Outback H6 3.0 fuel economy

shotgunkid, Oct 22, 9:16pm
Can anyone advise what fuel economy they are getting from the H6, looking at a 2004 model, got a 2.5l now and looking at upgrading for towing. Tks

carstauranga001, Oct 22, 9:37pm
I have owned both. Sorry can't quote figures but really didn't notice much difference economy wise. I would recomend the 3 litre. They don't have the front of engine oil seal problems of the four cylinder as they have a camchain which is fully encased in metal of coarse. Obviousely you then aviod the costly cambelt replacement too.

noswalg, Oct 22, 9:40pm
Not sure about the 04 but my 02 model can do between 550 and 600 kms to a tank on open road, all depends on how you drive. I think the tank is 60L (never filled from dead empty so only a guess) About 550kms around town, the 04 model has got 20KW more power than mine and variable valve timing so consumption may be slightly better

chebry, Oct 22, 9:44pm
Spoken like true white shoe you avoid costly cambelt changes but not camchain replacements which of course are so cheep

noswalg, Oct 22, 10:00pm
And at what milage / age does a chain need to be replaced!

splinter67, Oct 22, 10:22pm
noswalg wrote:
And at what milage / age does a chain need to be replaced!

Ask mechnificant he can diagnose cars without seeing or hearing them

carstauranga001, Oct 22, 10:31pm
What a stupid thing to say. I have seen these cars at 300,000km and still on original camchain, try that with a cambelt. BTW, I don't wear white shoes unless out running dork. I guess you think all car dealers wear gold chains too. Well hello, welcome to 2012 where most of us are running honest businesses making an honest buck. And working far more hours a week than you I bet. What is your chosen line of work so we can put a negitive spin on that!

Edit, you can't be too bad a bloke with that name though. LOL.

flack88, Oct 23, 12:31am
Have heard that the h6 has a waterpump driven by the chain!is the water pump not a consumable item,wonder what that entails to change/!

chebry, Oct 23, 1:17am
Ask white shoes hes the expert Im just the mug who remembers what a PITA cam chains can be if they jump a tooth or break or wear signifigantly makes you realise what a great idea a toothed belt really was

chebry, Oct 23, 1:20am
Youve sold some of these things at 300k by telling the punter its got a chain driven cam not a belt well done WS Arthur Daly would be proud.

carstauranga001, Oct 23, 1:23am
Ha Ha, I don't sell 300 km old shit here.

chebry, Oct 23, 1:28am
You should I had a Subaru with 340,000kmsit ran beautifully used no oil plenty of gas but for the cmileage it was a good car

lookoutas, Oct 23, 5:27am
I was told by zeph that the H6 does stuff out water pumps, and it's not a cheap job.
But hey - I ignored him. Brought one, and I like it.
Much more economical than the TT, but I probably don't drive it as quick. Mainly coz the TT's go quick very easy. "With a grin"

zephyrheaven, Oct 23, 6:58am
Towing! Have you seen how long the crank is! lol

the-saint1, Oct 23, 9:25am
My 01 Outback does 10km to the litre on average, driving it 'normally' if there is such a thing lol

outbidyou2, Oct 23, 9:32am
H6 = no boost = no fun.

edit* sorry no real help from me

ryanm2, Oct 23, 6:02pm
we currently have a year 2000 H6 lancaster. With about town drivng only, and a lot of cold starts and short runs we got about 440km to the tank which we are happy with as I held off buying one due to fuel concerns.
Tank i think is 55litres as when we have filled up its always around the 52/53 litre mark.
Beautiful car to drive, every mod con expect, they feel bloody solid. We bought ours with 220km on the clock but paid stuff all for it so not to concerned if it throws a hissy fit, would buy another with less kms for sure.
I wouldn't bother with the 2.5.

tazcsv, Oct 23, 10:52pm
Those figures make my gtb tt look really good.

lookoutas, Oct 24, 4:53am
Has the crank got a towing eye on it!

How did ya OS trip go mate!
I felt stink coz I didn't offer my car, but I thought a request for an RX7 sorta put me way out left-field.
But it pissed down, so I was happy to leave my car tucked up inside.

jmandjn, Oct 25, 6:27am
Our H6 does 12.6 litres / 100km stop start town driving and on long trips eg CHCH to Dunedin it does 9 litres / 100km. Tows our tandem trailer with 2 ATVS really well seems to have plenty of power.

zephyrheaven, Oct 25, 6:54am
\

Just quietly - unless one of em dies, I wont be over the ditch again while my anus points south
Palmy was a nice break for an overnighter however - lovely place, everyone smiling & bustling - my bubble level for eyes couldnt believe all the straight buildings!
Tangiwai was cool, creek was full of lake overflow which brought it all home I have read about that disaster since I was wee & the army museum well.