VQ30DE spark plugs

monaro17, Oct 29, 10:12pm
My manual says to use platinum tipped NGK pfr5g-11 spark plugs In my Cefiro, however I have looked around and the price of these are sky high (upwards of $32 each- and I need 6!)
My question is. is it going to make any difference if I use cheaper non platinum ones! Or should I just bite the bullet and pay the premium!

Thanks

bjmh, Oct 29, 11:02pm
platinum ones are replacement at 100000km ,they are not nice to replace on rear cylinders so the least amount of times you have to do it the better,i guess you need to decide if you are keeping the car for another 100K

monaro17, Oct 29, 11:20pm
Thanks, however I'm not so worried about the replacement intervals as much as any performance deficiencies in not using platinum tipped plugs. Will the car perform less or use any more fuel if I use cheaper plugs!

bjmh, Oct 30, 12:00am
won't make any difference to how it performs

floscey, Oct 30, 12:54am
FR6KPP33X+ BOSCH PLUGS$20 each

monaro17, Oct 30, 5:28am
Still pretty expensive, but I suppose that's what you have to pay

dent, Oct 30, 5:42am
The long lasting plugs are less prone to missfires. Missfires can cauze damage t the coil packs. Those cheap plugs could cost you a coil pack.

raymond00001, Oct 30, 5:45am
Yep there was something about this on the skylines australia forum under stageas. Think nippon denso were the plugs to get pricewise. Took one look in that angine bay and yep the mechanic will be getting paid to do that. I'd get the intake plenum chamber cleaned at same time too. These direct injection VQ engines tend to gather dirt in there and foul oxygen sensors. Keep close eye on fuel usage figures as an early warning.

monaro17, Oct 30, 5:48am
VQ30DE is in direct multipoint injection not direct injection.