Fair enough?. A person goes into a caryard with their old car about to die a horrible death from years of neglect they negotiate

Page 1 / 2
kazbanz, Oct 29, 2:40am
A person goes into a caryard with their old car about to die a horrible death from years of neglect.
They negotiate a deal on a much newer car subject just to the dealership getting finance.on that basis leave a $200 non refundable deposit.-deposit refundable only ifno finance is available.
Someone else gets involved insisting on an AA vehicle inspection.
Finance is aprovedand the AA report finds 3minor issues which the dealer immediately has resolvedby replacing the parts in question with new parts and has a receipt to confirm the work was carried out.
The someone else then calls to say they have decided they buyer isn't to go ahead with the deal -No reason for this.
-Fair enough not to refund the deposit!

rob_man, Oct 29, 2:44am
Yep, keep it and put the price up because you've done work on the car.

3tomany, Oct 29, 2:45am
thats car sales for you, the deposit should be returned in good faith, win some lose some be nice and the customer might return another day, be mean and the customer will never return

mrfxit, Oct 29, 2:46am
No reason at all to refund on that basis.
For a start .

#1 The dealer isn't conversing with the buyer
#2 "$200 non refundable deposit.-deposit refundable only if no finance is available."
#3 Vehicle is in confirmed good condition,'as per description & applicable dealer/cga warrentys etc

bellky, Oct 29, 2:49am
Car dealer needs to think about how they want to run their business.

elect70, Oct 29, 3:06am
They broke the contract non refundable . Try it when buying a housetheRE agent keeps the deposit .if break the terms of sale &pull out unless itsstipulated in B&Win cointract exclusions .

bwg11, Oct 29, 3:24am
Absolutely no refund. How many hours have you wasted with them! Typical behavour - one thing that my time in the car trade taught me is that, "Buyers are liars".

attitudedesignz, Oct 29, 3:30am
Yep, fair enough kaz'. Pretty straight forward.

I'm sure if everyone said the earth was round and grass is green you'd argue they weren't just for the sake of it.

bellky, Oct 29, 3:34am
See 3tomany's comments at post #3; 'pretty straight forward' if it were me.

tgray, Oct 29, 3:34am
Is this a retorical question!

countrypete, Oct 29, 3:47am
It's absolutely fair enough not to refund the deposit - the dealer has a contract, and like any retail operation, you can't just back out or return goods because you changed your mind.

BUT.I think it would be a knee-jerk reaction to refuse the refund - as much as the dealer is in the right, it's a no-win situation for that dealer, and it's not worth the hassle to keep it.Better to retain the moral high ground and give the money back.You know you're right, and, actually, so does the customer. but the negative of the customer telling ten friends etc etc, is just not worth it.Breathe deep, refund, and know you are morally superior.

attitudedesignz, Oct 29, 3:48am
So what part of "non-refundable" do people not understand tho'!

If "the dealer" refunded the NON-REFUNDABLE deposit then doesn't that just contribute that little bit more to the fact this country is full of (and getting fuller by the day) people who beleive and feel they are "entitled".

Sorry 'bout the thread jack kaz', my far right tendancies are playing up alot today.

bellky, Oct 29, 3:50am
Not only that^ (countrypete) but the chances of selling a car to that person or any of their family, friends, and aquaintances just went way up.

3tomany, Oct 29, 3:51am
+1. it depends if the dealer is a fly by nighter or is in business for the long haul , customer satisfaction is worth more than 200 bucks

3tomany, Oct 29, 4:03am
Even with a house if deposit was pending finance or other conditions it would still be refunded if the deal fell through due to not meeting any given conditions, only can it be kept if sale goes unconditional wich meens you own it. i am sure if the car had had its ownership transferred the costomer would have to keep the car or lose the deposit

bellky, Oct 29, 4:06am
Yep 3tomany^, in 1996 a friend of mine kept 50k because the buyer couldn't actually pay the balance owing when the time came.

countrypete, Oct 29, 4:09am
Belky, this is hypocritical.How do you know why the car buyer is looking to back out of the deal!As I said, the dealer is completely entitled to keep the deposit.Your friend, by your own logic, is an ass!

countrypete, Oct 29, 4:13am
In this sort of situaltion they buyer will likely bag the dealer anyway - the likelihood is the "friend" thinks the price too high or the trade too low, or whatever, and no matter what the dealer does now, he / she will be the bad guy.It's one of those situations you hate, but are in a no-win situation, and the easiest thing is extract from the position, refund the money, and write it off to experience.

And no, I am not a car dealer.

trdbzr, Oct 29, 4:13am
As long as the buyer was completely aware that the deposit was only refundable subject to finance not being approved, then its fine not to refund it.

But just give them the refund and be done with it. Its not worth the risk/hassle/headache.

extrayda, Oct 29, 4:30am
Completely fair not to refund the deposit.
I wouldn't want the guy coming back to 'buy' another car if I was the dealer.If there had been any major issue with the car, that might be a bit different.Some people are just like that, the same type you see on here who 'accidentally' made a bid, or whos 'child' made a bid on something then they request it to be removed - potentially screwing up someones auction in the process.

newtec1, Oct 29, 4:30am
Yes,the dealer kept to his side of the bargain,and the buyer thought he would introduce a problem do wriggle out of the deal.Very clear in my book.

extrayda, Oct 29, 4:32am
Car Dealers are not a charity last time I checked.
I completely agree with the comment attitudedesignz made earlier in this thread.
NZ is getting a really bad case of entitlement and complete lack of personal responsibility.

fordkiwi27, Oct 29, 4:39am
kaz have they asked for the money back!

quickstitch, Oct 29, 4:47am
ok, how about if the dealer got offered more from another customer and sold it, then when customer one turned up, he handed him his deposit back. They would be jumping up and down, it goes both ways, dealer ihas the right to keep the deposit, but as others have said, it may be easier to just hand back the cash and walk away

edangus, Oct 29, 5:04am
I think it would be fair to keep it.

In saying that though, its only $200.00 and probably not worth the negativity it could generate. If we are talking $1000.00 I would have to rethink.