Goliath pics with new paint (trog did ask)

Page 1 / 2
whqqsh, Oct 31, 4:53am
still not as deep red as Id like but at least it isnt the light red/pink that was showing when in bright sunlight when we got the first batch (supposed to be 'Raspberry' & is/was in darker light)

cowboy110, Oct 31, 4:57am
Looks pretty sharp whqqsh!

trogedon, Oct 31, 5:02am
It just looks like a fish to me.or am I missing something!!

trogedon, Oct 31, 5:03am
Ahhh.that's better. It's great. The two tone really shows off the lines well. Bet you, ok, the car, gets lots of looks.

cowboy110, Oct 31, 5:14am
That's pretty cool whqqsh.I've just had to do a bit of "googling" cos I've never seen one before.So it's a Borgward or a Goliath!What year!What's with the right hand drive!Come on fill us in.

whqqsh, Oct 31, 5:24am
its a Goliath (made by Borgward) & its RHD, column change 4 speed. Motor is horizontally opposed water cooled like early Subaru (apparently they took the design directly when starting up), FWD, I beam rear end front suspension is transverse spring . lots of interesting bits :)

whqqsh, Oct 31, 5:26am
oh & no labels on any switches or knobs on the dash, apparently Carl Borgward reckoned "if you are stupid enough to not read the manual then you shouldnt be driving one of my cars" . love the attitude!

gooddealz2, Oct 31, 5:49am
Very nice car.My parents had a Borgward Isabella when I was young and always had a bit of a soft spot for them but your Goliath is even rarer here.

trogedon, Oct 31, 5:49am
Borgward were regarded as up market cars in their day. There was an original Isabella on the side of the road in Dunedin (near where I lived) for many years. I could've bought it.and done nothing about it!

nathanmac, Oct 31, 5:52am
Hey I think I saw one similar (different grille maybe) in the Wanaka museum a couple of weeks ago.Had never seen one before, can't be too many of these left! Then again there probably wasn't many for a start either!

Don't think I got a photo of it but it was blue/grey from memory.

gooddealz2, Oct 31, 7:42am
1958 Goliath 1100 according to website.No photo's on there and I've checked mine and I don't have one either.It's a collection I've been meaning to photograph but I need to go without a wife or children.

whqqsh, Oct 31, 7:54am
yup, mines a '58 too. Have been told mines the only one left regd & running. but then Ive heard that before

nathanmac, Oct 31, 7:58am
Yeah it was a car to remember - and a great collection all round.I hadn't been there since my honeymoon so got to have a great look around this time.The kids stayed with the toys and their uncle took them for a pedal in one of the veteran pedal cars (got that on video) so everyone had a great day.Well worth a look for anyone going by.

Regarding the Goliath it's funny because Kylie caught up with me right about when I came across that car (spent a lot of time looking at the early V8's) and she thought it looked ok.When I showed her the photos of the one above she loved it and remembered the one in Wanaka.Looks like I'm going to have to find her one of those now.

nathanmac, Oct 31, 8:00am
Did they have a different grille at any stage!I might be mistaken but the one in Wanaka looked different I think.But I've been wrong plenty before.Doubt it would be registered although some of the cars in there seemed to be kept up to date.

gooddealz2, Oct 31, 8:58am
They also have a 1960 Hansa and a 1961 Borgward.Check out this site and see if you can spot the right grille.While you're there have a look at the Isabella Coupe.In my opinion one of the best looking cars ever built that nobody's heard of.There was a red one in Dunedin for a while years ago and I still remember it.
http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/borgward.htm

nathanmac, Oct 31, 9:13am
No I can't remember why I remember it looking different in the front end - wish I took a picture now.At least that's a good excuse to go back up there for another look.

We went on a Vintage Car run around the back of the Longwoods (near Riverton) a few years ago and we stopped at a farm where a Borgward was sitting in the garage.I have an idea the old guy had it from almost new, and just didn't use it any more.Don't know a thing about them myself but a couple of older guys I know rated them pretty highly.

corky, Nov 1, 1:23am
School mates father had one (if not two) in Raglan. Talking about 1968. Green and white from memory.

ema1, Nov 3, 7:30am
I recall working on a Borgward back when I was in the motor trade, damn solid old girls and well made they were too, sort of in the Vanguard 1957-60 mold of solidness really.
Run into some more modern lightly built car and keep on going just about.

ema1, Nov 3, 7:35am
One of the teachers when I was in my high school days had a early 1960's Hansa Combi wagon similar to this one and it was a bland dull metallic mid blue. Another had a Volkswagon Variant 2 door wagon around 1963 that was when I was at high school.

ema1, Nov 3, 7:58am
This was the VW Variant type a teacher at my school had.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1966_Volkswagen_1600_Squareback.jpg The Hansa Combi I mentioned above I recall had vertical tail lights like this one here. http://www.justacargeek.com/2010/07/1959-goliath-hansa-borgward-station.html

ema1, Nov 3, 8:05am
These big Borgward P100 sedans were right up there with the Mercedes Benz models of the time and apparently they had a good name in Europe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Borgward_P100.jpg

whqqsh, Nov 3, 8:28am
much like other cars of the era, fins definitely were coming in & Hansa carried on the name into the 60s & got more pronounced tail-light appendages

drog, Nov 3, 6:36pm
Many years ago, a friend had a Goliath with a 2 stroke engine - 3 cylinders from memory. Does anyone remember these!

ema1, Nov 4, 5:43am
Nope they were 2 cylinder inline and were believe it or not were fuel injected.
Only seen one of thoseGoliath 2 cyls in bits on a bench.
Never saw the car as I think the engine powered a saw bench or some other contraption!
I think they were transverse front wheel drive a bit like the 3 cylinder 2 stroke Auto Union DKW Junior. I had a bit to do with a couple of those DKW's actually, smokey little wretches I recall and sounded like an angry 2 stroke lawn mower ha ha.
There were various 2 stroke cars from both East & West Germany
The EastDDR had the Trabant and also the WartburgOther West German GDR jobs included NSU carsPrinz rings a bell.
Sweden had a famous one and was very successful in rally's, the 3 cylinder 2 stroke SAAB, later re-engined with a V44 stroke/cycle unit.

saxman99, Nov 4, 5:49am
Very nice mate.