Mechanical warranty is it worth getting

Page 1 / 2
tammythunder, Feb 22, 9:19am
Hi Folks, This is an old thread but I have a question that matches it. I bought a car from a dealer, but havebeen surprised by the price of servicing. My car is a Mitsi Diamante. Which has been good as gold. its at 105k now. What I have been surprised about is the price of services, which must go through the dealer . The first service, 90k service was going to be 1800 before I complained. The next one similar, I am quoted 1800 for cam belt and service. Are those numbers high, or am I a bit out of touch. I am weighing up giving up on the next 2.5 years warranty and just use a regular garage. after all servicing at this rate will cost more than the car did with in a few years.

a.woodrow, Feb 22, 9:40am
It's not necessarly steep depending on the motor and what needs to be done at the service, but I would tell the dealer you are considering going to a "regular garage" due to the high service costs and see what they will do with the pricing for you. also depending on the warranty it may not be void if you go somewhere else, read the fine print

franc123, Feb 22, 10:05am
You are going to have to expand on what you were actually going to get for your 1800$, it may be reasonable depending on whats included, ie full timing belt job, normal oil service, filters, fluid flushes etc. If a trans flush is included in the price they're doing you a favour, trans oil is theabsolute last thing you should neglect on an ageing mitsispitzi. Some services will be more expensive than others, why people don't understand this and that a periodic oil and filter change is all a car will ever need is anyones guess. The level of ignorance in NZ about these things is amazing.

oakie, Feb 22, 6:20pm
Warranty seems quite cheap!. what is the name of the warranty you are being offered or is the dealer funding their own warranty!

tammythunder, Feb 22, 6:30pm
Thanks for the answers. I will perhaps be brave and stick to the warranty. I do take your collective point that a lot gets done at these key mileage services. I think perhaps you let yourself down franc123 when you started with really good helpful advice which is much appreciated, but then chucked in the cheap shot at the end. "The level of ignorance in NZ about these things is amazing".

kazbanz, Feb 22, 7:33pm
TammyThe KEY point is that you need to know what your $1800 buys.
Franc says it in post 17 but I'll try palain english
If its JUST oil change and a look over then its expensive
If it includes actual servicing of a range of items -transmission,brakes,etc then it may be ok price wise.
I would STRONGLY recommend getting the list of work they carry out in that $1800 service.
I must say that you do NOT legally have to use the franchise dealership for service work to retain your factory warranty.There was a court case recently that clarified that matter once and for all.
In case you can't tell Yep I have an issue with factory warranties.The main reason being what you are experiencing.
You are paying top dollar for service work (Not suggesting not doing it)
Where the self same service work could be done for half that price.

franc123, Feb 22, 10:24pm
It wasn't a cheapshot or even directly at you personally, its the way you choose to interpret it and merely a personal observation.It quite common overseas for cars with no or incomplete service histories to be regarded with suspicion, and possibly have its market value or even its ability to be sold drastically reduced. Customers I have here from the UK for instance seem to have a better understanding and expectation of whats required for the cars upkeep instead of pleading ignorance and moaning about the bills or moaning even louder if something breaks or wears out like locals do.

trader_84, Feb 23, 3:29am
Franc does not mix words and this can come across that he is an abrasive prick. But you said yourself that his advice proved helpful . and re the rest of what you reckon! Pfffftt - build a bridge.

tammythunder, Feb 24, 8:01am
Very much appreciate your help, and thanks Franc123. I guess I had my precious head on my shoulders that day. Thanks all

franc123, Feb 24, 8:17am
No problem, I'd have to say that in the majority of cases people that have chosen to take out mechanical insurance generally haven't regretted it, even if it only ever delivered peace of mind.Comments like in post #5 about "extra servicing" are hilarious to say the least, a flick through a typical warranty booklet reveals service requirements that are pretty minimal and what any responsible owner would be doing anyway!Best of luck with whatever you buy.

gunhand, Feb 24, 8:24am
My sister in law recently brought a VE Commodore (well her husband thought she needed it anyway) she now calls it "The Monstrosity".I think she wishes she had a warrenty.

groovebox, Feb 24, 8:31am
Have had an MBI - AutoSure - servicing requirements were easy to meet as my mechanic is MTA etc as well - when a claim was lodged it was dealt with quite promptly (took 2 days to get assessor's sign off) I thought and the amount more then covered the initial cost of the MBI. Plus got a rental car for a day to tootle about in. (Plus the breakdown could not have happened at a worse time financially for me - I would have had to get a loan to cover repairs)

When I got the warranty a lot of people said "not worth it" but I am risk averse! When I lodged the claim I was thinking "I bet they find some reason NOT to pay out" but it was pretty stressless. The dealer was my first port of call (car owned for 15mths at that stage) and he said "you are covered - make a claim".

YMMV

tammythunder, Feb 25, 3:22am
Thanks. Because the Diamante is still behaving beautifully I think perhaps paying top dollar to get it serviced is perhaps not such a crisis. Cheaper than buying a new car and I am one of those silly emotive people who kind of bonds with a car.(although I would never have imagined bonding with a mitsi).

bellky, Feb 25, 9:13pm
I'm going to go against the flow here and say I reckon not much is going to go wrong with your mitsi, and paying those exorbitant service costs (cambelt excluded, probly) is just transferring your wealth to others.

james63, Oct 30, 11:05pm
Mechanical warranty is it worth it for a new Jap import a just bought
1 Year Mechanical Warranty - from $295
2 Years Mechanical Warranty - from $375
3 Years Mechanical Warranty - from $495

thunderbolt, Oct 30, 11:27pm
If something expensive breaks, then yes.

If not, then no.

floscey, Oct 30, 11:33pm
i got a nationwide warranty backin the late 80s on my XD falcon. Trans buggerred out 3 months later , rebuilt trans for the price of warranty .Im glad i got it. No consumer garantee back then.

mybaby, Oct 31, 12:00am
The key word is FROM $295, $395, or $495.

Plus all the extra servicing you have to do to comply with the warranty conditions, plus the excess you have to pay out when you make a claim.

Also dont forget the consumer guarantees act is likely to come into play with many of the problems you would use the warranty to pay for.

Also technically it is not a warranty. You are buying mechanical breakdown insurance.

kdcentralni, Oct 31, 12:00am
Sounds like cost price I would be tempted for 3 year one

james63, Oct 31, 1:05am
I have a grandson who lives nearby,is a mechanic at Honda so I guess its a risk if I dont take it

kazbanz, Oct 31, 1:16am
First of all what is the car!that really does make a difference as to the answer.
My view is that for the first few months nope a MBI is not much value IF you buy from a reputable dealer that stands behind their prioduct.
But its after you can reasonably expect cover under your legal rights that a mbi really comes in.
Or if the dealer seems untrustworthy or a fly by nighter
In fairness I must say not all mbi's are created alike.
The product I sell is Autosure which servicing wise is pretty easy.
The car must be serviced every 15000km or 12 months whichever is sooner -and you use your own mechanic for the servicing.
Some require more regular servicing and franchise warranties used to require servicing in their workshops

thunderbolt, Oct 31, 2:40am
Cars without warrantys still require servicing as well ya know.

Seems to be a common misconception for many NZ car owners.

casper35, Oct 31, 3:14am
true but you cant do it yourself and the services are usually expensive ones.

kazbanz, Oct 31, 3:17am
Expensive by what definition! How much RECENTexperience do you have with MBI servicing requirements!
Ok Ill rephrase.IMO the servicing required by autosure/AA MBI is no more than a prodent/inteligent owner would do anyway

tgray, Oct 31, 3:31am
Some people consider changing $20 worth of parts (oil and filter) a 'service'.