Ea falcon help

motorboy2011, Nov 3, 8:13pm
Workmates ea falcon wagon has developed a problem where it seems to change very harshly when you shift from N into D or R, to the point where it often stalls. Once into gear it's fine though, any ideas!

intrade, Nov 3, 8:24pm
Ea is a$hitfighterso my australian mate who had loads of au cars. i woud check the trans fluid and what the color looks like usually mesured with engine going on most automatics cant ask my mate no more what he knows about these as he died 4 month ago

unbeatabull, Nov 3, 10:30pm
Fluid level, idle speed.

motorboy2011, Nov 4, 12:40am
Idle speed good, will chech fluid

unbeatabull, Nov 4, 3:38am
You sure! What RPM is it at in neutral and what RPM is it at in Drive!

motorboy2011, Nov 4, 8:33am
Rpm in N is just under 1k, same in D and R. It's the going into D and R that it stalls, and makes a rather large thud

franc123, Nov 4, 8:59am
The thudding is occuring because its runningfar too fast, it should only be 700 max when out of gear, they will do that if idling too high. If its got the throttle body injection I'd first check that it hasn't got any vacuum leaks, this makes them idle too fast.

franc123, Nov 4, 8:59am
The thudding is occuring because its runningfar too fast, it should only be 700 max when out of gear, they will do that if idling too high. If its got the throttle body injection I'd first check that it hasn't got any vacuum leaks, this makes them idle too fast, which is the opposite to how most injected cars behave. Poor connections at the battery and batteries themselves that need to be replaced that let the computer supply voltage drop too low during cranking also causes weird problems with those things, they forget to idle properly.

unbeatabull, Nov 4, 9:00am
As above. Should be around 750-800rpm.

ballin2014, Nov 5, 9:07am
hey stacy, why not take it into precision automatics on brougham street for a free road test and they will tell you straight what the problem is with your car.

chebry, Nov 5, 10:33am
FFS its a EA push it over a bank

franc123, Nov 6, 8:43am
Because hes a one eyed Holden muppet with absolutely nothing useful to contribute thats why. Just read some of the other incorrect crap posted in many other threads.

chebry, Nov 6, 9:17pm
Not quite the EA was by far the worst car by Ford AU ever it was meant to be an upgrade from the XF but was in fact a gigantic step backwards.

bellky, Nov 6, 10:32pm
Jesus chebry you talk some crap.

intrade, Nov 6, 10:38pm
no he is correct thats the same thing my dead friend said and he owned loads of coons in australia in his over 30 years there.

bellky, Nov 6, 11:01pm
Oh ok fair enough intrade, I didn't realise your friend had said that. Sounds like Ford should have saved the 700m$ in development cost for the EA and just kept facelifting the XF :)

chebry, Nov 6, 11:23pm
No Balky they released it only half baked the car was designed for a AOD trans and none was available so it got a 3speed The engines leaked oil which is an inspection fail in OZ The suspension wasnt fully adjustable and the car was generally underdeveloped. The 4speed auto later became available hence the EA2 and the oil leaks were designed outso the 4.0 badge was fitted as the 3.9 was unsaleable by then, consequent models improved untill about the EL which was a good car then later the awful AU hit the market and was so ugly it wouldnt sell though it was a good car. The EA is what caused Dearborne to threaten Ford Australias closure due to excessive warranty claims they really were that bad. What saved Ford AU is that horrid Taurus that was so bad it made Falcons look ok. It was fun to drive past Broadmeadows and see all the Falcons parked outside with huge lemon stickers on them parked by disgruntled customers fed up with warranty problems. Fixing EAs now! dont be daft they were crap new and didnt age well.

bellky, Nov 7, 12:14am
Thanks chebry, that's^ interesting cheers :)

unbeatabull, Nov 7, 7:12am
Pretty much as Chebry said, the first two models or so of each series from Ford Aus should always be avoided. They got it right with the EF/EL and the AUII/III were great mechanically sound cars. BF-FG are pretty damn good as well (FG really is just an updated BF)

chebry, Nov 7, 7:24am
The motoring public are the proving grounds for FoMoCo Henry did the same with the V8 Ford OZ came unglued when Holden suddenly released the VN Commodore and the EA wasnt ready it was rushed out to the showrooms full of faults and the warranty gamble didnt pay off.

unbeatabull, Nov 7, 7:32am
Yup. Holden is no better though. Aus cars in general have been hit and miss.

chebry, Nov 7, 7:33pm
Models like the VL were problematic the Nissan motor is too tall for the engine bay and the head can run dry leading to cracking common fault in OZ and of course they dont have Skylines dead on lawns everywhere for parts. The VN was a dog but the EA was so bad it made the Holden look good.

unbeatabull, Nov 8, 6:41am
Not to mention the amount of valves the V8's used to drop and the timing chain issues :P

As a whole though, Both Ford and Holden are hit and miss. You really gotta wait a few years after a model is released to see if its a good one or not then buy.