Late model Toyota Highlander or XC90 Volvo?

chakendrick, Oct 19, 8:48pm
and why, please!

gingercrush, Oct 19, 8:51pm
Volvo. DP has the XC60 2010. OMG it is gorgeous.

the-lada-dude, Oct 19, 9:12pm
RESALE VALUE.& you live in nz where there are F.KALL volvos and plenty of toyota parts i have no idea what one costs v the other but when the flag drops the bullshit stops, i don't care how cleaver the ' EUROPEAN ' design is in 5 years time your volvo will be down to 25 % its value and if it brakes in between that time F. MEyou may as well throw it away, or have your arm and leg surgically removed, cause thats what its gunna cost to fix !

thejazzpianoma, Oct 19, 9:17pm
What year and budget are we talking about here!

Budget is everything, the ONLY reason to buy a Highlander is resale value and that actually only kicks in at fairly specific age points. Go a bit older and the Highlanders resale value will actually work against you.

As a car, the Highlander is generally grossly over priced and over hyped. Its very out of date and under featured, if you are thinking diesel Toyota's late model Diesels are some of the worst on the market for reliability, let alone efficiency and service requirements. You can't count on the supposed "Toyota Reliability" that people somehow think automatically applies to all Toyota's because it applies to the spartan 15 years behind the game Corolla.

Cheap parts are pretty much a Myth too, anything that is not a mainstream part (like the poorly made central locking mechanisms on these, can be absurd money).

So, come back to us with a specific budget diesel/petrol preference etc and we can probably fill you in on the economics of the situation.

As a car, the Volvo is significantly better, as are its other European cousin's the Mercedes, BMW and Mercedes offerings. You only have to drive them and compare the spec sheets to see that. But that's to be expected when at some price points secondhand you are buying a car that was over twice as much new for the same price as a Highlander.

Plus you have to consider the Highlander was probably over priced new for what you are getting to begin with as well which tips the math even further in the Volvo and friends direction.

The hard part though is wading through the many chest beating knuckle draggers that infest our motor industry who will try and conjure up any myth, half truth or legend they can to heckle any non-Japanese brand. Why do they do it! Simply because our entire used car industry revolves around used Japanese imports and the nonsense told to sell them has infested the industry at large. Also, a lot of the people who drive Highlanders are stuck in the past, because they refuse to even consider anything else on the market they have no idea just how much the rest of the industry has left Toyota behind.

Happy Shopping.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 19, 9:22pm
With regard to parts, yes non regular service parts for the Volvo will be a bit pricy (although I have found the Highlander ones to be quite dear as well).

Realistically though if you are thinking in terms of 30 - 40K or more budget if you spend a few hundred (or even a thousand or two, which is highly unlikely) extra on parts over the course of your ownership its hardly going to feature as a cost against fuel, depreciation etc.

If parts prices really do bother you, go for a VW, BMW, Mercedes equivalent. Those makes have lots of third party genuine parts importers in this country so their parts are more reasonable.

The key thing with this exercise is "TO ACTUALLY DO THE MATH" so many people will throw generalisations at you its not going to be funny. Many of these generalisations will be quite wrong, so its very important to actually grab the calculator.

As an example you will hear a lot about parts prices and likely very little about fuel economy. The latter could be a much greater cost difference depending on engine choices etc.

usdefault, Oct 19, 9:30pm
Go the Volvo on this one.

If you are getting a late model car you probably aren't hard up cash wise.

The Volvo will be a much more rewarding car to own and drive.

carstauranga001, Oct 19, 9:51pm
Did about 750 kms in a rental 2012 Highlander in the south island last week. Came away very impressed. If I were in the market for such a car I wouldn't even concider a Volvo.

bwg11, Oct 20, 2:30am
To the OP - How much the above poster knows about Highlanders is illustrated by the above - there is not and never has been a diesel Highlander, so please don't be put off a Highlander. Personally, I'm not crazy about their styling, but they drive well and are most reliable.

serf407, Oct 20, 4:19am
Poster you do not say what you will using the vehicle for and how you will be using it.
Have a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe - it might need after market seats if you have a NZ XL frame to be comfortable.
Remember the diesel needs to be clean for the common rail diesel engine and servicing intervals need to be observed.
Petrol Santa Fe versions also.

msigg, Oct 20, 4:24am
The highlander is a great machine, for the rough stuff it will last. The volve may slightly cheaper to run but maintenance cost will be more expensive and depreciation will be huge. Good luck. Take them both for a drive.

gadgit3, Oct 20, 6:52pm
Jazz sometimes I think you base your argument on a 15 year old corolla. there's no such thing as a diesel highlander. They are a 3.5l v6 in the later models a d I would like to know what servicing parts you have come across that were expensive! I think you need to take one for a drive before commenting on features also.

r15, Oct 21, 7:59pm
The late model does have a diesel option.

Jazz always says toyota diesels are unreliable but you never see them on the side of the road with the bonnet up

grangies, Oct 21, 8:32pm

chebry, Oct 21, 8:42pm
The Highlander is a Camry with a lift kit the Volvo was actually designed like it is from scratch Id take the Volvo for a spin but remember both these cars are for the fat lazy US market where gas is cheap

boojum, Oct 21, 11:53pm
Not in NZ it doesn't

phillip.weston, Oct 22, 1:57am
The XC90 is an S80 with a lift kit - no different to the Highlander being a Camry with a lift kit.

To be honest I would take the XC90 though - the Highlander is just. urgh.

gadgit3, Oct 22, 9:20am
Lol is that so. a diesel option you say. well I better have a word to the salesman at work then cause when ever a coustomer comes in asking if the highlander comes in diesel the reply no. where can we find said diesel otioned highlander!
Because toyota nz can't surply the dealers

chakendrick, Nov 26, 3:39am
I asked this question back in October and then held our car for another month. I am still considering options and would appreciate a bit more input. The Volvo, I understand is harder on petrol than the Highlander.
Looking at about 2007 - 2010 about $30,000 give or take, probably give.
What kind of mileage should I expect from each before it starts costing lots of $$$. Do they have cambelts that need replacing at ! kms! As for what I do with my car, drive it and enjoy it. I dont 4WD but like the option to get me out of trouble (yes I know they use more fuel) and I like bigger higher vehicles. Thank you for your opinions.

andy61, Nov 26, 5:02am
Youwant to be careful which Volvo you buy, some of them have a design fault with the gearbox,which is big dollars to fix.Google Volvo gearboxes ,something should come up.

chakendrick, Nov 26, 6:55am
Thank you, does anyone else have anything further to add. All informed advice greatfully received.