Subaru. Hi all any1 ever pulled a thermostat out of 1 with out pulling everything apart my son brought 1 via trade me to use whe

vomen, Nov 2, 9:02pm
hi all any1 ever pulled a thermostat out of 1 with out pulling everything apart. my son brought 1, via trade me , to use when he gets back at xmas. the guy said done head gaskest water pump etc. we took palmy for a ride, then getting back to levin, the ole gauge shot up. i stop to check radiator but it was cold . hence im sure thermostat. cheers rob

bill-robinson, Nov 2, 9:27pm
well I have an ej20 on a stand and youtake the bottom hose off then the housing it is right there. should not take long but double your time allowance just in case.

vomen, Nov 2, 10:36pm
ta just that someone said top and others bottom cheers

bill-robinson, Nov 2, 11:07pm
just above and forward of the sump. it is the same on the stand with the engine right way up or turned over for those who are confused.

subs1, Nov 3, 3:59am
I have a sabaru grandwagon 2500cc and replaced the thermostat . easy to do , but the radiator is prone to airlocks so pay particular attention to that and make sure the radiator is properly filled . Why they put the thermostat at the bottom of the motor , I don't know . The original subaru thermostats were made so that if they failed , they failed open . Nowaday if the so called genuine thermostats fail they genarally fail closed , causing overheating problems and even sometimes boiling the engine dry and blowing the head gaskets .Goodluck !

mugenb20b, Nov 3, 7:31am
This will have a happy ending I'm sure.

llortmt, Nov 3, 7:36am
When they take delivery of their new vehicle

aredwood, Nov 4, 1:19am
Check the 2 bypass hoses going to the thermostat. They should both be hot and have good flow. If not enough flow thermostat won't open much yet car will still be fine if not much cooling needed. (eg gentle around town driving) Car will overheat when temp creeps up enough for fans to stay on all the time, water returning from radiator gets fully cold combined with only small amount of hot water from bypass hoses. Thermostat closes = Overheating. Check for blocked heater core, if heater has been disconnected heater hoses should be joined together instead of being capped off. Heater return pipe is 1 of the bypass pipes.

stephenb1, Nov 4, 2:44am
they real dogs 2.5 motorsdump it, i repleced my 2.5 with a 2.2 far better in al ways.

stephenb1, Nov 4, 2:53am
iv got a 95 sub with the 2lt motor as well and iv never done any thing on other than the c/bet now on 387000 but granwagon130ks then od, look good but the motor are crap. it would be better to stay away from 2.5 motor i havent found one mechanic that has a good word to say about them.