Fair enough?. A person goes into a caryard with their old car about to die a horrible death from years of neglect they negotiate

Page 2 / 2
bwg11, Oct 29, 5:50am
I agree, but you don't want the types that will demand a "non-returnable" deposit as future customers anyway. Better to look after your good customers with hassle free minor fixes, free loaner cars etc.

clark20, Oct 29, 5:57am
Give him a voucher for $200 off their next purchase, and make it transferable

ksam, Oct 29, 6:25am
That's a nice compromise, both parties happier.maybe!

gammelvind, Oct 29, 6:38am
I would have to say keeping the deposit would be totally fair enough, but sometimes the poor PR that comes with it aren't worth it. Conversely they might just tell their friends and you miss out on a whole circle of dead heads and save yourself a whole lot of headaches.

mrfxit, Oct 29, 6:39am
Mmmmm a fair compromise but make it expire in 1 year

pico42, Oct 29, 9:35am
Keep the deposit, but have that as a position of compromise. Start with "you agreed to purchase the car, I have completed my part of the contract, you have to complete yours by buying the vehicle".

chook90, Oct 29, 10:13am
I'd keep the deposit and offer them the opportunity to use it toward the purchase of any other vehicle from you.

sw20, Oct 29, 10:33am
I'd refund, but only to the original customer. You have no business relationship with any 3rd party. Get them to come into the yard for the refund so you can maybe sway them into something else on the yard.

amberjandal, Oct 29, 6:56pm
Keep it , put it in an interest bearing account , do it with every punter whodoes this in the future , when you get enough for a boat buy it and call the boat "easy money"

kazbanz, Oct 29, 8:57pm
This is a "semi" hypothetical discussion incidently as even when its a deadhead its not worth the drama not refunding their money.

But for the sake of discussion.
The 3 things picked out by the AA report in NO way add even 1 cent of value to the vehicle.
The three things concerned came to over $500 which cannot be added to the cars price.

bellky, Oct 29, 8:58pm
So what's the point then!

What a waste of effort an time. I'm sorry I participated.

jmma, Oct 29, 9:25pm
So are we (o:

budgel, Oct 29, 9:32pm
What were the three things that needed sorting!

I think you had the moral high ground, but would refund the money or issue a voucher just to avoid hassles.

supernova2, Oct 29, 9:59pm
IMHO its the 3rd party thats the problem here.Tell that person to go away and then only deal with the potential purchaser.If I was in that situation I'd be keeping the deposit.

curlcrown, Oct 29, 10:02pm
Are you seroius. If it was me I would not want the customer to return t a later date, and if he did I would politely decline to do a deal with him.

curlcrown, Oct 29, 10:02pm
Yes. The original person who made the deal needs to tell you them self.

bellky, Oct 29, 10:25pm
Yep, petrol goes stale if left in a tank for more than 3 weeks 0);

elect70, Oct 30, 3:30am
There once was a fairycalled nufffairenough

bitsy_boffin, Oct 30, 3:59am
Non refundable deposit is non refundable.

However, there could be circumstances where that's not the morally right thing - for example if the original person was an elderly person who may arguably not have been entirely competent to go into the deal, if so, then imagine it was your own granny, you'd expect some compassion there.

jmma, Oct 30, 4:28am
My advice to you then girlfriend, is not to put petrol in your tank then (o: