2K paint - not suitable for the DIYer?

Page 1 / 2
hoarder85, Nov 1, 9:44am
just reading up about paint options (need to do a couple of bumpers, possibly looking at doing the whole car) and it seems that 2k is the best paint to use, but quite dangerous to your health if not sprayed in a suitable location with an extractor fan/air mask etc.

Thoughts on this! If 2k isn't the way to go, what are the alternatives and will they last as long!

trogedon, Nov 1, 9:49am
Much is I'm mega careful re my health.if you've got a good quality (charcoal filters etc) mask and lots of fresh air and you're only doing one car.you should be fine.

suplyuparts, Nov 1, 9:53am
we painted my engine bay with 2k out in the driveway saturday just gone.turned out mint.

suplyuparts, Nov 1, 9:54am
its all in the prep work too.

ginga4lyfe, Nov 1, 10:17am
you should be fine with 2k, just be careful to have the right mask and eye protection, and be really picky with the prepwork, and make sure the surface is 100% wax and dust free before you paint, and the work will be fine, the worst that could happen is that you could end up fish eyeing or orange-peeling the paintwork health wise though. I have never found out the hard way. yet.

grangies, Nov 1, 7:23pm
x1
Make sure your spray gun is not too big, as 2k colours are designed to be sprayed through a 1.3 - 1.6mm nozzle.

Anything over 1.6mm can cause overloading, and nasty runs if you are inexperienced.

When you buy the paint also ask for a material data sheet and follow the instructions. Especially the (flash-off) drying times between coats.

In Tauranga the people at Versatile Products are good paint suppliers with helpfull staff.

attitudedesignz, Nov 1, 9:57pm
You of all people should know 2 pack (specifically any isocyanate hardners) isn't allowed to be sold to the general public.

attitudedesignz, Nov 1, 10:02pm
Also "2K" is a trademark of PPG, but everyone uses it as a general 'coverall' for 2 pack products.

mm12345, Nov 1, 10:25pm
The general public can buy 2 pack urethane marine paints, and the hardener is exactly the same as used in "2K" auto paints.(Desmodur N series).If "2K" paints aren't available to the general public, then it's probably a marketing decision, not a legal situation.
You can even buy other isocyanates still labelled as "Desmodur", such as Desmodur R series, used as a hardener in adhesives.
The commonly used isocyanate that's probably not a great idea for the general public to muck around with is TDI, used for polyurethane foams.
The Desmodur (and equivalent) paint grade polyisocyanates are thin film vacuum distilled to remove as much free isocyanate (hexamethylenediisocyanate) monomer as possible.
But some people can still become sensitised to them from exposure, to the point that they'll go into anaphylaxis on contact with a tiny trace.Not good for business if you're a car painter - you'd need to find another job.
But some people have the same reaction to peanuts, and so far they haven't restricted sale of peanuts to the general public.

bitsy_boffin, Nov 1, 10:35pm
Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but where is that legislated!I couldn't find reference in a google, or in the NZ legislation search (no results for isocyanate, or two pack, or even just paint).

gunhand, Nov 2, 4:51am
Well, it used to be on the tins LOL, not for sale (or was it for use) to general public.And I dont think one spray of a car will kill ya, Will make you feel sick if you dont wear a mask though. And if you do it in a super warm enviroment its real hard on ya real quick.

rob_man, Nov 2, 4:54am
To the best of my knowledge there are no restrictions on 2 pack paints but I have heard rumours that a certain supplier of mixing rooms who is also a consultant to OSH has been agitating for a licencing regime to be introduced.
Main requirement would be a mixing room of course.

mm12345, Nov 2, 5:52am
Mixing it really isn't the problem.Inhaling, or skin contact with the vapours is.
I despise these damned regulatory committees loaded with "industry experts" who seek to use their influence to feather their own beds.If this goes further, ping me and I'll send in a submission against such a change.

mottly, Nov 2, 5:55am
We've used dulon on our old car - mostly because it dries alot quicker, and IMO leaves a much better finish for a 'homer' on an old car. *waits for the slagging* lol

franc123, Nov 2, 6:04am
No slagging from me, it might be old tech but lacquer works fine, been using it for years myself.

gammelvind, Nov 2, 7:28am
Sometimes I wonder at the huge facination with 2K paints over the likes of Dulon (laquer) for the home user. If you have access to a heated booth or controlled area then the finish from 2K coupled with the "off the gun" gloss are great. The downside are the obvious safety issues, drying times plus metallics don't work properly or aren't available.
Dulon for the homer is great, quick drying and basic safety is all that is required. Downside it needs a decent amount of buffing to gloss.
Cars were laquer painted from about the 50's through to the 80's, so it isn't a bad paint and could likely last as long as any 2K paint.
Paul at Autolink in 4th Ave Tauranga really knows his stuff about paints, both 2K and Dulon.

grangies, Nov 2, 7:54am
LOL. Since when.!

And why me! Of all people!

Anyone can buy any 2K product in NZ. As long as they pay there are NO restrictions whatsoever.

rob_man, Nov 2, 8:01am
I realise the mixing room is not much of an issue for 2 pack but the moves afoot would make it illegal to sell such materials to anybody not licenced to store or handle them. Cunning bastards eh!

trogedon, Nov 2, 8:07am
There goes colour matching in Nightclubs then.

rob_man, Nov 2, 8:11am
Yep, I have been around for the nitrocellulose era followed by the miracle of acrylic lacquer which was Dulon, the material that held its gloss and didn't fade like the old Duco did.
Then lo and behold. baked acrylic enamel just like the factory.
Every time there is a new material developed the manufacturers have the task of stopping their customers from continuing the love affair with the old one, which was the greatest thing since sliced bread until it wasn't. The paint makers must turn us against the old system so we will willingly embrace the new one, this they do by telling us how inferior the system we have been doing very nicely with is and disparage any who insist on sticking with it to the bitter end.

trogedon, Nov 2, 6:54pm
You've just blurted out the secret of half of capitalism.

hoarder85, Nov 2, 9:50pm
Thanks for the info. Will probably paint outside in a cheap gazebo or something similar.

Will visit autolink and have a chat to Paul :)

rsr72, Nov 2, 10:18pm
#1- Hard to go wrong if using two-packbase-coat clear-coat paint.
Spray quickly, two/three, or more, thinned base coats, allowing short tack-off times between coats (note instructions), finishing with two/three thinned clears if required.-add a flex agent also if needed on bumpers. Keep dust away by hanging sheets etc. around work area.
As others say, wear a good mask and eye protection.

mottly, Nov 2, 10:28pm
wow - shocked nobody was anti dulon - the sanding is the only hassel.but if you're painting outside, it minimizes dust or hair, bugs etc sticking to your paint, as it's touch dry in about a minute.But then many painters have told me 'orange peel is good' lol.you know you've put a good amount of paint on :)

trogedon, Jan 24, 4:15pm
x1
If dust, bugs etc stick to 2k they can be sanded / polished out too. It's just about technique and patience.