and I currently own several cars with those too).

thejazzpianoma, Oct 14, 11:13pm
Sigh. you suggest something Fiat, they complain, you suggest someone doesn't buy something Fiat powered, they complain.

What can you do.

robotnik, Oct 14, 11:14pm
The VW with DSG probably is better, but this is New Zealand where everyone is super conservative, so I bet OP gets the Swift anyway.

chebry, Oct 14, 11:17pm
I guess compared to your vw bombs my 90hp 1905 turbo diesel must seen like a powerhouse but as I repeat to get good fuel efficiency torque is required not revs and if your fancy dsg is switching gears constantly that is not an efficient driving method and as you admit you cant drive a diesel you have an automatic,,,,,,sad

thejazzpianoma, Oct 14, 11:22pm
Wow, you really don't have the faintest clue do you.The diesel in question is a FIAT diesel not a VW, the transmission driving the FIAT diesel is a FIAT DUALOGIC, its the PETROL VW that has the DSG.

You really have no idea about small common rail diesels with variable geometry turbo's. Fiat make larger more lazy Diesels too, in fact, they effectively invented the modern Diesel.

Perhaps you should go and tell the drivers of Deisel trucks that they can travel more efficiently if they don't change gear as much. even better why not tell them to fit a 5 speed transmission. Its the same situation (although less exaggerated) with the 1.3 Multijet, it has a fairly small usable rev range, you need to change gears often just like you do with most small engined cars.

countrypete, Oct 14, 11:25pm
Bunny 2121 you have probably figured by now that thejazzpianoma has a very specific agenda biased toward VW, and anyone who disagrees or proves him wrong is immediately called a troll, uninformed, or abused.He seems to hate anything actually popular such as Toyotas, Suzukis etc.

But, the answer to you question, again, is that the differences between the Swift Sport and the diesel, in terms of running costs are probably marginal, and which is best for you will depend on what you like when you drive them both.Having said that,the diesel is getting good write-ups in lots of press reports, although I am yet to drive one. The Swift sport though, I have driven, and it's a cracker!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 14, 11:27pm
Still ignoring the actual figures I posted I see. I am not sure I would call approx 25% more to run "marginal".

Funny how I have a "Fiat agenda" when I suggest those.

Yes, anything popular is bad. it has nothing to do with it not being as efficient, well specified, or not being as nice to drive.

splinter67, Oct 14, 11:29pm
Buy a holden lol

thejazzpianoma, Oct 14, 11:31pm
May as well. I give up. The trolls can have this thread now.

splinter67, Oct 14, 11:33pm
Ya might like it ya never know

bunny2121, Oct 14, 11:38pm
Thats what im trying to replace. I love the Holden but wallet and fuel bill disagree.

chebry, Oct 14, 11:39pm
I drive trucks for a crust of course you change gear as little as possible youve just given good reasons not to buy a baby fiat diesel.

robotnik, Oct 14, 11:41pm
Maybe he should as General Motors common rail diesel engines are pretty good these days.

djrandomguy, Oct 15, 12:08am
Top Gear Mag NZ recently did a 3 way comparison, Polo, Swift & i30 -results went the way of the VW, this was because it's purchase price was so close to the swift and it's lot's more car for the cash.Even though they are outmoded and right out of touch with our clean green image, you do get used to RUC's and not stopping at the pump all the time, we recently added a 1.6 petrol to our fleet and it's amazing how much less efficent it is than an HDi unit. #justsayin

splinter67, Oct 15, 12:21am
How about lpg or is it time to replace the holden

countrypete, Oct 15, 12:28am
I think that test may have been the petrol variants.The diesel is a different kettle of fish.Another point not touched on is the dealer;I understand the Christchurch Suzuki dealer offers free servicing for at least part of the car's life, so that needs to be factored into costs.Add in the difference in resale between the two brands, and the Suzuki will always be lower cost overall.

slarty45, Oct 15, 12:42am
is a troll someone who posts the most!
goes on and on and on!
and also a one eyed salesman!

djrandomguy, Oct 15, 12:47am
trolls drive toyotas so no one will notice them .

slarty45, Oct 15, 3:45am
Journalist Donn Anderson drove a Swift diesel around NZ.
He travelled 1205 km on a tank full (Suzuki claim 800 km per tank)

Auckland to Wellington 21.25 litres
@ $1.60 litre = $34
+ RUC $28.80
= $62.80

The sooner the RUC is scrapped for cars the better.

countrypete, Oct 15, 4:15am
Donn Anderson is an absolute master of driving economically.I don't think many people would get anywhere near what he gets.I seem to recall that he won some economy run around the UK a few years back in (Peugeot!) diesel.

But whatever, small diesel cars are VERY economical, fuel-wise.Servicing costs are higher though.

msigg, Oct 15, 4:42am
bunny2121, take the two car for a test drive first, Alot of the courier companies are driving the suzuki, so thats a good recommendation, They look great too, the polo looks a bit cheaper to me , but thats my opinion, everyone I've spoken to and ask about their suzuki, they all say they love it, But you have to drive them first, 30,000km is alot of driving, take the diesel for a drive then the petrol.Good luck.

luxy, Oct 15, 5:19am
We have just bought a new swift, petrol,manual with body kit. What a great little car