WOW! Falcon fuel economy!

Page 1 / 2
tup, Oct 11, 12:46am
I've only ever had old skool Coons. but recently traded my 3litre petrol surf for a 2001 Falcon.Just clocked 291km on $40 gas. this works out approximately 6 litres/100km!This seems pretty unheard of to me!all openroad driving but I'm not a nana driver. pass when needing to etc.The onboard computer has certainly changed my driving style though as I prefer to see the DTE kms going up rather than down.:)Have I worked those calculations right as it seems almost too good to be true! or is this standard with the newer falcons!

fiatracer, Oct 11, 12:52am
you haven't provided the right measurements for us to determine - any discussion on fuel ecnomy needs to include the two most important numbers - km/miles covered on litres/gallons of fuel

tup, Oct 11, 12:53am
$40 @ $2.17 a litre. 291km.

tup, Oct 11, 12:55am
approx 18 litres!divide that by 291 it's just over 6.3 litres/100km!

pauloc, Oct 11, 1:32am
So you had the car on absolute empty, put in $40 ran the car to empty and came up with the calculation or was the car fiil to top of tank ran it for 291 kms then filled the car up and came up with that number!

fiatracer, Oct 11, 1:33am
yep, price per litre was the missing variable. Not meaning to be picky, well guess I was, but there's lots of "my car is really economical, $25 lasts me a week" type comments on here.

tup, Oct 11, 1:37am
did it from my DTE. drove it down to 40km distance to empty. which i've gotten it down to three times and done the same thing and got the same result. (or close to). then drove it to the 40km DTE again.

kwaka5, Oct 11, 2:02am
I would find that hard to believe. Love it if it did but what you need to do is fill it to the brim. Drive it. record the distance and fill it to the brim again. I have a 07 fairmont ghia and can get 7.6 on a long range trip as in to hamilton and back from Taihape.

heavydee, Oct 11, 2:04am
You need to fill the tank, reset your trip counter and drive a set number of kms, 200 or so.Then fill up again, paying attention to how many litres is required to fill it up. This way you know exactly how many litres you burned for whatever distance you've covered.

monaro17, Oct 11, 2:08am
Yes I agree. I have a VE commodore with the full trip computer read out and the distance until empty (as I'm sure it is in the Falcons) is measured at the current driving speed and driver behaviour. So any slight change in the driving habits will alter the distance till empty. The only way to do a properly accurate test is to fill right up then drive until nearly empty then fill back up up and do your measurements from there.

fiatracer, Oct 11, 2:14am
Either way, anything under 8.5km/100l is pretty good I reckon. My 4 litre Jag gets a smidgeon under 30mpg on a trip. My BMW, irritatingly, reads in km/l not l/100km

monaro17, Oct 11, 2:21am
The best I have got with my VE commodore is ironically with 4 adults in the car and luggage. It was on a trip from chch to hanmer with cruise set at around 110 (seems to be the most economical speed)7.2L/100km (39mpg). I was really happy with that considering I wasn't sitting around on the passing lanes. Normally it uses around 7.6

jason18, Oct 11, 2:36am
Best I get out of my 99 AU Wagon is 9l/100km, Most of the time its sitting 16-18l/100kms

monaro17, Oct 11, 2:46am
whoops. normally 7.6 on a long trip that is not around town that is more like 12-13

clairbell, Oct 11, 3:04am
I'd say the computer calculating the fuel economy is buggered

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 3:09am
Pfffffft. wake me when you can beat my 3.6l/100km on the open road.

tup, Oct 11, 4:45am
that's what i thought. thanks guys. seemed too good to be true.:) will do the fill up test.:)

pebbles61, Oct 11, 5:05am
I think the Wolseley gets 12l/100km for 'combined' driving _b

trouser, Oct 11, 5:17am
Just took my au3 xr6 vct manual from Auckland to Marton and back. Filling to overflow in AK and at Marton, 520ks used 42l. On the way back 524ks used 40l.

Thats with 2 adults and 3 children and a full boot too.

Pretty good for a big old coon with 200,000ks on board.

monaro17, Oct 11, 5:27am
Unsure what you drive but I bet my commodore is far more comfortable for 5 adults to travel in ;)

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 5:40am
I was actually just stirring the pot, its not even a petrol. It's an 07 Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet.

Your Commodore would be more comfortable when loaded on a trip, although depending on the year/value of yoru Commodore it may have some comfortable Euro Diesel alternatives that also offer amazing economy.

Even the Passat 2.0 T FSI Petrol rattles a few cages.

monaro17, Oct 11, 5:43am
haha I knew you were.
Mine is a 2007. I would love a nice euro diesel, especially an X5 or ML- however I dont have $60,000+++ to spend, so for now (until hopefully 8pm Saturday night) the Commodore will have to do

morrisman1, Oct 11, 5:44am
I dont believe the figures tup. Although the intention may be there and genuine I think theres a stuff up in how it has been done. Only real accurate way is to fill to brim, then drive and refill to brim. The more you run the tank down the more accurate it will be as pump shutoff times will become less of a factor.

6's is too low for a coon, 7's seem to be possible with a gentle driver

splinter67, Oct 11, 5:45am
You should try a big block chev then it dosent mater what you drive its economical

splinter67, Oct 11, 5:47am
If ya win lotto ya wont need to worry about economy just brute horsepower