Spark Plug covered in oil

e_babe, Nov 3, 10:20pm
that now explians why the car died on me. have checked all 4 spark plugs but only one has oil over it. Have cleaned it off and car is going to mechanics to be fixed. Going to have someone follow me incase it dies again and needs to be towed.

But any ideas what could cause this car is 93 Honda Domani

Problem was car started fine yesterday morning and then just got down the road and died.It would not start again, would turn over but just not start. Left it for about 15 min while waiting for my tow and thought I would try start it again and it started and I managed to drive it home.

e_babe, Nov 3, 10:52pm
Thanks for that did wonder if spark plug would have nothing to do with it, as my last car a mazda lantis ran very rough but kept on running when 4 spark plugs were all covered in oil.

I wondered if fuel filter could be a problem as when driving down the road car felt very sluggish and was a bit jerky just before it died

vtecintegra, Nov 3, 10:57pm
It sounds like the classic Honda main fuel relay problem

Worth investigating at least: http://www.nzintegra.com/mainrelay.html

e_babe, Nov 3, 11:07pm
Thanks will have a look at that

phillip.weston, Nov 3, 11:51pm
yes either main fuel pump relay or the ignition module inside the distributor.

mrfxit, Nov 4, 12:56am
BuTT . if it was covered in OIL, how does that have anything to do with excess or unburnt petrol or FUEL filter or spark!

drew2009, Nov 4, 1:44am
As above get fuel pump relay checked out, thats a good starting point.
I doubt if the oily sparkplug has much to do with it but new spark plug tube seals wouldnt be a bad idea. Also check the car isnt overfilled with oil (check when its cold and been sitting for a while, first thing in the morning before uve driven it is ideal).

phillip.weston, Nov 4, 2:15am
it's probably the exposed end of the spark plug covered in oil - ie from a leaking rocker cover gasket. If the plug was covered enough to break down conduction between the plug lead and the plug, the engine would mis-fire rather than just cut out at all and re-fuse to start unless left to cool down and then start up 100% again - this is a clear symptom of the ever happening Honda main fuel pump relay problem, or the module inside the distributor packing up (which happens to the V6 SOHC Mitsis too)

kazbanz, Nov 4, 4:34am
Hey guysI'm NOT arguing your logic or experience here but what PART of the plug was/is all covered in oil!
I just wonder if in fact the rocker cover gasket has been weeping into that plughole -slowly filling it with oil. Remove plug. dry out cap and plug and bingo its all fixed

mrfxit, Nov 4, 4:45am
Yep always a possibility & so often the case
Yep same for Phillip

johnf_456, Jan 29, 8:48am
Yup keep it simple stupid (kiss), as cars get older its very common to leak around the rocker cover.