Hot rod/rat rod

randr205, Oct 14, 12:00am
Ok so I am new to the hot/rod seen, but have been into cars my whole life. Started out with mini??

hydraline, Oct 14, 12:44am
Sorry but you are very sick and need to talk to someone with some sense. Anything with a japper motor in it will never be a rod! Best you save up and take your time looking further out in the countryside for better basics like a real chassis and engine made in a real country by non foreigners

randr205, Oct 14, 1:07am
But hydraline, I think you have missed my point I never said it will be a real "rod". Anyway man jap motors can do alot more than run log splitter :)

sr2, Oct 14, 1:27am
Sounds like a great project to me; it??

jason18, Oct 14, 1:52am
So a toyota v8 cant be fitted. You are what is wrong with the hot rod community

jason18, Oct 14, 1:54am
Go for it man. Those little hemi toyota motors go bloody well if you can find one and fit in alot of cars.

trader_84, Oct 14, 2:05am
randr . don't worry what anyone here says in terms of it not being a real rod - f**k them. In terms of good sized, strong, modern 2WD chassis selection - kiwi's are blessed. Any of the 80's - 90's Jap utes can be had for reasonable coin if you bide your time. Its all about stance, colour and perception, aye! They all had good brakes, steering and geometry . the factory spent millions getting it right. Heaps better than what the yanks fronted with from the 40's etc and heaps cheaper and more readily available. Heaps of matt and not too much variance in colour seems to be the rule of thumb. As does fitting an old cab such as an old Ford or something . but BS aye! The fun part goes straight out the door when you discover the $$$ people are asking for their Ford bonus cabs etc. Early Bedfords, Thames, Morris's and Internationals etc . they all look cool and old timey - and are around and cheaper than the Ford if you take your time. Do it man. Oh yeah . but first thing . speak to a certifyer and run pass him what you want to get up to.

hotrodtodd1, Oct 14, 2:16am
Assuming you arent just trying to wind us "traditional hot rodders" up, I would suggest that you start by going to the NZHRA website and order yourself a copy of the Hobby Car Manual, as you will need it if you want to build a car/truck thats street legal.

Then read it thru and make your plans after that.

The Jappa chassis' are a viable option to an old Ford/Chev/Mopar ones, but I would suggest, best hidden under a fully fendered truck.

randr205, Oct 14, 3:46am
Cheers guys for the support, have any of you checked out www.youtube.com/watch!-v=C_jUk8_Tzlc if so what did you think!

randr205, Oct 14, 3:48am
opps for some reason looks like I got the link wrong, go to youtube and search mazda b2000 hot rod

cuda.340, Oct 14, 4:12am
the other day i found a wrap that looks like worn out faded paint with the brown rusting coming thru. wrap your daily driver in that, slap on some plain steel rims with dia of choice, custom make seat covers that look like they've been trashed by the dog & you have a wof n regoble modern rat rod.

chebry, Oct 14, 4:38am
Where was this wrap sounds perfect for my Hillman barn find paint job!

johnf_456, Oct 14, 6:29am
Op do what you think is right ignore the ones that say it has to be American based etc. Be original don't just go with the crowd